Suggestions, near Portsmouth, please - A continuously updating thread

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Getting the ferry in 10 days time from Portsmouth but it would be nice to find a good wee village for the night before it for bed and beer and grub. Any suggestions within say 30 miles? Approaching from the west.

I'd rather stay out of the big towns and England does do good pubs and villages, better to avoid too much interest in a rusty old XT600

Stayed in Soberton last year and was "forced" to drink in this pub. Great food and ale, but can't comment on the accomodation though. Easy access to Portsmouth.

I finished up staying here

http://www.waratahlodge.co.uk/index.htm

£50 for a single room. Slightly quirky place but fine, boots or shoes have to be removed inside cause new carpets
I would avoid the microwaved breakfast and have fried or cereal.

Nice friendly folk, good parking for the bike and a couple of pubs within easy walking, and the ferry is only 15 mins away

Stayed in Soberton last year and was "forced" to drink in this pub. Great food and ale, but can't comment on the accomodation though. Easy access to Portsmouth.

Stopped at The White Lion in Soberton last night after getting off the ferry back from Bilbao to Portsmouth.

The Sunday roast and breakfast were both excellent, the bike was hidden from view around the back (although it’s a very small rural village) and the room was lovely. Comfiest bed I’ve slept in in months :beerjug:

Attachments

• 0B601280-E393-4A4C-BE89-C60C836FDFF4.jpg
    0B601280-E393-4A4C-BE89-C60C836FDFF4.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 40FAE186-5CAB-4375-BB27-100E70988BB1.jpg
    40FAE186-5CAB-4375-BB27-100E70988BB1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 236
Bosham and Emsworth are both lovely villages. You could try the Millstream Hotel or the Bosham Boathouse in Bosham, or the Jingles B&B in Esworth. There's also a Travelodge nearby if you want cheap rather than quirky.

Bosham and Emsworth are both lovely villages. You could try the Millstream Hotel or the Bosham Boathouse in Bosham, or the Jingles B&B in Esworth. There's also a Travelodge nearby if you want cheap rather than quirky.

His boat sailed years ago !

Nice wee village near Portsmouth?

Do people not bother to read threads before jumping on the bandwagon ?
Northern Jock asked the orignal question in early 2019 and Sven just so happens to comment today that they stayed in one of the places mentioned.
Cue a load of posts of recommended places to stay, which is probably fuck all use to the OP seeing as his trip was in 2019 !!! :)

Do people not bother to read threads before jumping on the bandwagon ?
Northern Jock asked the orignal question in early 2019 and Sven just so happens to comment today that they stayed in one of the places mentioned.
Cue a load of posts of recommended places to stay, which is probably fuck all use to the OP seeing as his trip was in 2019 !!! :)

Because its still relevant today of course for those with upcoming ferry crossings this year and 2023 :rolleyes:

Unless you have done with the delights of Pompey previously, why not try the Holiday Inn at Gunwharf - plenty to do/see around the Dockyards, maybe a harbour trip.

Because its still relevant today of course for those with upcoming ferry crossings this year and 2023 :rolleyes:

I booked the White Lion after searching for "Portsmouth" in the Accommodation section, so posted to provide some feedback and info on the place if others are also looking for accommodation in the area. It's still a relevant thread IMHO.

His boat sailed years ago !

I have updated the title.

Of course it won’t prevent Fat Bob, bikermate from Bridgnorth or Blackpool, stating yet another thread (probably in the Travel section, from where it’ll have to be moved) along the lines of: “Me and me five mates we is off on ours holibobs and is wanting gaff to stay near portmouth biker frendly an in village cos we donut use towns we is of timor0”.

PS Sven is an exception, of course.

I have updated the title.

Of course it won’t prevent Fat Bob, bikermate from Bridgnorth or Blackpool, stating yet another thread (probably in the Travel section, from where it’ll have to be moved) along the lines of: “Me and me five mates we is off on ours holibobs and is wanting gaff to stay near portmouth biker frendly an in village cos we donut use towns we is of timor0”.

I guess I shouldn't have asked for a village rather than a town somewhere near Portsmouth where I could stay. How naive.

Not sure about the timor0 bit.

Back
Top Bottom