Things to do around Lake Garda?

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK not a bike trip but we are holidaying very close to Lake Garda (Tignale ) for a week towards the end of August , thats me , wifey and 8yr old daughter.

I'm looking for any sightseeing tips or must do activities that you might recommend, no theme parks or water parks thanks. Flying in to Verona and have a hire car for the week but looking for activities /places fairly local to the hotel, we (they) don't want to drive more than an hour or so from Tignale.

All suggestions welcome. :thumb2

Ian

Go to Malcesine and take the cable car up the mountain( monte Balde), gets very busy so go early. Spectacular views and your daughter can take an Alpacca for a walk!!
The ferries are very good for getting round the lake as the roads are very busy, especially at w/ends, Limone is very nice and ideal for a drink/lunch stop.

Al.

Go to Malcesine and take the cable car up the mountain( monte Balde), gets very busy so go early. Spectacular views and your daughter can take an Alpacca for a walk!!
The ferries are very good for getting round the lake as the roads are very busy, especially at w/ends, Limone is very nice and ideal for a drink/lunch stop.

Al.

Don't forget it can get fairly cold at the top, well worth doing though. We go to Bardolino on a fairly regular basis, it's nice to hire a bike and ride around the front.

Sirmione is well worth a look (but gets very busy!), Torri del Benaco and Garda are both small but we liked them, and Il Vittorale near Gardone Rivera - how many gardens have a warship in them?

If your family are OK with twisty roads then the SP38 off the lakeside road on the western side is worth a go, get on it at the southern end but make sure you stay on the 38 until you get back to the lakeside road - I promise you’ll want to go back on your bike.

Verona is worth a day of your time.

Head over to lake Como and Mandello De Lario where there's a small motorbike factory and brilliant little museum that I just know you'll like ~ it's not tooooo far from Lake Garda but would probably be a full day out on 'lazy holiday time' :)

Andres

Traffic can be absolutely tortuous - don't talk to me about the jams through the tunnels getting from Riva to Limone recently. Usually a good collection of bikers on the front at Limone.

Anyway I reckon stick to the lake & use the ferries. Maybe try wind/kite surfing.

another vote for Monte Baldo

boat trip - go in the late afternoon and watch the windsurfers go across the lake at incredible speeds as the winds pick up - Malcesine to Limone is not too long for the child - promenade at Limone then return to Malcesine

Scenic drive over to Lake Idreo which is quieter and very pretty

Watch out if using water ferries to get around, if it is a nice day sometimes they will decide to take an early finish and leave you stuck........happened to a mate twice in one week

you can hire a small speed boat for anything from 30mins to a day from Malcesine harbour.

you can hire a small speed boat for anything from 30mins to a day from Malcesine harbour.

Ooo thats a good suggestion. Might need to book that . We are meeting my sisters family there , the are holidaying with us and she picked the week. Looks like a bad decision as its going to be mad busy with the locals ,as well as the tourists of course , with loads of industrial/manufacturing business on their 3 week shutdown.

I did some research on Monte Baldo and a few sources say don't go in August as the queues are mad!

Make sure you take plenty of insect repellant and after bite, as the mozzies are relentless at this time of year. I got bitten loads.

Make sure you take plenty of insect repellant and after bite, as the mozzies are relentless at this time of year. I got bitten loads.

Oh joy of joys , the Mrs will love that . I persuaded that this would be more fun than a week in Mallorca. Out hotel is half way up the hillside well above the Lake so hopefully theyll be alright around the pool.

also Malcesine, there's place to hire a canoe for a gentle paddle (EASY KITE surfing lab asd)

mostly I would recommend the bar by the harbour, to sit, drink, eat and watch the world go by... I plan to be sitting there most of the first week of September

Back
Top Bottom