17 inch wheels on GS-LC

Boxerlust

Reaction score
I have a question for riders who have changed the 19 inch front wheel on their R1200GS-LC to a 17 inch one for whatever reason(s);
-Looks
-lighter steering through lighter rim and less trail
-sport tires available
-boredom;)
-too much money;)
Before I spend a lot of money my question & concern is that you obviously loose 1 inch/25mm on the front going to the 17 which probably translates to half of this number at your footpegs coming closer to the ground.On a ADV or Rally with ADV suspension the TL can't get raised anymore through a longer shock on the front.
Do you guys run into ground clearance problems so you can't really take advantage of the stickier tires because the bike runs out of ground clearance when you start having fun ?
I like quick steering and the looks of the 17 inch conversion but not if it comes with a penalty...
There are plenty of options...
Karl Maier offers forged PVM that are the lightest but equally on your wallet...:D
Rennkuh stock R1200R/S wheel conversion;probably the most sensible solution
Wunderlich offers spoked wheels in tubeless but I don't trust the O-rings not leaking after years of service...
Too bad BMW doesn't offer something like that all figured out and ready to go straight out of Berlin...:thumb

What a hard question , as for me on the standard setup the different tyre choices throws up different issues in the way the bike handles ( i ride fast , enjoy mountain passes and don't care about milage) tried a more road bias tyre and found the bike lazy in comparison to the trail attack 2 Conti tyres . Now if you put pure road wheels and rubber on a chassis that is designed to do all things i think , for me it would compromise the whole concept of the bike , yes it would look good but i personally think its a bit of a waste . Buy a 530 KTM with sm wheels on ... great fun ... or a SMR ..... the bm is what it is a great bike .IMHO

I went down the Rehhkuh route as it is a straight bolt on. Expensive by the time you add your tyre pressure sensors, paint and tyres, but a 20 minutes job once all this is done. And Micheal is easy to deal with and sends by DHL.

I really wanted something different looking that I could tour on but also go out for a blast with my mates. I'm never going to ride the wheels off it, but have been impressed with the handling in the last few weeks.

Looking forward to see which route you go down.

Here is mine.
687939c8b8e8e55bd1a5e8ba54db7a25.jpg

04e72ecc1eb0de8645f6333673f11d3b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went down the Rehhkuh route as it is a straight bolt on. Expensive by the time you add your tyre pressure sensors, paint and tyres, but a 20 minutes job once all this is done. And Micheal is easy to deal with and sends by DHL.

I really wanted something different looking that I could tour on but also go out for a blast with my mates. I'm never going to ride the wheels off it, but have been impressed with the handling in the last few weeks.

I'd love to have a go on your bike! Shame BMW don't offer this as an option from the factory

The Bike's crying out for a 17" front and wider rear, (for fast road riding) no ground clearance issues, just lightning quick steering, just a bit of stability issues at track day speeds ;) sorted by a wider slightly lower 190/50 rear.. great fun

Don't really like the big gap between wheel and beak, but otherwise very nice, though what is wrong with R1200RS as a sports tourer type bike?

no telelever..the best feature on the GS imo

Don't really like the big gap between wheel and beak, but otherwise very nice, though what is wrong with R1200RS as a sports tourer type bike?

I quite like the look of the RS but never ridden one. Dash is a bit horrible and old fashioned looking. Wish BMW would introduce the new TFT on the current range soon

I quite like the look of the RS but never ridden one. Dash is a bit horrible and old fashioned looking. Wish BMW would introduce the new TFT on the current range soon

The dash is poor, but I've learned to live without a rev counter and use Mode 2 for big digital speed plus gear. Analogue Speedo is redundant too.

Love it otherwise.

The dash is poor, but I've learned to live without a rev counter and use Mode 2 for big digital speed plus gear. Analogue Speedo is redundant too.

Love it otherwise.

It's the main thing that puts me off the bike, especially with the TFT out on other models.

Reggie this is all your fault...:thumb
I might follow your path...;)
Rennkuh.de is probably the best way to go even if motorrad-kmaier.de offers those forged PVM wheels...click on "motorraeder" and then "kmaier umbauten"...:bow
The R1200R/S is not the way to go,at for me.Definitely not enough ground clearance, No TL ! and unreadable rev counter.
Just worried about the loss of ground clearance when riding hard.You guys report no problems...
Running hard with some friends on sportsbikes I good some scrapemarks on my GS-ADV pegs running PST2 tires.
If the pegs come 10 mm lower on a GS with 17 inch front wheel that could cause some problems.
Too bad there is no way to do a test ride before spending all that money...but I trust your word...:D
Looks like fun a GS with less trail and front wheel with less gyro for even quicker handling and real sport rubber for a trackday or so...:thumby:
B.t.w. did not buy that R1200S last week;It was fun but not as quick steering and really not that much faster than my ADV and after 60 miles my back started to hurt...

Here is mine.

no telelever..the best feature on the GS imo

True - and one of the reasons I preferred the GS after initially wanting an RS. However the main reason was that after test rides on both the GS proved to be much better two-up.

Here is mine.

Reggie, I want your bike, can I have first dibs when you get bored with it?

I love Reggies bike...:thumby: Too bad the taller/shorter trail ADV suspension is only a option for the Rally.
I wished they would have not discontinued Tripleblack...The premium in coffee brown is not bad but tripleblack is still my favorite color.Tripleblack with black wheels would be bad !
I'm 50/50 on waiting what autumn brings or trade my ADV on a Rally with ADV suspension and give it the Rennkuh.de treatment (only too find out that it handles like a dream but dragging its pegs too soon) and putting the stock wheels back on...;)
If I would live close to Reggie I would buy him dinner and ask him to swap bikes for a short ride afterwards...:D

53ec3ae7daecfc4d92d23d2b379c3be7.jpg

Great run today with my mate on a Multistrada on the way to the Cookstown 100. You would really need to be on a track day to run out of ground clearance, or maybe I’m not trying hard enough. Thanks for all the comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggie this is all your fault...:thumb
I might follow your path...;)
Rennkuh.de is probably the best way to go even if motorrad-kmaier.de offers those forged PVM wheels...click on "motorraeder" and then "kmaier umbauten"...:bow
The R1200R/S is not the way to go,at for me.Definitely not enough ground clearance, No TL ! and unreadable rev counter.
Just worried about the loss of ground clearance .

i think getting the ride heights right is critical that's why i dumped the ESA for the TTX, also ive got the Gilles pegs on which are height adjustable I ride with some quick boys 1000rr, R1m's, The GS is more than a match, so i leave my shiney 1299 in the Garage

Attachments

• 20180322_162300-1.jpg
    20180322_162300-1.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 2,191
  • 20180322_162332 (2).jpg
    20180322_162332 (2).jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 2,246
  • 20170818_173923.jpg
    20170818_173923.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 2,068
@skid06; I run the same stuff as you.Ohlins TTX and BMW/Gilles in the high position on my ADV which is approximately 20mm taller than the regular GS.On warm sticky days running hard pegs will scrape.I was told with the 17 inch front pegs will come down appr. 10mm...

Reggie if you ever get bored with those wheels or sell the bike for something else please let me have first dibs on the wheel kit it looks the tits

Rob

Thanks. Appreciate that. It is sitting in the garage with 344 miles on it. Might be a while before it comes up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom