F750/850GS Specific aftermarket windscreens

^^ Some pictures of the Madstad mount/bracket with both the Matstad screen and the stock 850 screen:

66315_F850GS_xl.jpg

I am waiting to see how much the OEM parts are for the GSA 850 adjustable screen. Apparently they fit.

I am waiting to see how much the OEM parts are for the GSA 850 adjustable screen. Apparently they fit.

It’s another solution for sure. When you get the prices, please post them here.

I have just completed a 70 mile ride in dry weather but with very mucky roads. The BMW "tall" screen seems quite good at removing wind blast but I am not sure it has completely solved the dirty visor problem - I really need a wet day I guess to see exactly where the weather is going on my helmet. May still need to investigate the larger WRS or GSA screens in due course. I have also fitted a Scottoiler I had from a previous bike - a bit of a faff to find somewhere for it but I think it is OK and it is working well.

I have now used the WRS screen in strong wind, rain and heavy cross winds. In some circumstances I still get road crud on my visor but it is significantly better than the stock screen. Overall, I think it's pretty good, but not perfect. For me (at 6' 0"), I think I would like something with adjustable height.

I noticed that MRA are now showing their 850 options - although they are not available for sale until March.

https://www.mrashop.de/com/model-based-products/bmw/f-850-gs/

Hello Richard,
I took delivery of my F750GS blast July in Austria.
so far have done 5000 Km on it.
Iam amazed how good the Standard screen works at all Speeds - 160kmh on the Autobahn is no Problem.
I have done several longer trips, 6 Hours in the saddle without any real aches and pains - bye the way I am 79 years old.
If I wanted to put on any extras IO would be thinking of the like a a scott oiler.
Maybe but just maybe, the screen from the F805GS.
Other than that the TFT Display is great, the Cruise Control is just what the doctor ordered.
I can't compülain about vibrations - Nothing more or less than on other bikes - although there are some heavy weight exception like Harely and Co.
The fuel consumptiojn is excellent. In my time I have had several different models of the R1200GS, 3 years ago I bought the F800GT prtimarily because of the weight and the Belt drive. My 750 is my first Chasin Drive bike. No I lie, way back in 1956 my first ever bike was a Triumph Tiger 110.
But when I got back into bikes again I strarted of with a BMW R1200RT and have stuck with BMW since then.
Take care and stay upright.
Bevan

Hello Richard,
I took delivery of my F750GS blast July in Austria.
so far have done 5000 Km on it.
Iam amazed how good the Standard screen works at all Speeds - 160kmh on the Autobahn is no Problem.
I have done several longer trips, 6 Hours in the saddle without any real aches and pains - bye the way I am 79 years old.
If I wanted to put on any extras IO would be thinking of the like a a scott oiler.
Maybe but just maybe, the screen from the F805GS.
Other than that the TFT Display is great, the Cruise Control is just what the doctor ordered.
I can't compülain about vibrations - Nothing more or less than on other bikes - although there are some heavy weight exception like Harely and Co.
The fuel consumptiojn is excellent. In my time I have had several different models of the R1200GS, 3 years ago I bought the F800GT prtimarily because of the weight and the Belt drive. My 750 is my first Chasin Drive bike. No I lie, way back in 1956 my first ever bike was a Triumph Tiger 110.
But when I got back into bikes again I strarted of with a BMW R1200RT and have stuck with BMW since then.
Take care and stay upright.
Bevan

^^ Good to know you are still going strong at 79! As for the screen, I guess we all have different opinions because we are all different shapes and sizes, and we all have different expectations.

Sounds like you are happy with the bike - just as I am with mine. I've done about 1250 miles (2000 km) since the beginning of November, although I am currently frustrated by the weather.

So...

Still in pursuit of a less-turbulent ride, I decided to try yet another screen. Some of you probably think I'm mad, and it would be hard to argue... but I'm new to this and the only way to find the best solution is to keep experimenting.

I bought an MRA Vario Touring screen (the 850 model), just to see if it improves on the WRS. I am still experimenting with the position of the spoiler, and in some scenarios it is definitely better. However, having done a 230 mile motorway trip at the weekend, I have not completely overcome the high speed buffeting - and perhaps I never will.

Anyway, a couple of pics for those that are interested:

!!! Richard I just got my WRS screen delivered hoping that it’s the answer to all the wind noise and buffeting to my head. Perhaps these companies should have left the R&D to you! I’ll try to post some pictures up when it’s installed but it looks very similar in size to the 850 original screen (tbd) although it has a significant lip at the top forcing air higher. This might work at my height.?

Givi AF5127 as I have mentioned many times and you can ride at 80mph with your visor up. The Madstad set up will be excellent also.

Hi Stonehenge, from my perspective I’m trying to add a marginally larger screen without the need of the full size touring screen. An improvement to what I currently have without progressing to the full airflow or madstad screen. Like Richard, I suspect we will probably be on an expensive journey to find the right solution rather than accept the inevitable.

Hi Stonehenge, from my perspective I’m trying to add a marginally larger screen without the need of the full size touring screen. An improvement to what I currently have without progressing to the full airflow or madstad screen. Like Richard, I suspect we will probably be on an expensive journey to find the right solution rather than accept the inevitable.

You either want turbulence free or not basically. Of the two basic types of screen; air disturbance (MRA type with spoiler) or air directed (Givi / Wunderlich / PUIG etc). I have used the MRA type screen with good effect previously but mostly like the screens that direct air away from the rider. A PUIG Touring screen on my R1200GSA worked very well. The Givi Touring screen with Madstad bracket on a Suzuki V Strom worked well and the best for the R1200GS Air Cooled and F750/850 is the AF screens from Givi. They are also fairly well priced for what you get (I paid around £115 for mine). However, the F750GS standard set up is very good with minimal turbulence but you get the full force of the wind; which in summer will be excellent. So for me AF5127 for Winter / Touring mode on a F850GS mount. And Standard 750 screen for the summer to maximize cooling air on hot days.

Also, you have to put 1" spacers under the mount to move it away from the cockpit to allow air underneath the screen. This helps smooth airflow and without this even the AF5127 has a little buffeting.

Yeah, I am looking for an acceptable compromise between buffeting and appearance - and I'm afraid to say I'm not crazy about the look of the large Givi or Madstad screens. I'd probably choose a standard looking screen (e.g WRS) with a height adjusting bracket (e.g. Madstad or BMW Adventure), but I'm not willing to pay the crazy price of the Madstad mount and I haven't seen the BMW Adventure for sale yet.

Alright I give in. Before I end up stripping the front end of the bike completely can someone put me out of my misery. Once the screen is off how far and what do you have to dismantle..... and how the feck do you get the black plastic grommets off. Generally I should stick to tasks no more complex than fuelling.

Alright I give in. Before I end up stripping the front end of the bike completely can someone put me out of my misery. Once the screen is off how far and what do you have to dismantle..... and how the feck do you get the black plastic grommets off. Generally I should stick to tasks no more complex than fuelling.

Large flat blade screwdriver and lever off. You won't damage the cover.

Back
Top Bottom