701 enduro

Lentarn

Reaction score
Hi, considering a 701e and after opinions of those who have one. Done a lot of long distance road touring on gsa and have skimmed down my kit. Thinking of the 701e to do long distance tours, packing light but getting off-road a lot more. Trips would be for instance riding to Iceland then exploring, going across the USA on trails and Portugal north to south off-road. Camping as I go but there is always going to be stretches of road on these long trips

After views on whether a modded 701e is up to the task. I’ve read a few sites but difficult to get a real view of whether this bike is up to the job long distance solo

Rob

Hi, considering a 701e and after opinions of those who have one. Done a lot of long distance road touring on gsa and have skimmed down my kit. Thinking of the 701e to do long distance tours, packing light but getting off-road a lot more. Trips would be for instance riding to Iceland then exploring, going across the USA on trails and Portugal north to south off-road. Camping as I go but there is always going to be stretches of road on these long trips

After views on whether a modded 701e is up to the task. I’ve read a few sites but difficult to get a real view of whether this bike is up to the job long distance solo

Rob

Maybe one of these could do the job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180225-081527.jpg
    Screenshot_20180225-081527.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 966
  • Screenshot_20180225-081458.jpg
    Screenshot_20180225-081458.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 943
  • Screenshot_20180225-081420.jpg
    Screenshot_20180225-081420.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 938
Maybe one of these could do the job.

Maybe it could but the OP was asking about the 701E,not looking for alternatives !

Rob,

Can’t really help, but I had the 701sm and the motor is ultra smooth if you get 2017 onwards which has the twin balancer shafts.

Maybe it could but the OP was asking about the 701E,not looking for alternatives !

Rob,

Can’t really help, but I had the 701sm and the motor is ultra smooth if you get 2017 onwards which has the twin balancer shafts.

I thought the SWM was based on the same motor; :nenau. I saw this one at Hartland quays last year and thought it looked quite tidy and versatile .

I've been looking at doing exactly the same thing!
It seems the options for something lightweight and off road with a service interval measured in miles instead of minutes is pretty slim.
The problem I am having is trying to get a demo ride on one to see if it is too vibey or too tall etc.

It seems the options for something lightweight and off road with a service interval measured in miles instead of minutes is pretty slim.
The problem I am having is trying to get a demo ride on one to see if it is too vibey or too tall etc.

PM me Nck, I bought a Husky 350 from Dave Wood Racing recently and they had a demo 701sm available.

I’ve got both a 2015 690 Enduro and 2016 690 Duke. The Enduro is quite viby through the bars and because of this I wouldn’t want to ride it long distance. The Duke has the newer engine which is much smoother and I have ridden it long distance for several days without problem.

I think the 701 with the newer, smoother slightly more powerful engine would be great for touring.

Thanks for the replies all - seems like it’s a thumbs up in the main. Have to try one - might be able to get a road ride on an sm demo and a static play on the e.

I have one on order. With any luck, the salt will go away soon and I will go and collect it!
A test ride on an E couldn't be had here either, but a trip on nearly new SM did the trick for me.

https://husky701.blogspot.nl/

The linky: Bromley to Bucharest.

Now I’ve changed the tyres on my 690 Enduro to Avon Trailriders it’s great fun to ride and totally bonkers so much so I don’t want to sell it even though I bought a 500EXC to replace it.

Much more fun around lanes than any big bike

I ended up getting a 2018 701 Enduro. Has been really fun playing on it, very different experience. Things I noticed the most compared to the GS:
Sounds like a lawnmower
So much lighter it feels like a bicycle
Much slower
Front end dives amusingly under braking
Somehow feels more engaging and less serious
By God is it ever tall!!!

I ended up getting a 2018 701 Enduro. Has been really fun playing on it, very different experience. Things I noticed the most compared to the GS:
Sounds like a lawnmower
So much lighter it feels like a bicycle
Much slower
Front end dives amusingly under braking
Somehow feels more engaging and less serious
By God is it ever tall!!!

Me too. Your GS is obviously not an 1150, as my 701E is much faster than one of those. An email to Gorazd at Wings solved the sound / heat issue, and the seat height seemed to become less troublesome after the suspension seals bedded in - it developed a little more sag after a few hundred klicks. Fun though, aren't they?!

Nope mine is a 1200. Wings now fitted! Makes one hell of a difference to the heat, that original can was a bloody liability.

Yep, definitely fun, if I ever get proficient on it it will be practical too!
Surpringly smooth and vibe free which is nice. Lacks a rev counter and fuel gauge and heated grips which is pretty much all I'd change if I had a magic wand. Can't fit after market grips as I only have tiny paws.

Yep, definitely fun, if I ever get proficient on it it will be practical too!
Surpringly smooth and vibe free which is nice. Lacks a rev counter and fuel gauge and heated grips which is pretty much all I'd change if I had a magic wand. Can't fit after market grips as I only have tiny paws.

No reason why you shouldn't fit heated grips because they don't increase the size from what's standard. I fit them to every bike I buy.

I thought the SWM was based on the same motor; :nenau. I saw this one at Hartland quays last year and thought it looked quite tidy and versatile .

The RS650 uses the old Te630 motor... The one you pictured uses the old f650 motor hence why they and the later husky tr650 terra weigh the same. The 701 uses a completely different and new engine compared to the aforementioned.

Back
Top Bottom