Fuel tank breather blocked

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My ‘07 RTP requires that the filler cap is opened every fifty miles or so to release a vacuum. The rubber pipe on top of the fuel pump assembly is clear and it’s plastic spigot won’t let me push anything through it

There is no charcoal cannister on this bike so short of replacing the whole and expensive FPA can any one suggest a way forward?

ps. if I let the fuel level fall too low the sides of the tank collapse pushing the base outwards which in turn interferes with the left stanchion and low speed steering

Can you take the filler cap off the tank and check the breather pipe between the cap and the fuel pump assembly that is inside the fuel tank also the breather itself.
It's also possible the blockage can be in the plastic spigot as you cannot push anything through it, have tried blowing through the end of the breather pipe that might free it.

Can you take the filler cap off the tank and check the breather pipe between the cap and the fuel pump assembly that is inside the fuel tank also the breather itself.
It's also possible the blockage can be in the plastic spigot as you cannot push anything through it, have tried blowing through the end of the breather pipe that might free it.

OK, will take the filler cap off and investigate. Can I do any damage attaching a bicycle pump to the spigot?

If it is the rubber pipe that exits by the riders left foot it is clear

I think there should be 2 pipes exiting there. One is for the fuel tip over valve and the other is for the fuel tank vent.

Had the same problem yesterday and Williams Manchester spoke to me with a fix. The problem was low fuel on a really hot day and the gas pressure in the tank was preventing the cap from opening. The fix is to press the front of the cap when trying to open the latch and it works!

Back
Top Bottom