Fastest/Shortest routes

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
During a recent trip to Germany/Belgium i asked my Zumo to avoid motorways.

I set it to fastest route and it took me through every town/city on the journey. The next day i changed it to shortest route and it did the same.

Any idea how you get it to avoid towns at all?

I set it to fastest route and it took me through every town/city on the journey. The next day i changed it to shortest route and it did the same.

Maybe the fastest route, if motorways were to be avoided, was through the built up areas?

Maybe the second day’s shortest (most direct) route was indeed straight across towns?

But hey, the answer to your question is out there, available by Googling ‘Zumo 590 avoidances’ or something similar.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7rzvUQvjpBU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's no fast way to do it; you have to manually enter the details of EVERY town/city you want to avoid. There should be an avoid town/city button, the same as avoid tolls/motorways, but there isn't.

The problem is some villages/towns only have the one main road through so avoiding it would be a mess. Particularly those villages that are just three pubs and a shop - and the shop is also a pub.
Maybe if they had an avoid city/town centre function so that there is natural routing around the periphery routes if available

The problem...

Maybe if they had an avoid city/town centre function so that there is natural routing around the periphery routes if available

Maybe if bods troubled themselves long enough to learn how to:

A. Use their devices

B. Not to rely on it to do everything for them, whilst simultaneously entertaining them with music, phone calls, their tyre pressures, weather updates and sending their position to their mum

C. Create their own routes

All this would be unnecessary

Wapping is right though, build your own routes to avoid where you don't want to go.

I dare say you spent a few bob on a GPS and similar amount on your trip? why not put in some time planning where you want to go, it will pay dividends, avoiding all those snarled up city/town centres giving you more time stonking along some scenic country road where you really want to be, or extra time in the bar at your destination :augie

I have to admit I spent plenty of time before heading off this past week. Then redid it all again after working out how not to plot routes...Anyhow, a couple of pleasant evenings plotting and supping a beer each night kept me entertained. Especially yesterday's 221 mile curvy route from Harz to Wuppertal. Man o Man what a cracker. It was like back to back snake passes and never did I get lost. Only 4 miles on motorway and managed it all in 5.5 hours

Attachments

• curver route.JPG
    curver route.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 198
Wapping is right though, build your own routes to avoid where you don't want to go.

I dare say you spent a few bob on a GPS and similar amount on your trip? why not put in some time planning where you want to go, it will pay dividends, avoiding all those snarled up city/town centres giving you more time stonking along some scenic country road where you really want to be, or extra time in the bar at your destination :augie

That’s all well and good, but doesn’t answer the OP’s question. We don’t always plan and plot routes in advance, so how do you get the device to avoid towns & cities, when planning on the hoof?

Sometimes, ticking the avoid motorways box can shoot you in the foot as 15km of motorway is exactly what you want to bypass an urban area. Have you tried experimenting with the sliders that set the priority for different road types?

I tend to look at a proper map to get an overview, or at least google maps. Later this month to get from Bad Bertrich to Goslar I know I will need to do a bit of autoroute to bypass Koblenz and then a bit more to bypass Kassel. If needed, you can split the route into sections with different priorities.

Back
Top Bottom