BKS Leathers - Custom 2 piece suit

The trousers were a terrible fit and were sent back. They altered them but they have never been right

Please excuse the thread resurrection, but I had the same experience with another bespoke manufacturer (not BKS). While I don’t want to criticise the company by name online, I’d appreciate any suggestions what to do about it.

I have a friend who bought a set about 12 years ago and they are still going strong but the quality of the leather used then and now is in a different league.
How do you think the leather’s changed? E.g., is today’s leather lighter?

How do you think the leather’s changed? E.g., is today’s leather lighter?

My old leathers were, I believe, chrome leather, a smooth finish with some marks visible from the natural hide. My newer leathers are, what looks like a printed, textured finish, which gives a uniform surface, hides any natural imperfections, which to me suggests they can get away with less than perfect hides.
I've had a pretty slow off in the newer ones and holed a layer on the shoulder, I don't think this would have gone through the old ones as I had much bigger tests off them. The modern armour saved me from a probable broken collar bone though.

I've had a couple of suits from BKS and they were brilliant. About 3 years ago I visited to have a new pair of trousers, again can't fault the fit or the service I've had from Brian.

When I got back to biking (in 1990) I was regularly big bike commuting on dual carriageways 50-60 miles a day as well as holidays and other journeys. I started saving and in 1993 I journeyed down to Exmouth for a fitting by Brian. This was just before the CE approval law for PPE became effective. As it was they were still built to the relevant standard.
I was fitted for a zip together suit, jacket and trousers. I bought it with a summer (Aertex Mesh) and winter (quilted) jacket lining. The trousers were Aertex Mesh lined. Linings were removable for washing. The suit was just over £1,000.
Until I retired in 2005 I must have done around a quarter of a million miles in it. My biking seriously reduced on retirement. I am about the same size as Brian and one year at the NEC (possibly in 2005) I bought a prototype textile jacket that they were selling off. I used that for 10 years before I bought a Dane Goretex laminate jacket (excellent quality as well). That is now my goto jacket.
The only failure has been one calf zip (at 20 years) on the trousers that I got fixed by Hideout (who are not far from me).
At nearly 30 years later I am still using the trousers (my weight gain over that period has only slightly affected the waist fit).
If I was 30 years younger (if only!) would I buy from BKS again? You bet!

tom

Interview with Brian from BKS, explaining some of the changes in safety levels.

Please excuse the thread resurrection, but I had the same experience with another bespoke manufacturer (not BKS). While I don’t want to criticise the company by name online, I’d appreciate any suggestions what to do about it.

Without knowing who you are talking about is difficult to say. Loads on the web claim to be bespoke but are not. There are only 4/5 left. Fixing an issue shouldn't be a problem if they really know what they are doing. Talk to them. You can add or remove material. If they refuse and you can't use the garment take them to small claim. Considering a suit is about the thick end of £2000, I would be pissed off if the suit didn't fit 100%.
Unless...you put on/lost weight since the last fit. Which is your own bloody fault:D

Back
Top Bottom