Malta Hochalmsrasse - A nice route suggestion and more

Wapping

Reaction score
A nice route lifted from MotorradFreizeit magazine (get it on Readly) and then cut into Kurviger (see other posts) using the route code 1802MF01 from where you can download it into a .gpx file and into a GPS device.

320ce34f40211f713359e83c42a478b8.png

b52ecb4be803f43c13d543d1a5f2f491.png

A most enjoyable ride, a few of us stayed at Gasthof Hochalspitze last year, our host Willem is very knowledgeable and helpful regarding biking routes in the area, well worth a visit.
IMG_2030-XL.jpg

IMG_2076-XL.jpg

IMG_2052-XL.jpg

There is a light controlled contra flow system leading up to the Dam which is not immediately apparent if you don't speak the local lingo, DAMHIK this :blast

Always freezing cold up at that Dam, even when the sun is out.

We stayed at the Malteinerhof, Malta for a few days this summer. Very biker friendly. Christian, a big lad, son of the owners & chef, runs an F800GS. Old fashioned but relaxing & E150 for 2 HB in a large/superior room. The Karnten Card from here & most local Hotels, gives toll free access to the Dam & various other attractions in the Region.

Last time I was there, the vertiginous drop on the dam reminded me how much I needed a pee. I sauntered over to the grassed area adjacent the car park, and commenced rummaging for one's equipment through much layers of textiles and M&S's finest.
At that moment a couple of ramblers, armed with walking poles and binoculars, appeared on the ledge above me and commenced their picnic.

Operation 'Watering the flowers' immediately abandoned.

I tried to wait them out, but they sat there interminably, whilst i grew frustrated.

Held on to things manfully, all the way back to the delightful Gasthof Hochalmspitze, even past the gushing waterfall!!

Looking forward to a return visit to to Hochalmstrasse in 2019 :)

Have stayed there a couple of times, great people, very helpful with putting the local runs on your GPS. Useful workshop round the back if you need to fettle.
The only problem I had last time was the solid traffic on the Autobahn to and from Salzburg with the alternative along side route closed.
Filtering was easy till I got to the next traffic light controlled tunnel, and there you sit. No vehicles allowed to wait in the tunnels, and there are a lot of tunnels.
Loved the Dam and the hockhamhighroadup to the top.

Last time I was there, the vertiginous drop on the dam reminded me how much I needed a pee. I sauntered over to the grassed area adjacent the car park, and commenced rummaging for one's equipment through much layers of textiles and M&S's finest.
At that moment a couple of ramblers, armed with walking poles and binoculars, appeared on the ledge above me and commenced their picnic.

Operation 'Watering the flowers' immediately abandoned.

I tried to wait them out, but they sat there interminably, whilst i grew frustrated.

Held on to things manfully, all the way back to the delightful Gasthof Hochalmspitze, even past the gushing waterfall!!

Looking forward to a return visit to to Hochalmstrasse in 2019 :)

6932535c3b43f99da4a47ab626ccdce2.jpg

VLS

Thanks for that route ! I'll be there in July so we'll definitely try this one. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom