Cottage near Kelso - advise

Keilder obviously for the road, The Farne Islands if you want to get off the bike for a while, Hermitage Castle, Cragside (National Trust), Holy Island and for pure scenic riding anything inland of the A1 is worth a punt.
Someone mentioned Beamish. Well worth a visit but give yourselves a full day to explore it.

Cragside can be added to our Holy Island, Bamburgh route for a quick visit (NT members)

Beamish, is in the bank encase the weather is bad otherwise I don’t want to use that much riding time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kelso ... have a run across to Moffatt and around St Marys Loch, or go across towards Duns then around by Lonformacus and Whiteadder reservoir towards the coast.

You have numerous castles in easy reach from Norham to Lindisfarne , Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, Alnwick, Warkworth etc.

Your not far from the Scottish museum of Flight at East Fortune and if you go on certain days you can get access to the restoration hangar.

There are numerous excellent roads around the area down towards Kielder, Bellingham, Otterburn etc but FFS don't tell any shed draggers or wobble box drivers

Thanks to everybody who has contributed all our routes are done and we hope to have a friend come over a couple of days who will take us out

Really looking forward to exploring the area and hope the weather plays ball

With the amount to do I think we will need another visit

Just back from our week in Kelso, had a great holiday. Accommodation was very nice, would use again and the roads are brilliant.
01dd177085a2a83502e189fd95b4cb67.jpg
e392482c9b98e57b44c05e519d43a2b8.jpg
337120eb2ac097916968fe4d8350167d.jpg
0720e0356a544940c02b02834b5f366c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The road from Hawick to Newcastleton (or vice versa) is nice. Can’t remember the number. I think it’s a B road but most of it is decently tarmacced because it’s a road for logging trucks apparently. Quite scenic in parts and very twisty in parts.

The road from Newcastleton over the top to Langholm is also interesting. It’s concrete I think and single track in many places (with passing places). It’s not a classic biking road by any means, it’s just interesting because it’s unusual.

We did both routes, one by choice and one by a gps era

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i agree too, been the highlands alot and having discovered the roads in the low lands a few years back, i tend to ride there now, Kelso, Moffat,Peebles all good places to base at and ride from . roads are as good as higher up but less tourists are on them

I'm totally confused Dave....are you a monkey and does your missus have a beard? :eek:

Do you have a link to the cottage you rented? Four of us going back next year nd rather than B and B we re looking into renting a place

Back
Top Bottom