Ship bike to USA or hire one there?

Nemo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been given a "Pink Chit" by SWMBO for a trip to the USA and I'm now in the very early planning stages. It will be a solo trip lasting maybe 3 weeks and at the moment I'm favouring a coast to coast. However, one thing I haven't worked out is whether it's better to take my bike or hire one there.

If I hire one there it may be cheaper(?) than shipping but I might end up on a Harley and I'm not familiar with them - I'd prefer a GS. A Hire bike might also mean I'm restricted to a circular route which I can plan easily enough. Companies like Eagle Rider get mixed reviews.

For a 3 week trip is it worth shipping? If you've done either I'd welcome your views.

I hired from Eaglerider LA in 2012. Their Harley's looked to be in great condition, but the R1200RT I hired was a bit battered. They do one-way hires, but you have to pay a return fee. It's worth looking on their special offers page as sometimes you can get a cheap one-way hire if they want a bike returning somewhere :thumb2

The biggest issue for me was the extortionate price. It was £2300 for 17 days and I looked this year and it was closer to £3k :eek: A convertible Mustang is 1/4 of the price and nearly as much fun

A friend of mine looked at this recently and in fact is off to USA next week and has settled on hiring the Mustang convertible, as above!, Not too shabby an alternative I guess!

Speaking to a chap recently who has shipped his bike to the states for a three week trip on more than one occasion and reckons its the only way to do it - from memory he said it costs approx £1700 all up - I have his number if you wish to know more details , he’s a decent chap who seems to know the ropes 👍pm me if interested

Look at
The Lost Adventure on Facebook
Cheap Harley deal end of March April Coast to Coast ride Orlando to LA Tim the organiser a top man
Have completed the trip twice 2017 and 2018 never ridden a Hardly before but was a cinch Half price Eaglerider hire many guys on the trip buddy up or do your own thing then Sort accommodation on the fly ie Booking . Com
Had a ball did it with pillion costs sub 4 k for both each trip inc flights
Next one going ahead end of March 19
Bike hire 2 weeks £1400inc all insurances except your own medical.

A few years ago, following a shitty divorce a former colleague of mine bought a small Yamaha on the East Coast, rode it across and sold it a few weeks later for almost the same as he bought it for on the West Coast.

Another option....

A few years ago, following a shitty divorce a former colleague of mine bought a small Yamaha on the East Coast, rode it across and sold it a few weeks later for almost the same as he bought it for on the West Coast.

Another option....

I think a divorce is a bit extreme. His missus already said it was okay.

Speaking to a chap recently who has shipped his bike to the states for a three week trip on more than one occasion and reckons its the only way to do it - from memory he said it costs approx £1700 all up - I have his number if you wish to know more details , he’s a decent chap who seems to know the ropes ��pm me if interested
You cannot insure a non US bike in the USA at the moment.
This is since GDPR came into effect this year. Bikermate’s experiences before that time are therefore irrelevant :blagblah:blast

You cannot insure a non US bike in the USA at the moment.
This is since GDPR came into effect this year. Bikermate’s experiences before that time are therefore irrelevant :blagblah:blast

You can insure a non US bike in the USA at the moment.

....one of our very own ukGSer bikermate's did this with no hassle just a few weeks ago (post the GDPR rules coming in) :thumb2

Andres

Not wishing to get into a protracted discussion on what (and what isn’t) possible vis-a-vis insurance of UK registered vehicles in America on a temporary basis, I think that Sgt Bilko’s problem revolved around his regular insurer / agent pulling out of the business. The bod Outtomunch mentions did indeed arrange local insurance (seemingly quite easily) but it was third party only, not Fully Comp.

That’s fine, providing someone doesn’t think their awesome is going to be destroyed / nicked whilst across the pond.

The biggest issue for me was the extortionate price. It was £2300 for 17 days and I looked this year and it was closer to £3k :eek: A convertible Mustang is 1/4 of the price and nearly as much fun

Feck the bike... Convertible Mustang is the way to go :cool:

Not wishing to get into a protracted discussion on what (and what isn’t) possible vis-a-vis insurance of UK registered vehicles in America on a temporary basis, I think that Sgt Bilko’s problem revolved around his regular insurer / agent pulling out of the business. The bod Outtomunch mentions did indeed arrange local insurance (seemingly quite easily) but it was third party only, not Fully Comp.

That’s fine, providing someone doesn’t think their awesome is going to be destroyed / nicked whilst across the pond.

What happens if it is nicked while under temporary import?

I have shipped twice to USA. First time with the help of James Cargo in 2014. Very expensive at nearly £3k Manchester to NY then LA to Manchester return. Second time in 2015 was direct with Air Canada. Same price of £500 each way Heathrow to whichever main Canadian airport you wanted. I used Montreal for out and back.

Insurance was with Progressive, not sure if they are affected by the GDPR thing. Easy to arrange mostly by email but they don’t do fully comp/TPF&T you basically choose the financial cover you think you might need for the main risks. A middleish policy cost around £300 for 4months last iirc.

Coast to coast is a long way! We did 6,000 miles on our first trip over 6 weeks but we did zig-zag about a bit. I think Tennessee and Colorado were the best bits but tbh it was all good as it was my first time to USA.

Thanks Smogbob. Sgt Bilco has a top reputation

Hi Sven, been chhecking prices too and some are, as you say scarey

Back
Top Bottom