Harz routes

Wapping

Reaction score
Whilst looking for something else, I tripped over this site. It has some pretty good, clearly set out, suggestions for simple days out, right up to longer tours:

http://www2.harzpoint.de/motorrad/harz-motorradtouren.html

October 2018: The link has died. I can only assume the website has shut or closed down

But I may have found its replacement. See post #4

Last edited:
It would indeed be nice if the Harz Point site’s owners didn’t alter their web address or close it down.

But hey, that’s life.

Harz routes, courtesy of Harz Point website

If you hunt around it’s possible to find something, though I think it’s just an extract from the original site as it seems to only deal with the West Harz. ‘Die Touren sind von Harz Point entwickelt worden‘ translates via Google Translate to: The tours have been developed by Harz Point. But hey, it’s better than nothing.

https://www.oberharz.de/fileadmin/media/Downloads/Flyer-Prospekte/Bikerflyer_Oberharz2018.pdf

b75a74a35210894489e66fc108323efd.png

Zoomed in a bit:

88b60f997e209bd07f9545f8c08e465a.png

76a47226c08a5b3842b40097c6ca3c78.png

Found from this site:

https://www.oberharz.de/start-sommer/

Then putting ‘Motorrad’ into the site’s search box.

The full blurb on each route says:

Tour suggestions for motorcyclists

Feierabendrunde Harz West 1:

Route: You start in Clausthal-Zellerfeld and drive via Goslar and Oker to Okerstausee, past Altenau and Torfhaus. Afterwards, the route will take you via Sonnenburg and Dammhaus back to Clausthal-Zellerfeld.

Length: 65 km

Duration: about 1 hour

Feierabendrunde Harz West 2:

Route: You start in Clausthal-Zellerfeld. The route takes you via Bockwiese to Lautenthal. Continue on Wildemann and Bad Grund, past Gittelde and Badenhausen, to Osterode. From here you drive past the Sösestausee, via Dammhaus, back to Clausthal-Zellerfeld.

Length: 70 km

Duration: about 1 hour, 15 minutes

Day Tour West Harz:

Route: The winding route starts at the Innerste reservoir and then leads via Seesen, Bad Grund, Wildemann, Lautenthal and Bockwiese to Goslar. Continue on the Okerstausee, Altenau, Dammhaus and Sösestausee over to Osterode. Then it continues via Herzberg, Silberhütte, Odertal to Oderhaus. From here you can make a detour via Braunlage, Hohengeiß, Zorge, Wieda and back to Oderhaus. Or you drive directly from Oderhaus via Sankt Andreasberg, Sonnenberg and Torfhaus to Bad Harzburg.

Length: 250 km

Duration: approx. 4 hours, 30 minutes

As an added bonus, here’s a guide to those all important biker friendly hotels, without which no tour, bimble, hoon or Adventure (with a capital A) is complete. Guard your ‘Pride and joy’....

https://www.mein-tourenhotel.de/hotels_for_your_motorcycle_tour_in_harz

There is a few very scenic minor roads. However, the tarmac is sometimes not ideal for a enthusiastic ride neither are the corners. Beware of coaches using these roads. There is a hot water springs somewhere where I passed through, lovely place but not for hooning about.

There is a few very scenic minor roads. However, the tarmac is sometimes not ideal for a enthusiastic ride neither are the corners. Beware of coaches using these roads. There is a hot water springs somewhere where I passed through, lovely place but not for hooning about.

:nenau

aabd63a3df2b7c9879ca18beedbb5425.png

I agree with Wapping. Having ridden in the Harz a couple of times, I do not recognise the comments made by tanneman. About the only issue I have is that I would not recommend riding their at the weekends, as the sportbike brigades from Berlin and Hannover come out to play. And of course, that means the police come out in force to try to discourage them. On one Saturday ride, I probably saw 4 bikes on their side, jammed under the bottom of the armco.

Lovely area. Highly recommended

Thanks Wapping , more roads to play on :D

Visited the area twice now , midweek both times in August, road closure for repairs time :blast Definately take a map. Police motorcycle training area midweek too, my wife and I spent 1/2hr chatting too them at a lunch stop Will go back at some stage and spend a few days. So many good roads and not enough time.

Having just done the Harz in May, I couldn't fault the roads, corners or regularity of everything. The bends maintained a brilliant curvature, great surface besides the absolute b roads which were well signposted. I'd almost say better condition than France! If you're learning/improving riding skills and corners are your thing, the Harz is awesome! Very reasonable, very friendly and scenic as. Enough for 5 days. I'd say anything more and you'd be a bit stretched to ride all day. Most routes are circular due to length of the Harz.

Having just done the Harz in May, I couldn't fault the roads, corners or regularity of everything. The bends maintained a brilliant curvature, great surface besides the absolute b roads which were well signposted. I'd almost say better condition than France! If you're learning/improving riding skills and corners are your thing, the Harz is awesome! Very reasonable, very friendly and scenic as. Enough for 5 days. I'd say anything more and you'd be a bit stretched to ride all day. Most routes are circular due to length of the Harz.

I'll be riding that area for a couple of days next July. Did you have any preferences in the Harz area or was it all equally good riding fun?
I usually just go to an area and ride about turning left or right as the mood takes.

I'll be riding that area for a couple of days next July. Did you have any preferences in the Harz area or was it all equally good riding fun?
I usually just go to an area and ride about turning left or right as the mood takes.

You can do the above but you will soon leave the Harz as it is not very big - the adjacent regions have some good roads too - I travelled through the rural bit between Siegen and the Harz region and it has some nice roads through river valleys.

My recommendation is to pick a base then do circular tours - we used Goslar and it is a very pleasant place if you stay in the historic centre. Food & beer is relatively cheap compared to France, Italy & Belgium.

You can do the above but you will soon leave the Harz as it is not very big - the adjacent regions have some good roads too - I travelled through the rural bit between Siegen and the Harz region and it has some nice roads through river valleys.

My recommendation is to pick a base then do circular tours - we used Goslar and it is a very pleasant place if you stay in the historic centre. Food & beer is relatively cheap compared to France, Italy & Belgium.

I'll investigate Goslar. Thank you kind sir.

If ww2 history is your thing then a trip to Mittelbau Dora is well worth it located just north of Norhausen coordinates (51°32'09.4"N 10°44'55.3"E) and maybe a run down to the Kyffhäuser Monument location (51°24'51.6"N 11°06'29.8"E), the road that leads you to it is possibly one of the most fun roads i have ever ridden, not to long but more bends than you can shake a stick at, oh and dont go at the weekend it gets very busy with like minded people.

Wessie is right with his advice, Lee too. You could near enough pick any of the larger villages or small towns as a base and ride out from there. If I were in the Harz for a few days, I’d probably select two bases.

It’s easy to join the Kurvenkoenig website. Join it; this will give you access to the full set of downloads, not just for the Harz. Mix and match their suggestions into those from ADAC, Louis or whoever. Then look at a half decent map, it will all then fall into place. For example, Kurvenkoenig have no less than 12 routes, all downloadable in PDF or GPS format, once you’ve registered.

All the PDF files download really well onto on iPad or similar. I’ve also downloaded all the GPS routes into BaseCamp, saving them for easy use.

Here’s a sample, all from my iPad:

8c44f99fa2912f8c40f0ff4e39d65cf2.png

4d83441340c9b4b5ea70c8fe2454ed8d.png

d8aea7e736d6dcf2ab2a120b0402a41f.png

7b62c867876bda7e4f592d21bab17f33.png

Unfortunately, my current plan is to arrive on the Saturday and ride the area on the Sunday (when it's probably at its busiest) then head east as I intend to do the BMW Berlin factory tour on the Monday morning and then head to the Black Sea.
However, I may change my mind on the day, as I'm prone to do!

Unfortunately, my current plan is to arrive on the Saturday and ride the area on the Sunday (when it's probably at its busiest) then head east as I intend to do the BMW Berlin factory tour on the Monday morning and then head to the Black Sea.
However, I may change my mind on the day, as I'm prone to do!
I syed here. Very clean and reasonable. Secure parking. Petrol 100 m away and on the circuit so to speak. For 1 day i’d Do the big loop. https://pensionroseneck.com/pension-roseneck-(en).html

Back
Top Bottom