Zeebrugge to ...............

stu1969

Reaction score
I'm putting together a route for next year, taking the overnight ferry from Hull to Zeebugge and I'd like to have lunch in Luxembourg. I know from experience that northen Belgium is a bit boring so I'm hoping someone can suggest an interesting route to the Ardennes.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RiDE website has suggestions, along with downloads.

Several threads have suggestions, maybe not exactly to Luxembourg City but close on.

There’s several stickies with routes including the popular ADAC map routes, right above your head. Download the maps and find the easiest way to join the inevitable dull bit from the ferry to the more exciting ADAC route of your choice. Take risks, have an adventure, be like your avatar.

PS You’ve missed the Ardennes section by quite a mile. But, your not off until next year, so you’ve lots of time to find it and not least, a killer route

I’ve done that route a few times. Without looking at a map, roughly speaking take the motorways to Leuven, aim towards Huy then the N roads through the Ardennes to Bastogne then onwards to Luxembourg. Lunchtime in Luxembourg would be a bit of a push though. I’ve usually had lunch in Huy, coffee in Bastogne and then stopped overnight in Esche-sur-sure or somewhere on the Mosel

Agree that lunch in Luxembourg might be a bit optimistic. You have no control over border crossing at zeebrugge. Sometimes it takes 5 mins. This year it took over an hour

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are struggling, cheat.

Put your start and end points in Kurviger (see posts) and see what it throws up. Ignore (or follow) the roads it suggests at the start of your journey, as you know them to be boring. Then pick up the Kurviger roads at your leisure.

Thanks for the advice. It seems the answer to my original question is simply no, there isn't a reasonable route South from Zeebrugge! And I was very optimistic about lunch in Luxembourg!!

I’d have said blast the miles out until you get to Namur then from there you’ve got numerous routes through the Ardennes that will eventually take you to Luxembourg.

Go and buy a Michelin map then run your forefinger along the roads bordered in green until you find one you like the look of and there’s your route. A fairly interesting one would go Namur - Givet - Revin - Bouillon - Florenville - Arlon - Luxembourg and while you’d be having a late lunch why not stop in one of the small riverside towns along the way?

Edit: I’ve just chucked it through via Michelin and it’s 268 miles and 6 hours which isn’t too bad compared to the shortest route on via Michelin which gives 207 miles and 3.5 hours of less interesting riding.

I’d have said blast the miles out until you get to Namur then from there you’ve got numerous routes through the Ardennes that will eventually take you to Luxembourg.

Go and buy a Michelin map then run your forefinger along the roads bordered in green until you find one you like the look of and there’s your route. A fairly interesting one would go Namur - Givet - Revin - Bouillon - Florenville - Arlon - Luxembourg and while you’d be having a late lunch why not stop in one of the small riverside towns along the way?

Edit: I’ve just chucked it through via Michelin and it’s 268 miles and 6 hours which isn’t too bad compared to the shortest route on via Michelin which gives 207 miles and 3.5 hours of less interesting riding.
Chucked it though Michelin ? Is there electronic Michelin mapping ?

As Andy says, or head for Dinant, there's a good little place called La Saxaphone next to the river on the N95. Really nice food.

Via Michelin. You enter a start and finish then add way points to suit. It takes about 5 minutes to do most simple day routes.

https://www.viamichelin.com

When I’m away I use it to compare various options for the next day while having a couple of beers but the time when it really comes into it’s own is at about 4pm when you want to be somewhere by 7pm and make the best use of those hours.

I'm putting together a route for next year, taking the overnight ferry from Hull to Zeebugge and I'd like to have lunch in Luxembourg. I know from experience that northen Belgium is a bit boring so I'm hoping someone can suggest an interesting route to the Ardennes.
Cheers

If you clear the port in reasonable time it is do-able using motorways as it is just over 230 miles.....Brugges,Ghent,Brussels,Namur,Bastogne and you will be there in less than 4 hours .

Best advice is get the Friday on night ferry and then the roads on the Saturday morning will not be clogged up with as many heavies.

This year we got off the ferry and were basically waved past all the cars ,caravans and campers and got clear of the port in 15 minutes ......... in previous years it has taken well over 75 minutes

My euro trip this year took me from Zeebrugge to Overloon, Cologne, Diez (via the Mohne & Eder dams), Moulin du Ray, Bastogne, Helfaut, Ypres and back to Calais. I had my Zumo 595 set on adventurous routing and rode through some beautiful countryside and fabulously twisty roads. I couldn’t have planned it better if I tried.

My euro trip this year took me from Zeebrugge to Overloon, Cologne, Diez (via the Mohne & Eder dams), Moulin du Ray, Bastogne, Helfaut, Ypres and back to Calais. I had my Zumo 595 set on adventurous routing and rode through some beautiful countryside and fabulously twisty roads. I couldn’t have planned it better if I tried.

Moulin du Ruy.

Thanks to Davy F, for telling me of the slight autocorrection in his post.

Back
Top Bottom