KTM 525 "Touring"

Will you not get reflective glare from lights.? i can see its low down and well forward.
Or a disruptive pattern.

No glare at all due to the tower blocking everything and with the lights kicking out so much light there is no problems at all, I did it partly to protect the lights from stones etc and seens t work well. I thought it its good enough for the Dakar bikes then its good enough for me.

Just making up some extension blocks for the steering damper at the moment and re configuring the switches to make it more ergonomic, such as having the fan over ride on theleft hand side so I can easily switch it while riding etc.

Running out of things to do to it so better go out and ride it again

Really like the concept of turning one of these into a Touring bike but wondered what you do around oil changes?

On my FE350 it's supposed to be every 15 hours, but I extend that out to 20 hours as I only do trail riding on it. I was contemplating getting a Husky 501 and adding tower, big tank, luggage rack but the thought of dropping the oil every couple of days on a tour away was putting me off a bit.

How long will you push it before doing oil and filter replacement when you're on a trip away?

Really like the concept of turning one of these into a Touring bike but wondered what you do around oil changes?

On my FE350 it's supposed to be every 15 hours, but I extend that out to 20 hours as I only do trail riding on it. I was contemplating getting a Husky 501 and adding tower, big tank, luggage rack but the thought of dropping the oil every couple of days on a tour away was putting me off a bit.

How long will you push it before doing oil and filter replacement when you're on a trip away?

Some are doing 1000-1500 or even 2000 miles on a 500EXC, it seems

I’d have thought it was more important to stop regularly and avoid motorway use where the engine can be labouring in top gear for a long time.

It’s something I’ve been considering but I think it would need to be van based touring where the bike was taken to the area I wanted to start from then pack light and head off for a couple of nights at a time.

Ask me after the trip. :D
Mark

Front brake is routed that was as are all rally bikes to that they dont go accross all the navigation equipment, it completed 9000 kms last year without any issues and oil changes were completed at 1000 mile ish intervals without any issues, I kept the max speed on liason stages down to 60mph and the oil temp stays as low as 30 - 40 degrees and have put a oil and coolant temp guage on there.

Going to do some of the rallies this year in UK as well as the Hellas and dont expect any issues with the bike, oil every 1000 miles, filters every 2000 miles, tappets every 4000 miles and air filters when required.
All maint is so easy on this bike so nothing is an issue really.

On oil changes, the problematic Honda VF750 was starved of oil to the cams, one solution I saw was to fit this modifcation https://youtu.be/JKA6uh-rVA0 but if you fitted this to a secondary tank then you could increase your oil reserve and extend oil change intervals easily.

Currently planning a trip through eastern europe on the 525 with a mate who has the same bike so will see if we can push the oil changes to 1500 or 2000 miles as will be staying off the motorway and taking in some green lanes along the way.

The moto of this one will be travel light and travel quick haha

Managed to get some more jobs done over the Christmas break, despite a nasty bout of man-flu!

DSC_0741-L.jpg

The original rear spring, and the unknown spare that came with the bike, were both showing too much sag. I replaced it after a chat with Kais suspension about my requirements. This one may be a tad too hard, but we'll see.

DSC_0742-L.jpg

Next this needs tidying up.

DSC_0740-L.jpg

I picked this set of wheels up cheap, as they are a colour mismatch. Won't matter when they are dirty!

IMG-20181228-WA0003-L.jpg

Christmas present from my son, who lives in the US.

IMG-20181228-WA0005-L.jpg

Which lets me do this.

DSC_0759-L.jpg

A bit tidier, and a bracket to lift the speedo 50mm.

DSC_0743-L.jpg

Tart's handbag? Excuse the fuzzy shot, didn't realise until I looked at it on the computer.
Off out trail riding with Tim now, may have some better shots later. :D
Mark

Nice job Mark, hope your grips are working today it's going to be chilly....kettles on :)

Looking good, I put the HDB kit onto mine with the 3 inch risers and love it as its the perfect height when your stood up but not cheap as you will well know, love the wheels as there the same as mine, be looking like clones of eatch other soon, I may have to pop up just to compare notes.

What are you thinking of doing on the bike?

Couple of pics from trail riding last week.

DSC_0768-L.jpg

DSC_0774-L.jpg

Couple of other little jobs to attend to now. :blast
At least the suspension seems pretty good, so that's a result!
Mark

The 520 version currently using my spare 640 cush drive wheel.

2019_0219_14073200-01-XL.jpg

Converted Trail Tech X2 now with VERY bright lights :)

2019_0219_14072200-01-XL.jpg

Out on the Trails

Out on the trails at the weekend on my 525

Attachments

• 46399593434_cfe1c32f72_z.jpg
    46399593434_cfe1c32f72_z.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 479

Back
Top Bottom