A few tips from my recent trip round iceland - june 2018

hi222

Reaction score
I recently returned from Iceland. I travelled from the UK, took the 2 day ferry from demark to Iceland.
I was travelling alone so mainly stuck to the ring road, although I did travel on some gravelly side roads and there is some kilometres of gravel on the ring road.

I used continental tkc 70s and they were fine, no issues at all. As far as travelling the ring road its relatively straightforward and loads to see as you go round, different and more dramatic scenery round every corner.

not every one was on an adventure bike , some were on Harleys and one German lady was on a sports bike with sports tyres. she made it round as I spoke to her on the return ferry trip, although she said next time she said she would go again on a more adventure style bike with more appropriate tyres.

The biggest problem I experienced was the wind which can be quite brutal.

I did speak to someone whos uncle was blown off the road and also to a chap who friend had been flown home after hitting some deep gravel and coming off ,so just take it steady in wind or on gravelly road. Also try not to overload with stuff on the bike. Loads of camp sites as you go round, and if want guest houses book in advance.

I can really recommend Iceland , great trip and fantastic riding.

Back
Top Bottom