German Baltic coast

Wapping

Reaction score
Quite a nice tour, courtesy of Motorradundreisen magazine

3cfd2b35851ef6cf7f2506dd16c28b9b.png

2908770f588a0d5fa22438c9f1da5a63.png

Have you ridden in that area?

I have in 2016, followed the coast from Lubeck to Straslund, went onto Ruegen staying at Sellin and visiting Prora then went on to Peenemunde staying in Anklam and then South to Berlin , the roads were all but deserted , not massively challenging but some cracking scenery and very reasonable accomodation and meals .

Intend going back at a later date for a week with the wife to do some walking on Ruegen

I've been round that area a fair amount, when doing the coastal road watch out for sand blown over the road it's worse than diesel...

the koingsbad hotel is nice usedom just off the map... but then again all the best places are just further than you wanted to go....

If you make it to Stralsund, take in Germany’s largest island:

3de90a0e0565aaf23bcac0dabbd0b8df.png

If you do intend visiting Rügen island try the alternative crossing by ferry to Glewitz - like Skye, much nicer than the big new bridge

If you do intend visiting Rügen island try the alternative crossing by ferry to Glewitz - like Skye, much nicer than the big new bridge

That’s what we did when we went. We crossed over via the bridge on the way out, then back by ferry.

13521dbb84005dd6589f9c18bb586031.png

The suggested routes around the island are similar but different. We took most of one day riding around, having lunch, coffee stops (the usual stuff) and visiting the far tip where the lighthouse is.

And what might numbers 1 - 6 mean please Mr. Wapping ?

I copied the map from the Louis.de site. https://m.louis.de/fuer-die-motorradreise/tourentipps/deutschland/norden/ruegen

I don’t speak German but it’s easy enough to highlight / copy the blurb to run through Google translate. They seem to be suggested ‘must do’ sites.

Example:

3) Sassnitz – Die Hafenstadt Sassnitz ist mit 12.000 Einwohnern die zweitgrößte Stadt auf Rügen und eine der wichtigsten Sehenswürdigkeiten. Am Südrand des Nationalparks Jasmund gelegen ist die Hafenstadt ein staatlich anerkannter Erholungsort. Das gesunde Klima und das wunderschöne Ambiente sowie die freundlichen Gastgeber machen einen Besuch zu einem Muss.

Gives:

3) Sassnitz - The port city of Sassnitz is with 12,000 inhabitants, the second largest city on Rügen and one of the main attractions. Situated on the southern edge of the Jasmund National Park, the port city is a state-approved resort. The healthy climate and beautiful ambience as well as the friendly hosts make a visit a must.

We used Michelin’s Green Guide and The Rough Guide To.....

This part of Germany comes under the Mecklenburg-Vorpormmern region, from the former East Germany. It’s pretty popular with German motorcycling tourists looking to do something different. Certainly the western part of the region is not that far from Calais and easily accessible if you just bite the bullet and take the motorway.

Here’s another sample route map I have saved:

2bbb798dd3ddde1abf213770a12f351a.png

Just entering something as simple as ‘Mecklenburg motorrad’ into Google turns up possible sites. Here’s one, by way of example:

http://motorrad-mecklenburg.de

OK it’s all in foreign but click about in it and others like it. You can’t break it.

Here's another:

https://www.motorradundreisen.de/engine/download/file/387/

Less than two euro for the download. Give it a go.

I copied the map from the Louis.de site. https://m.louis.de/fuer-die-motorradreise/tourentipps/deutschland/norden/ruegen

I don’t speak German but it’s easy enough to highlight / copy the blurb to run through Google translate. They seem to be suggested ‘must do’ sites.

Example:

3) Sassnitz – Die Hafenstadt Sassnitz ist mit 12.000 Einwohnern die zweitgrößte Stadt auf Rügen und eine der wichtigsten Sehenswürdigkeiten. Am Südrand des Nationalparks Jasmund gelegen ist die Hafenstadt ein staatlich anerkannter Erholungsort. Das gesunde Klima und das wunderschöne Ambiente sowie die freundlichen Gastgeber machen einen Besuch zu einem Muss.

Gives:

3) Sassnitz - The port city of Sassnitz is with 12,000 inhabitants, the second largest city on Rügen and one of the main attractions. Situated on the southern edge of the Jasmund National Park, the port city is a state-approved resort. The healthy climate and beautiful ambience as well as the friendly hosts make a visit a must.............

All understood now, thanks for the explanation.

I did wonder if they were recommended flower pressing sites but obviously not.

A nice route around the top west corner of Germany....

..... up to the border with Denmark, courtesy of the latest Tourenfahrer-Motorrad magazine, which is available on Readly.

171a6c5b7f8f4635f9db14b9e29a0d78.jpg

Download the tour (and others) as a GPS file by tapping the www. address in the top left hand corner of the picture into Google.

nice but they're missing Haitabu, which is well worth a visit the schleswig museum of viking stuff.... and a tour round Flensburg brewery and the Ditmarscher brewery.... with a short stop in Hamburg for lunch with the german version of jamie oliver...

The tour, if I understood the foreign correctly, is designed to be a jaunt that brought in witty or out of place place names, like: World, Greenland, Berlin, Siberia, Little America, Brazilian (fnar, fnar)

Back
Top Bottom