Bilbao to lleida

I have now scketched out a route which I think will take me through some nice scenery, regardless of the roads being boring or fun.

Planning to go round and get past Pamplona as quick as I can from the early morning drop off at Bilbao (about 2 hours ride ) and then onto the N260 towards Jaca. After reading Rashers post I think I'll also take in the Puerto de Iso detour, then back to the N260. Follow that until Ainsa and depending how long that takes I might head south-west towards Barbastro then Lleida, or time permitting do a loop up onto the N230 before turning south. I think that will give me a good, days view of the area to then come back again another time and explore better.

All the tracker show about 7:5 to 9.5 hours which I would guess is about right unless someone says it's way out of whack for some unforseen reason?

"crap after Jaca" heading SE, are you sure?

That is not what I said, I said I am heading South East on the FRENCH SIDE ;-) Route des Cols.

We are returning (Therefore Heading North West) along the Spanish side on the N260, which appears to be arrow straight between Jaca and Pamplona - Not ridden it yet, but it looks pretty straight on the Map, and some random Google Street View "Spot checks" I made suggest it is a fairly dull road....

...I may yet be proved wrong.

But a few hours of dull roads is not bad price to pay for an 8 day trip primarily on amazing Mountain Roads and Passes.

That is not what I said, I said I am heading South East on the FRENCH SIDE ;-) Route des Cols.

We are returning (Therefore Heading North West) along the Spanish side on the N260, which appears to be arrow straight between Jaca and Pamplona - Not ridden it yet, but it looks pretty straight on the Map, and some random Google Street View "Spot checks" I made suggest it is a fairly dull road....

...I may yet be proved wrong.

But a few hours of dull roads is not bad price to pay for an 8 day trip primarily on amazing Mountain Roads and Passes.

Whoops, speed reading folly of mine, sorry! And by way of an apology ...

The N-240 (not the N-260 from Jaca onwards) is indeed very dull and it's difficult to find a fast alternative, but of you have an hour or so to spare turn north at Sigues and take the NA-2200 and rejoin the N-240 at Lumbier, not forgetting to take the old road at the Foz de Arbayún ...

screen-shot-2019-04-13-at-07.10.56.png

... and stop for photos at the mirador - you call it the Puerto de Iso viewing platform, it is definitely well worth it!!! :)

hiss2015a11.jpg

Regs

Simon

I have now scketched out a route which I think will take me through some nice scenery, regardless of the roads being boring or fun.

Planning to go round and get past Pamplona as quick as I can from the early morning drop off at Bilbao (about 2 hours ride ) and then onto the N260 towards Jaca. After reading Rashers post I think I'll also take in the Puerto de Iso detour, then back to the N260. Follow that until Ainsa and depending how long that takes I might head south-west towards Barbastro then Lleida, or time permitting do a loop up onto the N230 before turning south. I think that will give me a good, days view of the area to then come back again another time and explore better.

All the tracker show about 7:5 to 9.5 hours which I would guess is about right unless someone says it's way out of whack for some unforseen reason?

The N-260 isn't my favourite road and the section between Sabiñánigo and Ainsa is one of the bad bits, too narrow and full of campervans, etc. - and f***in idiots on sports bikes who think that if they ride the N-260 they've 'done' the Pyrenees ...

So my alternative - giving away two of my favourite roads on two consecutive posts! - is the A-1604 from just south of Sabiñánigo to just west of Boltaña.

Ainsa is a great place to stop for a rest and 'change the chip' as the road south to Barbastro is a 'blaster' - dangerous! - and it's motorway from Barbastro on - don't bother with the old national highway, it's not one of the good ones.

Regs

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Had seen one of your earlier posts with the view platform and already put a small detour in to see that, will look at other roads and see if we may be able to make the journey a bit better, but not overly bothered as might be nice to get to Pamplona a bit earlier and go for a wander.

Thanks Simon,

Had seen one of your earlier posts with the view platform and already put a small detour in to see that, will look at other roads and see if we may be able to make the journey a bit better, but not overly bothered as might be nice to get to Pamplona a bit earlier and go for a wander.

Your welcome! :) Pamplona is worth devoting a long evening exploring as the old centre is lovely, and full of tapas bars! :)

Simon

Whoops, speed reading folly of mine, sorry! And by way of an apology ...

The N-240 (not the N-260 from Jaca onwards) is indeed very dull and it's difficult to find a fast alternative, but of you have an hour or so to spare turn north at Sigues and take the NA-2200 and rejoin the N-240 at Lumbier, not forgetting to take the old road at the Foz de Arbayún ...

... and stop for photos at the mirador - you call it the Puerto de Iso viewing platform, it is definitely well worth it!!! :)

hiss2015a11.jpg

Regs

Simon

Hi, I wonder if you could identify where mirador (Puerto de Iso viewing platform) is I tried googling it and failed to find it, I suspect we will be very close to it later this week?

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if you could identify where mirador (Puerto de Iso viewing platform) is I tried googling it and failed to find it, I suspect we will be very close to it later this week?

Thanks

It’s easy to find…. :beerjug:

Foz de Arbayún
https://goo.gl/maps/SSNmbd9qZa74TgJi7

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...un-senderismo-en-navarra/&prev=search&pto=aue

Go to:

https://www.viajaporlibre.com/espana/navarra/el-mirador-de-la-foz-de-arbayun

And ask Google to translate it into Christian English:

7a97bedb14d4d99b09eed01c99f6d895.png

Thanks Wapping I’d not thought to translate it first as previously Google maps have found POI in the EU regardless of language.

Every days a school day and it’s only 15/minutes off our route so will likely divert to see it.

Thanks Wapping I’d not thought to translate it first as previously Google maps have found POI in the EU regardless of language.

Every days a school day and it’s only 15/minutes off our route so will likely divert to see it.
Glad that's sorted. On the ground you will find all those POI s signposted in white letters on a brown background - same as UK? It's been so long since I was there I have no idea :)

We went to see it and it was well worth the short diversion, one problem is that it appears to be spelt in a number of ways

Foz & Hoz and the Arbayun also Arbain or something similar plus Mirador.

Basically from Lumbier head for Domeno and keep going, turn right at the brown sign. We arrived mid afternoon on Friday and it was tranquil for about 10 minutes until some others arrived, sadly we didn’t see any of the raptors advertised on the tourist information.

Attachments

• EB607203-E12C-4B3B-98BA-44137C1F10D0.jpg
    EB607203-E12C-4B3B-98BA-44137C1F10D0.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 256
We went to see it and it was well worth the short diversion, one problem is that it appears to be spelt in a number of ways

Foz & Hoz and the Arbayun also Arbain or something similar plus Mirador.

Basically from Lumbier head for Domeno and keep going, turn right at the brown sign. We arrived mid afternoon on Friday and it was tranquil for about 10 minutes until some others arrived, sadly we didn’t see any of the raptors advertised on the tourist information.

You are in Navarre, where signs are bilingual, Spanish and Basque! Mirador - viewpoint - is the same everywhere :) Synonyms for 'ravine' you'll see as well as foz and hoz; garganta, congest, desfiladero ...

Enjoy!

Where in Lleida are you headed?

You are in Navarre, where signs are bilingual, Spanish and Basque! Mirador - viewpoint - is the same everywhere :) Synonyms for 'ravine' you'll see as well as foz and hoz; garganta, congest, desfiladero ...

Enjoy!

Where in Lleida are you headed?

Now in Barcelona for two nights.

Was it you that suggested the Museu de la Moto de Bassella ?

Superb museum and many thanks to you or whoever it was. 9 Euros excellent VFM, photo of myself on Toni Bou’s bike

Attachments

• 963D1405-121F-465F-BB2C-C8EB92229917.jpg
    963D1405-121F-465F-BB2C-C8EB92229917.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 248
Now in Barcelona for two nights.

Was it you that suggested the Museu de la Moto de Bassella ?

Superb museum and many thanks to you or whoever it was. 9 Euros excellent VFM, photo of myself on Toni Bou’s bike

Yes, I think that would be me. :)

And me! Recommended the upcountry branch in Bassella. Years ago now. Excellent museum.
Hope to make it to the Barca venue some day.

Sorry buddy but that closed a few years ago. The whole collection is now at Bassella but wasn't on display last time I went:(

nothing Dull about Lleida if you know where to look. my lad raced at Alcaras alot which is just down the road. Mr Marques live just a few miles up the road and is often in Lleida training on MX or flat track. if you go in late summer make sure you like peaches as they seem to give the bloody things away with every purchase. i got a 5kg bag just cos i bought some fuel.

Back
Top Bottom