EPA information.

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
For those shipping there bikes out to the US this year, you will be, or should be, aware you need an EPA certificate.

If you aren't sure about it and what it is, let me know and I'll give you all the relevant details.

Normally it's a very quick process and they can get this to you in a couple of weeks but due to the US shutdown Government shutdown, they will have a huge backlog. If you are going over this year, it's worth allowing about 3 months for the application.

Here is a snippet from an email I've received:

As you have seen in the news, the United States Government is currently on a so-called “Shutdown”. Here you’ll find important information about what this means for you:

Imports into the USA

Due to the Shutdown, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has only a small number of employees working on pre-approving imports into the U.S. It currently takes the EPA much longer to process these approvals, and U.S. Customs may reject your import at arrival if the approval letter is not ready.

Staff of the EPA’s Light Duty Vehicle Center are currently on forced leave. Exemption letters for racing vehicles will not be available until they are back in the office.

There may be delays on examinations upon import due to the number of government workers on forced leave.

Avoid the hassle. Fly to and ride in Canada. If you still want to tour the U.S.A., use a land crossing where it’s highly unlikely they’ll ask you for a certificate (as long as you don’t plan on leaving your bike there).

Avoid the hassle. Fly to and ride in Canada. If you still want to tour the U.S.A., use a land crossing where it’s highly unlikely they’ll ask you for a certificate (as long as you don’t plan on leaving your bike there).

They are getting a bit hotter on the checks for European registered vehicles so it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Hi Chris
Can you recommend a bike hire company around the California area to rent a 1200gs? We’ve got a couple of friends that want to go over in June and tour around for a few weeks.

Thanks
D

Hi Chris
Can you recommend a bike hire company around the California area to rent a 1200gs? We’ve got a couple of friends that want to go over in June and tour around for a few weeks.

Thanks
D

There was a good RR on here from a tosser that has done that a few times.

IIRC Canada were intending to operate a scheme mirroring the US EPA, so take care, it could ruin a trip.

Hi Chris

Thanks
D

Hi Mate

Dubbelju in San Francisco rent a big range of bikes and they are generally the go to rental company out there https://www.dubbelju.com.

I'll have an ask around to see if there is anyone else there but I don't know of anyone renting GS's unless you direct to BMW.

For those shipping there bikes out to the US this year, you will be, or should be, aware you need an EPA certificate.

If you aren't sure about it and what it is, let me know and I'll give you all the relevant details.

Normally it's a very quick process and they can get this to you in a couple of weeks but due to the US shutdown Government shutdown, they will have a huge backlog. If you are going over this year, it's worth allowing about 3 months for the application.

Here is a snippet from an email I've received:

As you have seen in the news, the United States Government is currently on a so-called “Shutdown”. Here you’ll find important information about what this means for you:

Imports into the USA

Due to the Shutdown, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has only a small number of employees working on pre-approving imports into the U.S. It currently takes the EPA much longer to process these approvals, and U.S. Customs may reject your import at arrival if the approval letter is not ready.

Staff of the EPA’s Light Duty Vehicle Center are currently on forced leave. Exemption letters for racing vehicles will not be available until they are back in the office.

There may be delays on examinations upon import due to the number of government workers on forced leave.

Good call, you’re ahead of me ..... again.
We are planning to ship from New Zealand to Texas at the end of April (UK registered bikes) and hadn’t though about starting the EPA process yet. I’ll get on to it now.
Thank you.

That’s all great until the man says no. Not worth risking the time, money and dreams that go in to a big trip. For me anyway.

I’ve just looked on the EPA website and it appears that they are open again from the 29th of Jan.
Regardless of that I have sent our two requests in for our exemption letters. Early bird and all that...thanks again for the heads up.

I’ve just looked on the EPA website and it appears that they are open again from the 29th of Jan.
Regardless of that I have sent our two requests in for our exemption letters. Early bird and all that...thanks again for the heads up.

Wise move as they will have a big back log.

Hi Mate

Dubbelju in San Francisco rent a big range of bikes and they are generally the go to rental company out there https://www.dubbelju.com.

I'll have an ask around to see if there is anyone else there but I don't know of anyone renting GS's unless you direct to BMW.

Thanks, I’ll pass it on :thumby:

IIRC Canada were intending to operate a scheme mirroring the US EPA, so take care, it could ruin a trip.
I thought they had followed the Americans with the E.S.T.A ( electronic system travel authorisation)
Didn't realise they were requiring EPA environment protection Agency waiver .

I thought they had followed the Americans with the E.S.T.A ( electronic system travel authorisation)
Didn't realise they were requiring EPA environment protection Agency waiver .

Given the size of the place & length of border, I guess it was inevitable - I think it must have been our relatives in BC that mentioned the prospect a while back.

Anyway, I have done a bit more research now. So, to temporarily import a vehicle to Canada you need a Section V11, as explained here........... http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/temporarily.html

Essentially it's to check that your vehicle is roadworthy, has clean emissions & meets CEPA rules. Hopefully this will help anyone entering Canada with their bike - are Air Canada still doing deals?

After a false start with our EPA applications we re submitted them yesterday. This morning we have had confirmation that our applications have been received and will take 14-21 business days to process.

EPA exemption acceptance letters received on the 1st of March. Well within their 14-21 working day estimate.
Fingers crossed that they let us and our bikes in at the end of April.

Good to know. US customs are fairly straight forward. Just make sure you have your EPA certificate and V5 with you and you should be good to go.

I have some new input on the EPA.

I came up from the south and crossed into the states at Presidio, Texas on my Brit bike. No-one asked for an EPA exemption, just my V5, passport etc. Later I left the States into Canada and later still went back into the US again and again wasn’t asked for the EPA exemption. Then the trouble started. I asked my shipper for flights back to the UK for my bike and she asked if I had the exemption. She said you MUST get an exemption before you try to leave and you must pretend that you haven’t entered yet.
She told me to apply online, which I did but after waiting 2 weeks I was told it would take another 18-21 days due to a clerical error.
I binned it and flew out of Toronto after giving my bike to a freight shipper. It costs a little more but I was ready to go and marking time in the US for three weeks would have cost more.

I have some new input on the EPA.

I came up from the south and crossed into the states at Presidio, Texas on my Brit bike. No-one asked for an EPA exemption, just my V5, passport etc. Later I left the States into Canada and later still went back into the US again and again wasn’t asked for the EPA exemption. Then the trouble started. I asked my shipper for flights back to the UK for my bike and she asked if I had the exemption. She said you MUST get an exemption before you try to leave and you must pretend that you haven’t entered yet.
She told me to apply online, which I did but after waiting 2 weeks I was told it would take another 18-21 days due to a clerical error.
I binned it and flew out of Toronto after giving my bike to a freight shipper. It costs a little more but I was ready to go and marking time in the US for three weeks would have cost more.

You never get asked for it by anyone but US Customs on the way in and on the way out. They never ask at borders as I don't suppose any border officers actually know anything about it and in 15 years of border crossings I've never been asked.

If you considering shipping in or out of the US or even visiting from Canada, just apply online and get it as it may save you lots of hassle.

Back
Top Bottom