Nav 5 and waypoints - Skip waypoints function / button - How?

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A little assistance please about my 'new to me' Nav-5

If I plan a route with several waypoints, and then decide to miss out one of them I get constant redirections to go back to the waypoint I missed out.

Is it possible for me to stop it doing this?

Is it possible for me to stop it doing this?

Yes.

Which software are you using to create your route or are you just asking the device to take you from A to D via waypoints B and C?

In the meantime, as a fix:

1. Use the ‘skip waypoint’ function button on your GPS device

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=6bnVCGlxpF1EwtG0UZraC6

Depending on how you created your route and on the device settings / preferences you have set, hitting the skip button MIGHT alter the direction the device takes you (in other words, the roads it directs you down) between the waypoint you have skipped and the next waypoint on your route. This may or may not matter to you

Or....

2. Change the waypoints to shaping points, either when you create your route or from within the device itself. Here is how to do it from within the device:

Home screen

Apps

Trip planner

Tap on route

You should see a screen that shows from the left, three horizontal bars in the top left corner, a list of the points of the route, starting with your start point with a green flag and a series of orange flags. On the right the route’s name, its distance and travel time, map and go buttons.

On this screen, beneath the green flag start point, there’s the series of points with orange flags. These are the announced waypoints

Tap on the three horizontal lines

Tap on Edit Destinations

Tap on all of the orange flags or as many of them as you want to change

The orange flag(s) should change to a blue dot

When prompted that the duration and arrival times will be removed, change to shaping point? Tap yes

Tap Save

You may well see the device recalculate

Tap the back button

You are now back on the screen with the three horizontal bars in the top left

Check total distance, travel time and tap on map. Does the route on the map show a green flag, blue dots for the shaping points and a cheques flag at the end? Does it all look right? Yes....

Tap on back button

Tap on Go!

Job done.

PS You can change all or any of blue dots back to announced point orange flags using the same method

Alternatively, just pass through the waypoint (which is doing nothing more than you doing what you have told the device you MUST do) and you’ll never be sent back again. All joking apart, try to learn how waypoints and shaping points work and how to use them properly in your planning of routes from A to D via B and C. The latest devices - including the Nav V - are very powerful. Like using a gun, it’s best to learn, so as to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.

There’s an arrow on the main screen. Just hit that and it’ll take you to the next waypoint. ;)

I knew about the difference between waypoints and shaping points on the laptop software (Basecamp), but hadn't realised you could amend them on the unit itself. I've just had a quick play with my Nav IV, and it's great! Who needs to read the manual when you have a Wapping to do it for you?!? :D

Thanks for the answers, - they all give me something to look at. I'm not a complete sat-nav numpty, just new to the Nav-5. I did the route in basecamp then imported to device. I do tend to use shaping points, but obviously not on this occasion. I'm just finding my feet with a new toy.

Great.

Let us know if you find any other problems, please.

You can, at least on a Mac, change individual waypoints (or all of them at once) to shaping points and visa-versa, very easily when creating a route in BaseCamp. All done in route properties. I think all that has happened to you is that you have discovered that a Nav V sometimes treats waypoints differently to earlier devices.

I've been playing with it! :rolleyes: no, no, not that, I've been playing with the Nav 5

Had a play with everyone's advice. All positive stuff. I like the one about changing from w'points to s'points, - and back again should you wish to. Will try hitting the arrow button on the screen next time I'm out.

Unfortunately, the Nav 5 (well I can't find it) does not have the auto-skip button in the navigation menu like the Nav 6.

But, with this abundance of new knowledge, I have now done the honourable thing and promoted myself from Nav 5 numpty to Nav 5 amateur.

Thanks for all your help.

I can't remember, but.... Doesn't the Nav V require a route (with waypoints in it) to be running before it will offer up the skip waypoint option?

I half remember that the skip waypoint option lurks somewhere in the device. When selected its associated button can be displayed on the map screen.

This might hold the answer but make sure you are running a route with a waypoint in it. Also make sure any software updates are installed, too.

Customizing Map Buttons

You can include up to two icons on the right side of the main map.

1 Select Settings > Map & Vehicle > Map Buttons.
2 Select an icon, and select OK.....

Yep, you're right. I've now got 2 map buttons on the screen (found them by accident) - I've got skip the w'point button, & stop the route button, but I can't find anymore

From memory, there’s a bunch more but you can only display two buttons at any one time.

Download the full Garmin PDF Owner’s Manual for the Nav V for details.

You're correct. I downloaded the manual earlier and looked it up, - as the saying goes, "if all else fails, read the f-ing instructions"

Great, looks like you have it cracked.

I have moved the thread into the Nav V section and altered its title a little

Richard

Can you do the w'points to s'points and back again trick in Basecamp? I've been looking but with no success

Resurrecting this - just came across it

So if I have a route with shaping points E.g. a to c via b, my nav 5 won’t try to route me to b after I have gone past it?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom