KTM 525 "Touring"

earthmover

opinionated, me?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my trusty 200 has gone over the sea to continue its sterling service with the happy new owner. This leaves a bike sized hole in the stable, but what to fill it with? :nenau
A trail bike, obviously, but one that could do a longer trip, maybe with some (whisper it) camping thrown in? I fecking hate camping, but some trips can't be done without it.
In that case wouldn't my old 640 Adventure be the ideal choice? Probably, but I wanted to approach it from a different angle, which is why I bought this...….

DSC_0427-L.jpg

DSC_0434-L.jpg

It doesn't seem to be in bad condition, maybe a little neglected. Motor sounds sweet and pulls strongly, brakes stop, bouncy bits go up and down, gears all engage. :D
First job with a new bike, unless I know the history, is drop all fluids, screens and filters to put something I know in. Then start making a list of all the things it needs, and a separate list of things it might want.
Best blow the dust off the credit card....
Mark

Let me know when visiting hours are mate, I'll bring grapes :D

I have just done the same thing with a slightly older 520Exc and I am working my way through it slowly.

Got a large tank and a comfy seat to start.

Getting there and its looking good now. A lot of work and time goes into these but worth it for the old rfs lump in them.

My progress may be slowed somewhat, as my other ongoing project bike (the Triumph Twin) started to make horrible noises during a trial on Saturday. :blast
Am envious of your workshop, my kitchen isn't that clean!
Mark

Coming on nicely Mark, you might want to think about an after market side stand :)

525 EXC

Same thing, 2 years in and its awesome....plenty of fun enjoy it

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_644.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_644.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,784
  • fullsizeoutput_50b.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_50b.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 1,934
A fantastic bike which I have just done 9000km on through europe on the Gibralter Rally and apart from a puncture I didnt have any issues with it at all, although I have spent a fortune on it with all the modifications the latest one being a steering damper.

Have fun with it and it will last forever.

Mark

Attachments

• _ALX4972.jpg
    _ALX4972.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,658
Holds 25 litres and I have to say you really don’t notice it apart from not having to fill it up for ages

My wee 400 version with 13l tank but think I need a bigger one for any real distance the way it drinks fuel :D

Attachments

• 20180919_151918-02.jpg
    20180919_151918-02.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 1,004
Looks brilliant Craig, good job! Had a slight setback with mine on Saturday when I tried to take the exhaust stub out of the head, all three bolts sheared off. :mad:
Looks like I'll be taking the engine out now. At least it gives me an excuse to clean the frame up.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom