So you think keyless is great?

bandytales

Reaction score
Here's what happened this weekend:
I went to a neighboring town (25 miles from home) on Sunday morning on the bike ('17 RTLE).
After I finished there, I started my ride home. At about 1/2 a mile after my journey started, I noticed the Yellow Triangle and exclamation mark, and below it the key symbol with the question mark. I foolishly ignored it because this has happened before when the remote fob was in my pocket, masked (I believe by my phone), so I didn't give it a second thought.
Shortly after this, I stopped at some traffic lights, and as is (now) my custom, I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear] but with the ignition left on. Lights turned green, I hit the start button, dropped the clutch and off I went. Anyhow, about 3 miles later, I was way too hot, so stopped to take a layer off. Same procedure, 'kill' the engine in 1st gear. Ignition left on. I popped the clothes in the top box and then jumped on my bike. Hit the start button....nothing. Checked my side stand up, yep, it was. Still, nothing. Clicked the bike into neutral and tried again...nothing. So pushed the ignition 'off' button and then pushed again to turn it back on again...Oh, no! nothing at all. The bike was now totally shut down.
I went through all my clothing checking for the remote fob and all to no avail. I pushed the bike to a slightly safer location and then started my way back to my start location. EVENTUALLY I got back to where I had started my bike first time and started searching for the key. My lovely Son-in Law, turned up on his bike and he let me ride it (as I knew where I had been). We SLOWLY navigated back to where my bike was marooned with a hope of spotting the fob on the ground somewhere. Nada!
We then went back to my house and picked up the grey plastic emergency key and retrieved my bike. I retraced my route again, and still no sign of the fob.
Here's the thing. If the bike had shut down where it lost the key, I may well have found it. But to only stop once I tried to restart the beast seems crazy.

Here's the bottom line. I COULD have really been in the wilderness with no on to call on.
PLEASE CARRY YOUR SPARE EMERGENCY KEY SOMEWHERE THAT IS ON THE BIKE/HELMET ALL THE TIME.

If I had an ignition key, this COULD NOT happen.

Here's what happened this weekend:
I went to a neighboring town (25 miles from home) on Sunday morning on the bike ('17 RTLE).
After I finished there, I started my ride home. At about 1/2 a mile after my journey started, I noticed the Yellow Triangle and exclamation mark, and below it the key symbol with the question mark. I foolishly ignored it because this has happened before when the remote fob was in my pocket, masked (I believe by my phone), so I didn't give it a second thought.
Shortly after this, I stopped at some traffic lights, and as is (now) my custom, I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear] but with the ignition left on. Lights turned green, I hit the start button, dropped the clutch and off I went. Anyhow, about 3 miles later, I was way too hot, so stopped to take a layer off. Same procedure, 'kill' the engine in 1st gear. Ignition left on. I popped the clothes in the top box and then jumped on my bike. Hit the start button....nothing. Checked my side stand up, yep, it was. Still, nothing. Clicked the bike into neutral and tried again...nothing. So pushed the ignition 'off' button and then pushed again to turn it back on again...Oh, no! nothing at all. The bike was now totally shut down.
I went through all my clothing checking for the remote fob and all to no avail. I pushed the bike to a slightly safer location and then started my way back to my start location. EVENTUALLY I got back to where I had started my bike first time and started searching for the key. My lovely Son-in Law, turned up on his bike and he let me ride it (as I knew where I had been). We SLOWLY navigated back to where my bike was marooned with a hope of spotting the fob on the ground somewhere. Nada!
We then went back to my house and picked up the grey plastic emergency key and retrieved my bike. I retraced my route again, and still no sign of the fob.
Here's the thing. If the bike had shut down where it lost the key, I may well have found it. But to only stop once I tried to restart the beast seems crazy.

Here's the bottom line. I COULD have really been in the wilderness with no on to call on.
PLEASE CARRY YOUR SPARE EMERGENCY KEY SOMEWHERE THAT IS ON THE BIKE/HELMET ALL THE TIME.

If I had an ignition key, this COULD NOT happen.

Great, thanks for the info

Question is though ...

where was the key originally....

if its in a safe pocket why did you go in there? or take it out?

or is it in the lining of your jacket?

So, you lost the key, and have decided that keyless is shite?:nenau

Good luck with the insurance claim if you leave a key on the bike at all times, if it ever gets stolen! :eek:

So, you lost the key, and have decided that keyless is shite?:nenau

Good luck with the insurance claim if you leave a key on the bike at all times, if it ever gets stolen!

Shit, I’m so so lucky .

Just been all over Asturias and the Picos and rode off-road with no phone signal without my spare key . I’m lucky to be here !!!!

Keyless ignition - the answer to a problem that never existed!

Hi Nutty, I guess your comment was aimed at me, so i'll respond.
I have always thought - like Cannopp that Keyless ignition - was the answer to a problem that never existed! However, I like the other features that seemed to be linked to that spec of bike - (Central locking). I didn't buy the bike new otherwise I may well have tried to find an option that ticked the boxes I wanted (including key).
However, the point of this post was NOT to bemoan keyless, but to highlight why owners of such beasts have access to the emergency key al the time that they are away from home. It happened to me, SO - it could happen to others.

Question is though ...

where was the key originally

Somewhere between where I started the bike (because it would have had to have had the key in range) and at that time the key was in my trouser pocket, and the point at which I tried to restart the bike and it wouldn't as there was no key.
However, I continue to search, because you never can tell where these things may drop!

I'm not a massive fan of keyless as the key is so bloody big it's annoying being in the pocket, especially in close fitting bike gear.

That said, I'm more intrigued as to why you kill the bike in first at the traffic lights all the time?

On Ducati multistrada you can put at pin code in to start bike if you lose the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a massive fan of keyless as the key is so bloody big it's annoying being in the pocket, especially in close fitting bike gear.

That said, I'm more intrigued as to why you kill the bike in first at the traffic lights all the time?

I wondered that too; not something I've ever done.

The issue isnt keyless, the issue is, You lost your key!

Aint no different to a keyed bike losing the key... :). Been there and done that

and as Nutty said, hiding a key on your bike however tempting is a no no!

Youd be out of pocket big style if you did that and the insurance cottoned on :( .

I'm more intrigued as to why you kill the bike in first at the traffic lights all the time?

I already answered that in the first post:
I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear]
It is to prevent the crash inside the gearbox when selecting first gear from neutral. It also saves fuel (Tongue in cheek)!

I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear]
It is to prevent the crash inside the gearbox when selecting first gear from neutral. It also saves fuel (Tongue in cheek)!

So you always cut the engine when you stop at lights etc ?

Wait for the new GS, it’ll have stop start technology ;)

Re the OP, I’ve covered tens of thousands of miles on keyless bikes, and never had an issue with lost keys. If I’m ever out, and lose my key, the wife will enjoy having to bring the spare to me! :D

Similar circumstances to a mate, fortunately he had the emergency key, he had dropped his whilst refueling and didn't realise the loss until he stopped for a coffee break some 100 mile later, i think a replacement was £160.

I have keyless on my rt. Yes its handy but things can go wrong. Loosing keys? I lost the keys out of a Honda 175 in 1978. Just fell out. Key hole was down low on those. Whole bunch of keys. Mates bike. Some explaining to do. JJH

When I had my GS ( got an XR now) barnstormer supplied the key with a lanyard to hang round your neck, never put it in my pocket :thumb2

Did you check you jacket it may be the fob is in the liner with a flat battery?

If anything whilst it may be more convenient I think keyless is way more insecure than a physical key

Back
Top Bottom