Morroco newbie short visit

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
My missus and I are taking are bikes to Spain and Portugal, we thought WTF lets dip our toe in Morocco.
She will be on an S1000Xr I will be on either one of those or my GSA so no off road adventures this time round.
We will be there for a couple of days so any suggestions of places of interest to go to within reasonable reach of the ferry.
One minor disadvantage, it seems churlish to mention it really but. my Wife is a below knee amputee so hiking up a mountain is probably a no no!

We will rock up and buy ferry tickets because her leg can dictate whether we make it or not.

I am not sure about insurance or breakdown, any advice would be gratefully received.

Insurance is available within 50 yards of the ferry terminal in Tangier. Several huts there selling it, all fairly cheap.

If were going for a couple of days I would maybe look at Chefchaouen or Asila on the coast. Fes or Meknes are an easy ride. Marrakech took us a full days ride. Not sure about breakdown we used start rescue last time but I'm not sure they provide cover anymore. As stated above insurance is just past Customs if you go in through Tangier Med.

Chefchaouen is an interesting place mainly as it can be described like the bar scene out of Star Wars. The comings and goings from the central hotel in the medina, from the Mad Max wannabes, American tourists, hippy travellers, four wheels and two wheels including Mr & Mrs Klim is quite a sight to see - especially at dusk. Some good restaurants in the centre too.

You could head off to Tetouan from T Med and then lovely ride along coast road to Al-Hoceima..stop for lunch at El Jebha ....night in Al Hoceima and then loop back via Ketama to Chefchaouen...stay at Parador hotel with safe guarded parking and good location....insurance and cash changing easy at Tan Med.....enjoy

You could do worse than doing what we did on the ‘Moroccan Dash’. See threads and posts.

Hi
My missus and I are taking are bikes to Spain and Portugal, we thought WTF lets dip our toe in Morocco.
She will be on an S1000Xr I will be on either one of those or my GSA so no off road adventures this time round.
We will be there for a couple of days so any suggestions of places of interest to go to within reasonable reach of the ferry.
One minor disadvantage, it seems churlish to mention it really but. my Wife is a below knee amputee so hiking up a mountain is probably a no no!

We will rock up and buy ferry tickets because her leg can dictate whether we make it or not.

I am not sure about insurance or breakdown, any advice would be gratefully received.

If you dont mind a slight hijack sir.
Can someone put up a tarmac route to the Sahara dunes?
Re: travel, take a really good look at the weather reports before scheduling, when it rains it can be epic and miserable, even so bring the best rain gear you own.

Bloody el........ just noticed Wapping has put 50406 posts on gser......that means if ya put one a day on you would be 138 years old......experience indeed.....:beerjug:[/QUOTE]just saying.......

At first take, the idea sounds great, but is it really worth the cost/effort/hassle/import docs/Insurance for just a couple of days? You would need a week to even scratch the surface, preferably far more. And..... you need to watch your timings with a bike - summer gets unbearably hot inland - witness the timings of the organised bike tour companies.

Why not stay down near Tarifa, say the Hotel Hurricane or similar, & take a day trip across to Tangier City. You'll get all the sights, sounds & atmosphere of Morocco - if you like it, come back with the bike when you can give it more time.

FRS run a fast ferry to Tanger Ville (care - not Tanger Med), which take around 1 hour each way. Try this link for further info ....................
https://www.frs.es/en/excursions-an...ions-1-day-to-morocco/tangier-cultural-1-day/

Just sayin.........each to their own.

Back
Top Bottom