USA Insurance Cost - Is this normal?

It still seems like a crazy big amount but I if you are there for 6 mths then I suppose you could break it down and say that it’s less than 20 dollars a day which doesn’t sound quite so bad . However, if you are there for only 90 days but are having to buy 6 mths cover then it really IS a crazy amount . Good luck getting sorted and I hope you get to go on your trip :thumb2

We plan to be in the US and Canada for 5 or 6 months. Insurance can be purchased for shorter periods for those looking at spending less time over there.

Our trip will continue one way or another, we’ve been away since June last year. If it is North America then we WILL be buying insurance....but not $8600 per bike insurance. I probably need to find a review or two of Segurogringo.

Segurogringo - we insure your biake for moneeee.

The name just makes me chuckle :D

I wonder if their price include rebar and underlay?

I think $200k is too low, you need something like 1 million.

The quote from XInsurance for $8600 per bike for Six months NOT including Canada offers liability of $750K for bodily damage and $750K for property. We at travelling on two bikes....it’s a trip stopper...but I understand the advice. I’ll make a call tomorrow as I suggested that they may have got the decimal point in the wrong place in the email that I sent.

It would be great id one of our American brother Tosser popped into AAA and a few brokers to see if there is any insurance options available locally.

It would be great id one of our American brother Tosser popped into AAA and a few brokers to see if there is any insurance options available locally.

I tried this up in Anchorage last year and although it might be possible, you would probably need separate cover for each state which would be a nightmare.

One solution would be if you have friends or family over there. They can insure your bike and then have you as a named rider. They insure on VIN numbers so it not a problem to do and it all above board.

I have spoken with Motorcycle Express this evening regarding the insurance they off and he says he knows it's not perfect but it's taken 8 months to get it to this point. The Canadian option will be arriving shortly.

You can adjust your level of cover on the form so it's worth playing about with that to see what comes up. I generally keep my personal cover low as I have ample on my trave insurance.

My advice for OnHellas would be to email Mike Mandell at Motorcycle Express and explain your situation.

Talking to Motofreight earlier and they have shipped a few out with folk using this insurance and no one has mentioned how much is was. I'd have a good look at what boxes you are ticking to make sure you haven't got cover you don't really need.

I'm talking to a few more people so bear with......:thumb2

I’ve had an email back from Mike in which he says that the cover for Canada is still work in progress and that he’ll have a chat with the underwriters regarding the high cost of cover.
I do understand that is foreign bike travelers are only a few in comparison to the market as a whole. I’ll keep you updated as to our progress.
We have pretty much decided that the Segurogringo route would be acceptable to us so the North American leg of our journey is still on.

One thing I should mention is that on the XInsurance quote page the minimum value you can enter for a bike is $12,000 which is a lot more than either of our bikes are worth. I’ve mentioned that to Mike at Motorcycle Express so that might get updated and help a bit.

Reply back from Mike. The value of the bike is a minimal part of the quote. Only about $2 per $1000 of cover.
Another answer, another bit of the jigsaw falls in to place.

I’ve just had a chat with a very helpful chap called Logan at XInsurance. They are the underwriters you get to through the Motorcycle Express link.

My quote of $2700 ish IS correct, is for the USA only and he said that although they are looking in to offering Canadian cover, it won’t be happening any time soon.
He also said that he knows that Motorcycle Express are still working on it and talking to other providers.

At least it is a conclusive statement re the Canadian cover. For this reason it won’t be for us.

Segurogringo looks to be the favourite, I’ll wait another week or two before I buy invade something else turns up.

We’ve taken the plunge. With no joy from XInsurance re the Canadian cover we’ve gone for Sugurogringo.
180 days cover for $475 or £365 for the US and Canada. This is Third Party Only cover.
Hopefully we’ll not need to claim....never in the plan I know.

I was slightly alarmed on receiving the emailed documents as the policy has in a defined box words to the effect of “tourist cover for residents of Mexico.”
There is an endorsement attached which overides the above. I also sent an email to Segurogringo for clarification with a positive answer that we are indeed covered.

USA here we come.....

We’ve taken the plunge. With no joy from XInsurance re the Canadian cover we’ve gone for Sugurogringo.
180 days cover for $475 or £365 for the US and Canada. This is Third Party Only cover.
Hopefully we’ll not need to claim....never in the plan I know.

I was slightly alarmed on receiving the emailed documents as the policy has in a defined box words to the effect of “tourist cover for residents of Mexico.”
There is an endorsement attached which overides the above. I also sent an email to Segurogringo for clarification with a positive answer that we are indeed covered.

USA here we come.....

Good move and it's all legit.

Good move and it's all legit.

I hope so, it was very quick and easy to purchase the policy on their website.
It seems like the best/only option at present if you want cover for Canada as well.

I’ve said it before, but thanks for your ongoing efforts and advise with this.
Hopefully for your sake business wise something more comprehensive gets sorted soon. I’m sure you’ll let us know when it does.

Back
Top Bottom