ROUTE 66

My wife's a keen pillion, but even she refused point blank to ride on the back of a Harley. We were the only BMW RT riders in the desert South West :p

When was that taken please? I understood bikes were no longer allowed on the Monument Valley loop... :confused:

I did Route 66 in July with Eagleriders. I’d be happy to recommend them or answer any questions you have.

The bike choice isn't a worry, but if your having the US experience, then for me it has to be an Harley :)

I see the guided tour is £4000 with eagle riders meaning i just need to get flights.
Joe, did you go guided or bike only, and free to go as you please?

also if i choose not to do the R66 tour, what eagle riders tour would people recommend?

Rode twice across the States in 17 and 18 from Orlando to LA on different routes . It was on an Eaglerider Harley Ultra . Through the Lost Adventure site we discovered that after Daytona Bike Week there is a deal to be had with cheap bike hire to take the bikes west.Even with the extra covers Two weeks of picking your own route and accommodation except start and finish and a lot of like minded souls doing the same thing.
This was at the end of March beginning of April the only limitation to how far north you could go being the weather. The Ultra was ideal for their roads and comfy for two of us. We only touched 66 at Winslow a must see and west through Flagstaff and Seligman before heading north. Loved the big country As Bilko says more of interest to see than 66.

The bike choice isn't a worry, but if your having the US experience, then for me it has to be an Harley :)

I see the guided tour is £4000 with eagle riders meaning i just need to get flights.

also if i choose not to do the R66 tour, what eagle riders tour would people recommend?

Eagleriders rent out bikes or provide full guided tour with all logistics done. They offer a range of itineraries.

We did Route 66 guided. There was a person on our group that had previously done the Wild West tour which sounded excellent, requiring more riding skill, less interstate and more remote areas.

https://www.eaglerider.com/guided-motorcycle-tours/route-66-motorcycle-tour

If I was to do it again I’d arrive a day earlier into Chicago. 47c in the Mojave desert is interesting on Harley. Mid west is surreal. Some areas are still locked down to keep covid out but we saw some incredible sights.

When comparing costs, the Eaglerider trip includes items such as helicopter over the Grand Canyon, etc.

Yosemite Valley/Tuolumne Meadows - Tioga Pass/Mono Lake - Death Valley - Las Vegas/Valley of Fire state park - Zion NP - Bryce Canyon NP - Canyonlands NP - Arches NP - Mesa Verde NP - Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley - Grand Canyon - Joshua Tree

Did basically the same but in reverse, out of & back into LA, with a few other bits thrown in across 4 weeks
Some stunning countryside but food in small town America leaves a lot to be desired
Only bit of R66 we did was from Kingman to Williams & TBH that did us....

I'm pretty certain Eagle Rider do self guided trips or you could work out an itinerary with a little help on here and just rent for a couple of weeks.

I had some friends who did an Eagle Rider R66 trip a few years ago and hated it. They thought it was over organised and they felt they were just being shoved from one coffee stop to teh next. Also the group size was big with riders from all over the world which was no issue apart from the standard of riding was shocking.

We did 66 three years ago for my 50th.
I love "Americana" and Route 66 was a bucket list ride for me.

Yes, there are better rides but it's not necessarily about the ride (or drive) it's more about the history and kitsch!

I chose to go with a company called Orange and Black rather than Eaglerider.
Our guide "Bear" is the foremost expert on Route 66. He planned the original Eaglerider route that they still use and now works for Orange and Black. He's ridden the route well over 100 times now and knows every part and person associated with 66.
Often we would be riding the original road watching the Eaglerider tours pass us by on the highway so I knew we'd made the right choice!

I'll never regret riding route 66 over any other trip - it's full of nostalgia with more than you could possibly begin to see in a couple of weeks.

I say if it's on your list, go for it!

That area is an absolute jewel and why people choose to ride R66 instead of areas like this is utterly beyond me.

Plus one of the above. I've not done Route 66 myself but a few friends of mine have and their descriptions pretty much mirror what's already been said.

I have done Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Hoover Dam etc all of which were amazing....and yes, I do realise that's all West Coast!

I've done 3 ''tours'' in the US now and have to agree with all the comments on Route 66, there are snippets worth looking at but there is so much more to see away from 66.
A few points that we learnt along the way.
Rental - Eagle Riders is the biggest rental agency in the US. There used to be a great little company out of SFO which is great for mid and North Cal - Dubbelju - but they shut up shop a few years back. Old German guy used to run it.
We are heading back to SFO mid September for 10 days round trip and managed to get a couple of GS's from another company called MotoQuest. No Nav mounts on the bikes though and have had to fix my own. Thanks to Wapping for this one!!
For our first visit to South Cal back in 2017 - Nevada, Death Valley etc we did rent a preloaded Nav from Eagle at $25 per day. Absolutely useless! The unit was an old Gamin version that never worked properly and the routes were not great. Having lived 4 years in Orange County I redid all the routes myself. Annoyingly they clearly stated that their BMW's did not come with NAV mounts which was complete rubbish as both bikes we rented had powered NAV mounts so i could have bought my own GPS unit. Clever / Cheeky marketing on their behalf. I try to absolutely avoid Eagle at all costs!
We also rode out of Denver into Utah, Arizona etc a few years back (2019) and rented from Colorado Motorcycle Adventures - they had new GS's and were very helpful. Nav mounts and all the extras.
There are indeed so many great routes on the West Coast, my favorite being out of SFO and then round trip via the Sierra Nevada's, Tahoe and Eureka back down. Hotels are easy to arrange as are the routes, I have quite a few 8-9 day tours on my own website so if interested PM me and I 'll send you the link. Hotels, routes & all.

Not having a language barrier I'd put together a route using suggestions from others who've ridden the area, Bilco has offered, and just take off on your own. Sam (from Arizona) has made a wonderful video of riding his Guzzi V85TT in the US west, up to Canada and down to Mexico (and a little actually in Mexico). Anyway it'll give you an idea what you can expect if you choose nice routes through the region. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwz0jv9ZLmM
Depending on what month you go you'll want to narrow down your tour to a couple States in the southwest, say AZ, Utah, New Mexico in May or Sept. Or if Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho, June-August.
Rental cars will be available in any larger city that you'll fly to but I've heard there's often a shortage so I'd definitely book it ahead. Renting a car from any rental agency on airport property can be more expensive. Interestingly when visiting Arizona in 2020 the cheapest car they offered was actually a Nissan Frontier truck so that's what I reserved. When we went to get it they only had the one and there was some problem with a seatbelt so they said just pick any full size truck for the same price. So we drove all over Arizona for a week in a big double cab Chevy Silverado.
Motorcycles will be far more limited, I'd check Harley dealers because most of them rent bikes.

Just read this in time as a mate and me are visiting Chicago late Spring and we’re thinking of touring for a couple of weeks.

Will look into Death Valley etc as we were thinking Route 66 till now

Back
Top Bottom