TY175 v TY250

Snowy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I see lots of TY175's but very few 250's (maybe that in itself could be the answer) but are the 250's as good/to be avoided/similar? I'm not a lightweight so wondered if a 250 might suit me more.

Any views/experience on the 250?

Yes, the 250 is a much softer powered bike and pulls higher gears easier, especially if you are not a lightweight :)

If you need a service manual when you get a bike - let me know and I can send you one :thumb2

Never ridden the 250, but I have a 175 myself at 13 stone, and one of the local expert riders is a big lad but his 175 gets him around everywhere. Usually towards the top of the scoresheets!
Mark

I did a bit of trials riding in the early 80s and probably 80% of the bikes were TY175s

The rest were Montessa’s and the occasional Whitehawk which were a TY engine in a Reynolds 531 frame

Not many TY250s but I don’t know why not

I own both, I rode a 250 for last couple of years doing easy trials, always fancied a 175 and bought a whitehawk beginning of the year, only used it a handful of times, it's a lot lighter and more agile than the 250, but I prefer the 250.
Whitehawk for sale.

TY250 Mono is the one to go for, post 1985

Earlier TY250 twinshock is a slug with a particularly heavy engine for the frame

Or maybe this TY250...............a really proper TY250 with a bit of power :bounce1

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 612
If you're in the market for a Ty 250 mono I may have a white frame for sale for around £900

Thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated and helpful.

I'm really after a twinshock as I already have a Sherco 200 to play on.

Any piccies or a link to the Whitehawk for sale?

Yes, the 250 is a much softer powered bike and pulls higher gears easier, especially if you are not a lightweight :)

If you need a service manual when you get a bike - let me know and I can send you one :thumb2
Hello Majesty, I just came across your old post whilst searching for info on the Ty250, as I've just bought one as a first trials bike that needs a bit of TLC, I'm looking for a service manual, do you still one that you could send me?

Hello Majesty, I just came across your old post whilst searching for info on the Ty250, as I've just bought one as a first trials bike that needs a bit of TLC, I'm looking for a service manual, do you still one that you could send me?
Hi Neil,
Sure, no problem.
PM me your direct e mail address and I'll send it via wetransfer, as it's quite a large file. Don't forget to let me know what year/model it is.

Back
Top Bottom