2008 F800GS EWS Immobiliser Fault(s) - Problem Solving Help

I'm pretty sure that there was somone one here with the same symptoms,

he fitted a SH ECU & keys etc from the bay coat about £300 i think and then an hour at the dealers to marry everything together

cheaper than the prices you quoted

I would love to be wrong on this, but was categorically told that UK dealers would not entertain that option. (maybe the "UK" bit is relevant here ;) )

Thanks Abraxas, really helpful.

Sadly I can rule out the battery - have swapped with another new from from a different bike / monitored voltage and all good.

I guess the weird bit is why it was intermittent and not a permanent failure. Typically electronics fail and stay failed, whereas dodgy wiring can be intermittent but it all looks fine...

Equally worrying is the possibility of the boosterplug being the cause. If I send it back citing the bike symptoms I would expect the maker to deny any fault (or accept liability and a bill for a new ECU!).

What is the likelihood of a short circuit on the temp probe line causing destruction of an ECU? I'd expect them.to be protected against this given it is an expected failure mode.

If it wasn't the boosterplug, what else has caused the ECU to fail? Is that fault still present and going to destroy a new one too?

First World problems eh? Need to keep this in perspective.

No bother Dave. If you want, ping me a phone number via IM and I'm happy to give you a call if you want to chat. Another member here extended me the same courtesy so I am paying it further forward [or back? not sure... :) ].

Thanks, I may yet need that!

I've unwrapped some if the loom insulation now as it was looking a little aged.

Nothing appears out of order - no chaffing or damage to any wires.

However, I cannot communicate with any module at all with the GS911 - everything times out regardless of what I try and communicate with.

Makes no difference whether the engine ECU is connected or not.

Handlebar controls still work, so clearly the body control unit is still operating.

I'm wondering what can have caused this change, and whether it is due to my meddling...

Next step is to call some of the auto ECU repair places and establishing what they can do.

Did you get it sorted? Shame you don't have PM, I may have been able to help with diags as had to travel south unexpectedly...

I'm pretty sure that there was somone one here with the same symptoms,
he fitted a SH ECU & keys etc from the bay coat about £300 i think and then an hour at the dealers to marry everything together
cheaper than the prices you quoted

Maybe you read my post, but the reality is quite different of what I initially thought.
A used ECU from another bike cannot be married together to an existing bike because of the different VIN number.
The only thing that a friendly dealership would do to help would be to insert a code (with a fee) to stop the tachometer from blinking, after the ecu swap.
The only bmw-approved option from the dealership is to buy a new ECU with 1000€ plus fitting.
I did my job with the half amount of that price but now my bike cannot be legally sold (or even repaired at a BMW service) because of the difference in VIN on the frame and VIN on the ECU.
Of course I always have my original damaged ECU in my garage in case someone claims I have a "scavenged bike" but I still cant sell it (if I want).

My best option to "legallize" the bike again is to send both ecus in holland where they clone one to the other and send it back, or try to have it done here.
After that most surely I ll have to take it again at BMW for them to insert a code so that the tachometer doesnt blink.

In conclusion. Many f800gs's fail because of the ecu. Bmw claims this is rare, and takes no responsibility after the 2 year warranty. On a used f800gs asks for a fixed 1000e price + fitting.
Other options than to accept Bmws offer are adventurous and might lead to a very close amount to repair the ecu , which makes me wonder if it is worth it.
Usually I would assume, the dealer makes an offer to trade in the bike, in the general mentality that one should always have a "new" bike, and that they're all expendable machines.
To me, it doesnt make sense, also because I m quite satisfied by my current bike (excluding the unacceptable ecu failure) and also I do not consider the new version of the f800gs better.
Most probably I consider it even more prone to sudden failure due to its much higher complexity, and also of inferior quality because of its different material & parts outsourcing.

All those things have in my opinion legal extentions regarding our rights as consumers and our rights to repair something that we aquired with our own funds and we still want it to function.
I saw somewhere (I think in a bmw video for the 40 years GS) that the brand is proud to say that most of these bikes still run in the streets.
That contradicts of course with the obstacles that the same brand places in front of the people that trusted the brand as clients, when they face a very expensive repair suddently, without mistreating their product, by only allowing them to be repaired by them and them only.
Similar stories happen with other brands and product types such as, the John Deer brand (and the right of the farmers to repair them) or the new Iphones (apple locks some features if one tries to interchange parts).
Its a legal matter, and I think that in the future, the legislation might help the consumers defend their rights, and be able to keep and enjoy their machines without the obstacles of their respected manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom