1290R on S Rims

Funny thing is, I never cornered harder on my 1190S than I do on my 1190R. I'll push neither as hard as I did my 1200GSA TC.

Probably a doubt in the back of my mind keeps me more upright. Neither bike feels a good in corners as the BMW did.

Looking like a 1290R with a set of S wheels for me, decided I liked both bikes about the same in the end, but better discounts on the R model means even after buying another set of wheels I save a few quid, so could always swap back to R wheels if ever I want to do a tour with a lot of gravel involved.

The semi active suspension not lighting my fire after a few rides, I prefer the sports mode where the electronics barely intervene - which suggests I may as well buy an R model and have the better quality PDS shock with remote reservoir and infinite adjustability (front and rear) to set it how I like it.

I still find the little 1090 feels nicest to throw around, not idea why, perhaps it steers better with the skinny wheels? The forks are (IMO) bang on for springing and damping, but hoping the 1290R will be every bit as good (or better) once dialled in / bedded in properly, and I am sure the same can be said for the PDS rear shock.

The 1290S felt like a really accomplished sports-tourer, and had the prices been equal I would of bought one - but the 1290R seemed quite a bit better on bumpy roads, not much worse on smooth stuff and once the S wheels are chucked in I doubt there will be much in it even on a good smooth road, of which there seem to be fewer and fewer these days.

Credit to Premier Bikes who have let me have another go on each bike back-to-back before deciding - although I still could not decide and had to just go on price or I would be agonising over the decision until the world runs out of oil.

Hi

Do you still do a set of rings for 1290 R for wheels sizes 19/17"?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom