1290GT gets an upgrade

That’s irrelevant. I’m getting the same one again as it is so damn good.

Ding Dong got rid of his GS as he had issues, and swore he’d never have another one. The 1250 is the same bike, which will have the same cheap components, albeit with a slightly more powerful engine.

Yep I did, 2013 bike no 1 tried to kill and Bmw really looked after me extremely well, I'm not sure Ktm would do the same, actually they wouldn't. Bmw replaced the bike with a 2014 new one however after several issues it need another engine @ 2400 miles so I rejected it, they kindly gave me my money back and as a gesture of goodwill a voucher for £2200 to use on any new bike, however they stipulated it could not be used on a GS LC, that to me shows they knew they had issues at the time and did not like the hassle I was causing them, anyways I bought the XR.

At the time I said I would not return to the LC and still had my ultra reliable twin cam GS.

I never suffered any type of corrosion issues on either 13-14 bikes and now several years later I feel like I would like to dip my toes again but are you saying the quality is not on par of 13-14 year bikes ! I thought engine issues was a thing of the past now !

Had a go on a 1290 Sas last week..BOY WHAT BIKE! got back on my GS after a morning on the KTM, it felt as flat as a fart, deffo my next purchase, the upgrade's not enough for me to be tempted by the new GS, It should'nt don the HP decals just because its got gold wheels and a cheap make over with the same shit Sachs suspension, they sell plenty so they dont have to try too hard

But whats wrong with the one you already have ? What is the reason for the swap that is going to cost you more money for nothing extra ?

It’ll be 2 years newer, with a new warranty, and a different colour (most importantly :D).

It will have more, as the 2019 bikes will have more torque, to upset BMW.

Why should I run my current bike into the ground?

Yep I did, 2013 bike no 1 tried to kill and Bmw really looked after me extremely well, I'm not sure Ktm would do the same, actually they wouldn't. Bmw replaced the bike with a 2014 new one however after several issues it need another engine @ 2400 miles so I rejected it, they kindly gave me my money back and as a gesture of goodwill a voucher for £2200 to use on any new bike, however they stipulated it could not be used on a GS LC, that to me shows they knew they had issues at the time and did not like the hassle I was causing them, anyways I bought the XR.

At the time I said I would not return to the LC and still had my ultra reliable twin cam GS.

I never suffered any type of corrosion issues on either 13-14 bikes and now several years later I feel like I would like to dip my toes again but are you saying the quality is not on par of 13-14 year bikes ! I thought engine issues was a thing of the past now !

I don’t know about the engine issues, but look at the paint issues on the engine/ frame/ tank/ final drive, and look at the issues with the spokes. And BMW have subbed out the brakes to a cheaper bidder. BMW have lost their spark as far as I’m concerned; they’re letting the accountants build the bikes now.

The GS is a great bike, but to get one to where I’d want it with all the HP bling, I’d be in for 20k. And it ain’t worth 20k. There’s a proper new model coming in two years time. That’ll be when I’d be potentially interested.

If you got another, knowing you as I do, I guarantee you won’t be happy, and will regret going back.

I found my 1190 vastly superior to the 2018 1200LC, considering the 1190 came out 5 years ago the BMW is well behind, ignoring the bling / tech (electronic suspension, colour TFT Screens, Cruise Control) my 1090 KTM is faster, lighter, more powerful and more fun than the 1200GS.

The SAS is considerably cheaper than a similarly spec'd 1200GS, and apart from better pillion comfort and the convenience of a shaft drive (Assuming it does not blow up / rot away in an instant) I can see no reason why anyone would choose a GS apart from Brand Loyalty or some belief they are a superior human being if they own a BMW.

New for 2022.
Gets the TFT from the 1290 SDR plus the new back-lit switch gear etc

8ef28980c9629f20c112fb9526bb9be8.jpg

Has anyone got one of these? I have wondered about them and their suitability for a long tour.

Has anyone got one of these? I have wondered about them and their suitability for a long tour.

I've just sold mine. I had it for a year, did about 5k miles including a 2k trip from the Jurassic Coast to Orkney. Comfort was very good. Tank range and arse range were about the same. Fuel consumption was around 50 mpg and it was still on the original Pirelli Angel GT tyres although they needed changing. Power is immense and handling very, very good.

Negatives... Panniers are small, although factory top box is large. Luggage capacity is fine for solo, less so for 2 up touring. Screen is noisy. A Puig replacement a la MRA Vario with the spoiler makes a huge difference. (I've got one for sale if anyone wants one, £75 posted). It's chain drive and has no centre stand.

So why did I change. Simple. I prefer the riding position of the GS. I prefer shaft drive for touring. The TFT is better on the GS. I never really used the power of the SDGT. 170 bhp was wasted on me. The lovely Mrs Saint prefers the pillion seat on the GS. I never stopped liking the SDGT, but I never loved it. It's not perfect, but it's bloody good.

My neighbour is on his second SDGT and looking to px for the 2023 model. He tours all over the place on his and loves it, but all his riding is solo.

Try one. You won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom