Bridgestone Battlax A41 update...400 miles in

I have a pair of CTA3s on my 1200GSA that have done 2000miles. I have a new 1250GSA on order and apparently it will come with A41s or Panicky 3s. I’ve asked the dealer to change the new tyres for my worn ones. Nuff said!

Yes I did a similar thing many year's ago when I bought my brand new suzuki gt 250 , didn't want the original jap tyre's so had Avon roadrunners fitted before I collected the bike.
Happy days
Ian.

Puncture yesterday.

Unpluggable, is that a word.

None of my much loved K60 in so I had an E07 Dakar fitted for 130.

Will see, but 200 miles in and………

I can’t tell the difference , unless I’m looking at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I would give the A41s a go on my 1250 GSA. I got about 5,000 miles from the OEM Anakees...although the rear was VERY squared off by that time. Grip and confidence had generally been good however, both front & rear.
Having done about 400 miles on the A41s, the rear is very confidence inspiring. I have CTA3s on a KTM1190, and there is little difference between the two in terms of grip and confidence at the rear.
However, the front A41 is making me feel nervous. On turn in at moderate speeds (60 mph) it feels as though the tyre momentarily slides, and then regains grip. This is the same one up, or with a pillion.
I am currently running 2.5 bar front and 2.9 rear, but have already experimented +/- 0.2 bar on the front with no difference to this sensation.
Anyone else out there experienced this with the A41 on a GSA, or better still have any suggestions (other than the typical 'your fault buying that crap tyre etc.etc.'). There is no way that I want to push on when the front tyre feels like this.
Many thanks

Front

I understand what you’re saying and there’s no doubt that what you’re experiencing isnt quite so pronounced when it’s warmer, but they will hold; you just have to have a little more faith with these. Road surface obviously is a factor too. Whilst I’m happy to put my GSA on its ear, I’ll be trying something different when the front goes on this pair.

Attachments

• 80B9485E-A4AA-411D-A378-63E40FFEC9AD.jpg
    80B9485E-A4AA-411D-A378-63E40FFEC9AD.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 501
I thought I would give the A41s a go on my 1250 GSA. I got about 5,000 miles from the OEM Anakees...although the rear was VERY squared off by that time. Grip and confidence had generally been good however, both front & rear.
Having done about 400 miles on the A41s, the rear is very confidence inspiring. I have CTA3s on a KTM1190, and there is little difference between the two in terms of grip and confidence at the rear.
However, the front A41 is making me feel nervous. On turn in at moderate speeds (60 mph) it feels as though the tyre momentarily slides, and then regains grip. This is the same one up, or with a pillion.
I am currently running 2.5 bar front and 2.9 rear, but have already experimented +/- 0.2 bar on the front with no difference to this sensation.
Anyone else out there experienced this with the A41 on a GSA, or better still have any suggestions (other than the typical 'your fault buying that crap tyre etc.etc.'). There is no way that I want to push on when the front tyre feels like this.
Many thanks

I was the same with the set on my last 1250GSA. Never got on with them and the front actually slipped a couple times, to the point that I had my foot off the peg. That was on dry, gravel free tarmac and at varying speeds. Then on a tour the front completely folded in the wet for no reason I can fathom, I wasn't on the brakes or anything and my friend was right in front of me on an identical line and had no issue. Since then I've run the Michelin 5 Trails and haven't had that same feeling at all.

I know that a lot of people really like them but I personally don't get on with them at all.

My 1250 GSA has A41's as stock, and they have been great tyres, however at the weekend, quick check of the tyres, worn after a recent French trip, but still clear of the wear markers on the front, and lots of meat left on the rear. Did about 140 miles at the weekend and had some vague front end issues, and then without warning, a butt clenching slide as the front let go, luckily on a wide right hander. In 140 miles the front went from ok, to faaaaaaark and it's on or below the wear limiters.

First time I've had a front tyre wear well before the rear, they are on about 4400 miles now, with 3000 of those being done in the recent French heatwave a couple of weeks ago. A good friend of mine loves A41's on his GSA, but did warn me, when trhey are getting close to end of life, there's no warning, they just let go, well he was right. Now after a bit of a struggle, I've found a pair of my preferred Anakee Adventures to go on, but they were a PITA to actually find.

So I've found the A41's to be fantastic, but need to keep an eye on them when they are approaching the wear limiters.

My 1250 GSA has A41's as stock, and they have been great tyres, however at the weekend, quick check of the tyres, worn after a recent French trip, but still clear of the wear markers on the front, and lots of meat left on the rear. Did about 140 miles at the weekend and had some vague front end issues, and then without warning, a butt clenching slide as the front let go, luckily on a wide right hander. In 140 miles the front went from ok, to faaaaaaark and it's on or below the wear limiters.

First time I've had a front tyre wear well before the rear, they are on about 4400 miles now, with 3000 of those being done in the recent French heatwave a couple of weeks ago. A good friend of mine loves A41's on his GSA, but did warn me, when trhey are getting close to end of life, there's no warning, they just let go, well he was right. Now after a bit of a struggle, I've found a pair of my preferred Anakee Adventures to go on, but they were a PITA to actually find.

So I've found the A41's to be fantastic, but need to keep an eye on them when they are approaching the wear limiters.

I wonder if that's part of my issue? Although I think that I was only on about 3000 miles when mine decided to let go completely.

Two years on and I still have complete faith in the A41s. I don't have any issues with noise, but then again, I wear plugs for longer trips anyway. Wet weather has been fine if taken easy. I wouldn't push on in wet weather on two wheels with any brand of tyre. Front wear at 2K miles is showing slightly more than the rear but I reckon the rear's good for 6K miles and the front I'd look to be changing at 3-4K miles, before I hit the wear indicator. Still very happy with them. Grip and handling are great in the dry and the bike still rolls beautifully because they're not squared off. I'd have no hesitation in buying another set if I was keeping the bike.

Coincidentally I have just changed the front A41 on my R1250 GS TE after 3800 miles. It wasn't onto the wear limiter but was very close, as the rear had been changed recently (by a previous owner) I had a matching A41 fitted to the front. TBH the A41 wouldn't necessarily have been my tyre of choice, I may have tried another brand (maybe Metzeler)

I'm only about 100 miles in so far with the new front A41 tyre so can't comment with any feedback

A41 Front 4000 miles

Front A41 well below wear limits after 4000 miles, the rear still looks new
I do prefer the PRs as they always feel planted

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Much appreciated.
We are planning a 600 mile jaunt this weekend out to the west of Scotland, so that will be almost 1000 miles on them.
If I'm still unsettled by the front at that mileage I'll probably swap them for a set of CTA3s. I know my KTM 1190 is a different beast, but the Contis do work well on that bike.
I'll update on here once back for anyone who is interested.

Update:
So, not quite the 600 miles at the weekend, but 520. The A41s have now done about 900 miles total and I have discovered the front is perhaps a bit 'pressure sensitive'.
I had been running the recommended 2.5 bar but took this down to 2.4 when cold (yes, I know that difference isn't much). It certainly had better feel as it warmed up, but it just isn't as confidence inspiring in the same way the STA3s are. The rear is great (2.9 bar) and now well scrubbed in to the edge of the tread.
I'll stick with the A41s for now anyway and see how they go as the mileage increases.

Back
Top Bottom