Calais - Millau Bridge - Calais - Five days - RiDE magazine

I’m sure I stopped at a Point Sublime at the Tarn gorges.

I’m sure I stopped at a Point Sublime at the Tarn gorges.

There is a point sublime overlooking the Tarn Gorges, remember reading about it on Google.

Also according to French tourist information staff in Millau , the best side on view of the Bridge is from the Tower next to their building in Millau old quarter. Pics of bridge and a bit more info on Millau in a trip report from our holiday this year. :beerjug:

We’ve stayed in Millau several times & always eat in the Au Jeu De Paume restaurant, haven’t been lately, but they sevved massive tasty steak cooked exactly how we all asked. Well worth a visit

It's pretty impressive but hardly a 'must see'.

I mean the new Mersey Gateway Bridge is also impressive and you can see more from it - like Runcorn & Widnes :blast

Actually the views of the Mersey and the old bridge are pretty good too...

Crossed the bridge a few years ago. Stayed in a chateau in the town. The following morning watched the bridge appear through the clouds. It looked as though the bridge was being lifted up and the cloud lowered. Life time memory of a stunning item of engineering.

Can you still do the trick where you pay to cross and then stop at the viewing point then ride over the grass section separating the car park for the other direction so you go back for free?

Agreed !
d2056e6f154da7e0c75d19f0a620d5dc.jpg

That's not actually in Ste-Enimie, but I'm not telling anyone exactly where it is as it's perhaps my favourite place in France. I have a very similar photograph in my downstairs water closet.

A

A

DSCF0723-XL.jpg

As for the Millau Bridge - I've done it twice and it was amazing both times. Approaching heading North is a fantastic stretch of twisty motorway. The first time I rode across it was dusk and to crest the rise and see the lights strobing in sequence across the bridge was truly exciting and memorable.

We’ve stayed in Millau several times & always eat in the Au Jeu De Paume restaurant, haven’t been lately, but they sevved massive tasty steak cooked exactly how we all asked. Well worth a visit

I had a fantastic meal at Jeu de Paume as well!

The Gorge du Tarn is great, stop at Saint Enimie if you get a chance,

Even better, rent a canoe for a couple of hours, they drop you up river and you make your way back

If you do this , can you keep an eye out for my wedding ring please? Overturned the kayak (inevitably) and lost it in the rapids, June 1992. Not great on honeymoon...

If you do this , can you keep an eye out for my wedding ring please? Overturned the kayak (inevitably) and lost it in the rapids, June 1992. Not great on honeymoon...

I’d go and have a look but it’s snowing :D

I live 130 km from St Enimie so I blast down for the day now and then, it’s a good ride and the canoeing is really mellow :spl1f: the gorge is lovely

We had a great week in one of the excellent campsites on the outskirts of Millau a few years ago.
The Gorge is a great ride.
I also did a camper over night on the Viaduct once.
There is a nice museum and cafe.
Riding under the Viaduct is also nice.

I to can vouch for the Gorge Du Tarn, especially the D991. Been there twice now. If you have seen the Top Gear trip in the Ford GT, Ferrari and Paggani to the Bridge, the part where James May was in front in the Ferrari on the twisites was in and above the Gorge Du Tarn.

The Tran Gorge (and entire Cevennes area) seems great from my all too brief ride across it, the Bridge was not that great for me, but I have ticked it off the list, would go back time and again for the roads in the area, but probably not bother going to see the Bridge again unless with someone who is insistent on seeing it for themselves, but it does make a good target to aim for - like the Stelvio, in itself not so great, but the trip there and back will be fantastic.

I would want more than 5 days for the trip though, we did day one all Motorway, day two cross country and took in a bit of the Volcans which was a great end to day two and then got to the Bridge on the third morning and then carried on across the Tarn Gorge. Day four we cross the Rhone valley and rode around GOrge du Verdon, then returned vai the Alps...

But I reckon I would want at least 6 days, spending another full day looping around Cevennes (day four) and then two days heading back probably via the Morvan, but you could also head over to the Vercors as well as or instead of Gorge du Verdon.

Taking a full week off work and having 8-9 days would really allow for an awesome trip - considering something along these lines for next year.

Back
Top Bottom