1290R on S Rims

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone here done this yet?

Thinking of giving it a go, just doing final check down back of sofa for the cash.

Ive fitted some but they where a trial to see if they fitted, i than asked premier and they confirmed they can reset the clocks for 19/17 and your good to go, theres a forum member whom fitted S-alloys on his R.

Unfortunately even with the S-alloys the bike was still to tail for myself, my intention was to stick 17" rims however i could not fool the abs and warning lights.

Ive fitted some but they where a trial to see if they fitted, i than asked premier and they confirmed they can reset the clocks for 19/17 and your good to go, theres a forum member whom fitted S-alloys on his R.

Unfortunately even with the S-alloys the bike was still to tail for myself, my intention was to stick 17" rims however i could not fool the abs and warning lights.

Got a picture?

Plenty have done it, myself included (firstly on an 1190 R). It's a totally different bike. You don't need a dealer to reset the computer. I can supply various different-holed ABS rings that you can use with your 19/17" wheels on your R. This is a far more elegant option, as you can swap between big and small wheels at your leisure and get an accurate speedo reading!

I have various sets available for 1090/1290 and 1050/1190, S and R variants, for wheels sizes 21/18", 19/17", and as recently requested - 17/17".

They're laser-cut and black zinc coated, and should make your speedo within 1 mph (as long as KTM don't mess with the firmware). ABS, MTC, etc will all function as before. A side-effect is that your odometer will read slightly under (it reads slightly over as standard). It isn't possible to make both the speedo and odo spot on, unless KTM fix the bike's software. But there are minor benefits to a low odo (service intervals, depreciation, etc).

Cost is £90 a pair, plus carriage, which is £5 within UK (£10 to Europe, £15 to US/AUS etc).

Some riders also use these rings with the bike's 'proper' size wheels to correct the speedo error, which was more of a problem with the 1050/1190 (~10% over-read), although I still use some to give an accurate speed on my 1290 SA-R with 21/18" (~5% over-read). If you want a second set for this purpose, I can do these at 50% cost (£45), no extra carriage.

Give me a shout if you have any questions!

Plenty have done it, myself included (firstly on an 1190 R). It's a totally different bike. You don't need a dealer to reset the computer. I can supply various different-holed ABS rings that you can use with your 19/17" wheels on your R. This is a far more elegant option, as you can swap between big and small wheels at your leisure and get an accurate speedo reading!

Give me a shout if you have any questions!

Hi Ian, I'm familiar with the 1190R 17" wheel set up in fact on the 1190 the only issue was speedo error, there were no flashing lights constantly like we encountered with the 1290 however I wanted to do the same with the 1290R and fit some 17" kineo wheels and create a 1290 supermoto but the abs rings were the issue.

Your Abs rings, do you have them to convert the 1290R to use 17" wheels ?

Hi Ian, I'm familiar with the 1190R 17" wheel set up in fact on the 1190 the only issue was speedo error, there were no flashing lights constantly like we encountered with the 1290 however I wanted to do the same with the 1290R and fit some 17" kineo wheels and create a 1290 supermoto but the abs rings were the issue.

Your Abs rings, do you have them to convert the 1290R to use 17" wheels ?

I have some currently being plated, should be back early next week.

I've had conflicting measurements of tyre circumferences with the 17/17" setup, maybe as people are using different profile tyres? So supplied slightly different rings. If you want a set, please measure yours accurately. I'm sure you know how to do this, but anyway: With tyres correctly inflated, make a mark on tyre and the floor, push along until tyre mark is next exactly at the bottom, and measure distance along the floor. Do with both wheels separately, ideally a couple of times. Measure to mm accuracy.

Hi Ian,

We abandoned the project due to the issues, so never purchased any 17" wheels, however now I'm aware you maybe able to overcome this, the project maybe back on, any feedback on suggested tyre sizes you would recommend to enable the use of your abs rings would be appreciated.

Thx again
Dave

Stupid Question Alert :p

Doesn't swapping the front wheel make a HUGE difference to the bike's handling??

I'm obviously being thick (again) but isn't swapping the OE 21" front for a 19" analogous in handling terms with dropping the forks through the yokes by an inch, and from 21 to 17" like dropping them through by 2 inches????

I have often thought I'd like the R's non-electric suspension on a road-biased bike (or some other manufacturer's superior off-road spec suspension on one of their road biased bikes).

Swapping suspension if a bloody expensive game, so getting that mix by buying the off-roader and adding roady wheels seems more viable, but I thought it would screw up the handling...

Plenty of people on ADV Rider have done this, as I'm sure you know. All I've read report handling as improved despite the geometry being *wrong* for the smaller wheel size.

Don't really see the point myself, but hey ho.

Hi Ian,

We abandoned the project due to the issues, so never purchased any 17" wheels, however now I'm aware you maybe able to overcome this, the project maybe back on, any feedback on suggested tyre sizes you would recommend to enable the use of your abs rings would be appreciated.

Thx again
Dave

I wouldn't know which tyres to recommend for this setup, but I am confident we can overcome any issues with ABS/MTC, warning lights, or speedo. Either of the two sets I've made for 17/17" should work fine, it's just the speedo could be perhaps 2 mph adrift if we fit the wrong ones. Having the measured circumferences will allow me to give you the correct ones.

I can vouch for IanC's ABS rings as that is what I have used on mine to allow me to run the S rims all systems work as intended and no warning lights or errors have been thrown up in the past 4000 miles since fitting them.

I have run the 1290R with both sets of wheels over the Alps and Pyrenees and the original R wheels are consigned to the shelf as there is in my opinion a huge improvement in handling, this may be a placebo effect who knows, all I can tell you is that on Alpine passes and tight switchback roads with the original 21 inch front I could feel it wash out numerous times when reaching the edge of the tyre and tread.
With the S rims I now have so much more confidence and feel and the word confidence is the biggest reason I will be keeping the S rims in place for all road riding in the future.

In fitting the S rims using the side stand makes the bike stand fairly upright and in my opinion it would be very easy to have it fall over and without any modification if you did not make sure it was parked in a suitable position and I have cured this by fitting an adjustable foot that can be screwed in or out depending on which wheels are installed.

In fitting the S rims using the side stand makes the bike stand fairly upright and in my opinion it would be very easy to have it fall over and without any modification if you did not make sure it was parked in a suitable position and I have cured this by fitting an adjustable foot that can be screwed in or out depending on which wheels are installed.

Was thinking of using an S Sidestand as it will rarely have the R wheels fitted anyway, I assume this would be OK, but interested in how your solution works - I assume a custom made jobbie?

buying the off-roader and adding roady wheels seems more viable, but I thought it would screw up the handling...

Its not the first off roader to wear different wheels, BMW Hp2e came with 2 sets of wheel packages off rd and 17" supermoto..

I've swopped the wheels on my AT from 21-18 to 19-17 had to change the front Abs ring and being a DCT I've gone from 42t to 40t rear sprocket to enable the DCT to behave like normal.

all I can tell you is that on Alpine passes and tight switchback roads with the original 21 inch front I could feel it wash out numerous times when reaching the edge of the tyre and tread.

I'm not intending to contradict what you are saying, but I've recently come back from doing the RdGA and had no such problems. I don't believe I was hanging about either. Maybe different riding styles?

I'm not intending to contradict what you are saying, but I've recently come back from doing the RdGA and had no such problems. I don't believe I was hanging about either. Maybe different riding styles?

No worries at all about any contradiction and as I stated it may be placebo, I did have an image somewhere but cant currently find it showing the front tyre showing scrubbing where I had actually gone of the edge and shimmied on the side wall.

I have also seen a similar image on the ADV Rider site where someone had encountered the same with running of the edge of the tyre in corners.
Having ridden motocross bikes, DT 125MX, DT125LC, Transalps and the like on the road it had never really bothered me in the past with 21 inch front wheels.

As you say different riding styles and such.
It suits me and I am more than happy with the mod I have done and that's the only thing that matters,

Rasher,

I bought a mod of an inmate on the ADV Rider website his name was MX Engineer it means cutting the bottom of you current stand of and inserting a sleeve stud into your current stand, looks neat and is adjustable in seconds to suit either set of wheels.

Back
Top Bottom