Ferry from Barcelona to Rome

Andrew 789

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone on here used the ferry to Rome (I know it doesn't go exactly to Rome but I cannot spell Civienccia or wherever it is) from Barcelona?
I think it would make a great trip in late May taking in the Pyrenees and Alps

Why the fuck would you want to spend all that time on a ferry when you could enjoy the ride. Big difference between being a sailor or a biker.

Derek

Why the fuck would you want to spend all that time on a ferry when you could enjoy the ride. Big difference between being a sailor or a biker.

Derek

Time, maybe? It's around 20 hours. How long would it take to do that run on the bike then, not slogging it out on the main roads?
Seems like a neat way of linking up those two places. Oh and it's shorter than the UK- Spain routes which are pretty popular.
I'm not sure of your rules. Are bikers allowed to use tunnels if they're not pot holers? Any other rules out there in your world we should be aware of? :)

Yes, three years ago en-route to Pompeii to meet some friends; it's a bit more commercial than leisure oriented but perfectly adequate for 20 odd hours. The Barca end is almost at the end of Las Ramblas which made it very convenient. Highly recommend :thumb2

Says hard man Del, who takes the ferry to Norway instead of riding, then wonders what underwear to take:

Well, Hellooooooo sailor.. :D

5420929571_da97af1ed1_b.jpg

I thought R&R had been outed as yet another flying pharmacist :tosser

Thanks for the useful replies guys.
As always time is an issue here.
We all would love to spend our entire lives riding around the south of France drinking fine wine and smoking Gittanes, however the real world dictates that we have to get back and do some bloody work.
So I figured this ferry would save a few days and make for a nice round trip.
However Tripadviser reviews don't recommend it.

Reckon the ferry sounds an excellent idea. It's not something I've considered before but you've got the old grey matter wondering now............ TBH the ride up from Barcelona and along the bottom of France is pretty dire unless you have time to kill and go on back roads only.

Andres

I must confess it was inspired by Aidan's trip around the Med detailed on here some years ago; we went Plymouth - Santander, then roamed across Northern Spain to Barcelona, stayed a couple of days then got this ferry to Citivecchia (port for Rome) before meandering down to Pompeii where we stayed for a week. Rode back to Roscoff (four days) for the ferry back to Plymouth. All very relaxing, except for the Rome ring road which was quite scary.

I must confess it was inspired by Aidan's trip around the Med detailed on here some years ago; we went Plymouth - Santander, then roamed across Northern Spain to Barcelona, stayed a couple of days then got this ferry to Citivecchia (port for Rome) before meandering down to Pompeii where we stayed for a week. Rode back to Roscoff (four days) for the ferry back to Plymouth. All very relaxing, except for the Rome ring road which was quite scary.

Sounds exactly the sort of thing going through my mind............. :)

Andres

In the unlikely event you'll need a recommendation, we stayed here, which was cheap, handy for the port and very comfortable with secure underground garage parking.

ps - Pre Plymouth accom always available ;)

Riding along side the Med from Barcelona to Rome would be hell IMHO. You'd need to be a good way inland to find interesting roads or slog it out on the motorways. The ferry seems to make a lot of sense

14hrs driving time v 20hrs laid back chilling :nenau

I thought R&R had been outed as yet another flying pharmacist :tosser

Whoever he is, he likes the ferry to Spain and it seems, the moto rail train from Germany.

I must say, taking a ferry across the Mediterranean between Spain and Rome, looks like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom