Attachments

• Harz route 1.JPG
    Harz route 1.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 362
Quite a nice route from Mottoradundreisen magazine:

9118e61acba154d21a3a069e871aace9.png

44156b271457a193cfe1f735fb5a8c38.png

Easy to chop into BaseCamp or similar

Back at the hotel today (Sunday) after a 160 mile circuit taking in Nordhausen and the inner border museum on the way back.
Saw the aftermath of another nasty bike crash and the roads in the west of the area were very heavily policed with at least 4 sites were cops were plotted up with Pro Lasers or similar plus saw one very suspicious white GS LC floating around fitted with what looked like discreet blue lights and camera gear.
Not stopping the Germans as even some of the Goldwing riders were riding like tw@ts

Back at the hotel today (Sunday) after a 160 mile circuit taking in Nordhausen and the inner border museum on the way back.
Saw the aftermath of another nasty bike crash and the roads in the west of the area were very heavily policed with at least 4 sites were cops were plotted up with Pro Lasers or similar plus saw one very suspicious white GS LC floating around fitted with what looked like discreet blue lights and camera gear.
Not stopping the Germans as even some of the Goldwing riders were riding like tw@ts

That mirrors my experience of the Harz: a fantastic place to visit on a m'bike, but only Mon to Fri. At the weekend the roads are crowded with (mainly) sportsbike riders out to play. And, as a result, a huge police presence on the roads

I'm off to there on Thursday with 9 other riders. We are going to a Suzuki tl1000 meeting at Stiege from the Friday to the Sunday.

Well my conclusion after a 4 day visit to the region is yes it might not be the Alps but for such a relatively small physical location it is packed with a huge number of perfect biking roads interspersed with excellent scenery and numerous Disneyesque towns and villages .
Every road we took seemed to have junctions every few kilometers leading off further into the scenery.
Reckon you could easily pass a week riding in the area and not use the same road twice.
First visit to the region but it will not be the last

Anyone travelling to the area , a personal recommendation for a hotel in Bad Grund at the west of the area and within minutes of some excellent biking roads, we stayed for three nights at the Hotel Gluck Auf, a small & quiet 3 star hotel about 2 minutes walk from the village centre, it was clean , there was a garage for the bikes, place did excellent breakfasts and it has a decent reasonably priced restaurant , a bar and a beer garden.
Owner doesn't speak much English but I managed with my basic German and there are others working there who speak English

https://www.glueck-auf-hotel.de/

Last edited by a moderator:
went to the Harz a couple of years back and thinking of returning next spring/ early summer, so timely post of a recommended hotel with secure Garage, Many thanks

see post 20. Thanks for reading through the posts, not.....secure garage (that can be independently opened by guests for an early start) tools, petrol 50 yards down road, close to town centre

here is a link for all and sundry to the gpx routes I used. Varying distance etc but most are already loops with a close start and end point to avoid confusion. Help yourself https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vsha9kn7jzzsv9c/AAAK5oR83UYcnGmu6MuPJKu7a?dl=0

These GPX files had gone missing but Don was kind enough to share them with me again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oa64979jcem1ig5/Der Harz.GPX?dl=0

They look good but may need checking..... which is always a good idea.

Richard

Here they are displayed in Pocket Earth Pro, on my iPad:

046c300338fcb220c6c3ee85c78c2b16.png

... as an aside, there is a fabulous railway that runs from Wernigerode to the top of the Brocken which is well worth doing when bikes have to go into hibernation! Rather chilly when I did it ...:eek:

Attachments

• fb09.jpeg
    fb09.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 95
  • fb12.jpeg
    fb12.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 107

Back
Top Bottom