Yamaha mt09 GT test ride

malcopopolo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi.

Yamaha had an open day so test ride the MT09 GT.

Really excited as read the reviews and I like the look of the bike, it is far better in the flesh.

Ride if for 45 mins and came away underwhelmed. Preferred my previous 2005 600 Fazer.

Tracer was buzzy at 6k revs plus and frankly boring.

Did like the TFT display, really sharp. Panniers flimsy.

Felt I sat on the bike and not in the bike

Not the sort of bike that would make me want to open the garage and go for a ride.

Note to myself. Don't believe the biased hype from magazines

Hi.

Yamaha had an open day so test ride the MT09 GT.

Really excited as read the reviews and I like the look of the bike, it is far better in the flesh.

Ride if for 45 mins and came away underwhelmed. Preferred my previous 2005 600 Fazer.

Tracer was buzzy at 6k revs plus and frankly boring.

Did like the TFT display, really sharp. Panniers flimsy.

Felt I sat on the bike and not in the bike

Not the sort of bike that would make me want to open the garage and go for a ride.

Note to myself. Don't believe the biased hype from magazines

So you preferred the inline 4 on your 600cc Fazer to the brilliant triple motor in the Tracer ?

Note to self-some people haven't a fucking clue.....:aidan

Sadly my local dealer was not participating on that demo weekend. It would have been nice to compare the new GT with the original Tracer I owned for over 2 years. I liked the engine and riding position but it was the very cheap suspension that made me decide to change. A friend spent over a grand improving his Tracer's suspension but he was not happy with the results and bought a Super Duke.
If I do decide to get rid of the Explorer then the Tracer GT will be on the shortlist of potential replacements, together with the Moto Guzzi V85 if it ever materialises.

Or they have their own preferences and are allowed to have them in a world outside of Arseys!

Yes,how dare they !!!

I was just surprised that anybody could prefer a buzzy inline 4 making about 90bhp to a brillant triple making about 115bhp.
The stand out feature of the MT90/Tracer/GT etc is the motor and it has been lauded all over as one of the best engines out there.
They must have really fucked up on the GT,as I've never heard any of the previous models described as boring.Crap suspension maybe.....but not boring.
But as you say, we're all entitled to our own opinions.....

I was disappointed!

Suggest you have a test ride if interested in one. I could feel vibration through the foot pegs and bars at 6,k revs

Yes,how dare they !!!

I was just surprised that anybody could prefer a buzzy inline 4 making about 90bhp to a brillant triple making about 115bhp.
The stand out feature of the MT90/Tracer/GT etc is the motor and it has been lauded all over as one of the best engines out there.
They must have really fucked up on the GT,as I've never heard any of the previous models described as boring.Crap suspension maybe.....but not boring.

indeed - some folks even think a sub 100 hp Honda parallel twin is preferable to a 160 hp KTM V twin - go figure ;)

indeed - some folks even think a sub 100 hp Honda parallel twin is preferable to a 160 hp KTM V twin - go figure ;)

Depends what bike your two engines are fitted in to....if it's an adventure bike, then I'd take the Honda but if it's a super naked then KTM every time.

Almost had a go on the 900GT after having a ride on the 700 Tracer. I've got an XSR700 and was shocked at how shocking the rear shock was. :blast Almost felt as if every ripple in the road was coming through the seat. Did wonder at one point if the front suspension was working as well, but a harsh use of the brakes confirmed that it was :D I see there's an comfort seat sold by Yamaha, does it work, or does the 700 Tracer need a new rear shock?

I just happened to have the Tracer GT out on Saturday for just over an hour. It was a good morning and the Tracer made me smile. Its engine and gearbox I can only imagine could do very well in racing circles. The A mode was just that an Animal with instant drive from twist grip. It was a little snatchy through towns when in 1st and 2nd gears. The standard mode I found was enough for me. Suspension was good enough for me though a little soft. Had I more time I would have had a go at personalizing it. My bum got sore towards the hours end. It does look a nice bike though. Panniers big enough for solo but a decent topbox for 2 up is needed. All in all I may buy one. Coming on the back of 3 Fjrs and more recently 2 Ténérés a S100XR BMW and a GS at present speaks volumes of the GT.

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

Amazing bikes if you want to go quick and not feel like you're going quick, really liked mine when I had one but triples aren't for me, had yam had a twin of same size I'd probably have it.

I can chip in here as i bought one. I can tell you that after 500 miles the engine feels pretty tight but it hasn't been fully run in yet so theres plenty to come yet. The seat is tough but am starting to get use to it now and dont notice it already, but a quick test ride will have your bum aching for sure.
The quick shifter is lovely, the bike handles smoothly but is set up soft out of the box, so you need to fine tune it for yourself.
My pillion loves it, and it handles great at low speeds, carparks, juntions etc very stable and good for my confidence.
The dash is nice but its not a patch on the new triumphs dashboard.
Did a fuel run and got 208 miles till it stopped, riding all types of roads.
You can not have yamaha panniers and yamaha topbox on at same time, they get in each others way to stop you doing it. But believe Givi top box can be fitted as it uses different mounting points.
Big problem is vibration from right footpeg, i have fitted footpegs from fjr1200 with rubber inserts and this helps a bit, but is still there. Starts about 75mph and goes at 92mph.
I will ask dealer to see what can be done about this on friday when it has its 600 mile service ( £99).
This is the best bike for me, i can only have 1 bike so need a great allrounder, light,pillion likes it, just need to sort out vibration issue.
will report back after service.

Yes,how dare they !!!

I think for many a triple is the best of both worlds but for me it’s the worse of both - just don’t like them. Neither the bonkers top end rush of an IL4 or the proper lumpy torque of a twin.

I had one out for a demo too about a week ago as I am considering a change from my 3 year old Tiger 800 (having come down from an FJR and Tiger 1200). Overall, I thought it was very good. The items that struck me were: very smooth triple, seemed smoother than my Tiger, very good front brake, narrower at the rear of the tank than the Tiger (so hips not so splayed) and a slightly tighter knee angle that I am used to. The standard spec appears good with panniers, driving modes, Traction Control, adjustable suspension - front and rear, adjustable standard screen, TFT instrument panel and cigarette style power plug for accessories. Given all the gizmos, the pricing looks competitive. Subjectively, I thought it was slightly less 'tippy' at very slow/walking speeds than the Triumph. Its on my list as a possible change.

Maybe I was just unlucky but having bought a new Tracer the clocks let water in and the rear shock had rust on it in under 1400 miles. Engine mapping was as bad as the after sales service so it lasted all of 4 months before I traded back to the GS. Engine was superb winding it on and messing about but overall I was disappointed with it which has put me off Yamaha for life!

We've just done 4500 miles down to Greece, across to Italy and back.
My pal bought an MT09 Tracer for the trip. I tried it and didn't like it. Even the comfort seat was no good. Poor suspension, Felt like i wasn't fully connected to the bike.
He got rid of it the day we got back. He's back on an F800R now.

MT09GT

I love mine to bits , came from a tractor , sorry Gs1200 , via an XSR900 which I toured Germany on and loved the motor so much I tried the new Tracer GT on my return and immediately gelled with it , Smooth and re assuring and fitted my requirements as though it was built with me in mind . Top spec for a keen price compared to what's out there and my local dealer Alf England in Bedworth are a proper family business who know how to treat folk with care and a smile at all times , rare I know , but they made buying from the, a pleasure.
I might add that previously I test rode both the Ducati multi 950 and the Ktm 1190 locally and am still waiting fr the dealers to get back to me with a price to change my XSR ! Nil response to me wanting to give them approaching £1100 !!! How do they stay in business ? If they can't be bothered to contact me to sell a bike what confidence does this give me a customer to buy one and rely on the, for support ... Totally inadequate dealer representation
Yamaha Tracer GT , does it for me

I bought a Tracer last year, not the GT. I agree it’s not a bike you would drool over, like an MV or tricked up Ducati, but it does grow on you. The more I own and ride it the more it reminds me of a Z650 I had: does everything I ask of it, never lets me down just doesn’t set the pulse racing when I open the garage door. At the price what’s not to like? I spent some time adjusting the suspension and it’s now much better but still some way off best in class, though I could have said the same about my GS before it got Wilbered. When I sat on the GT at the NEC show the only bit I thought was an obvious improvement was the seat, no longer a plank but something that might be comfortable for more than a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom