Suggestions for a useable tank bag for the GSA 1250

Vince E

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking for advice

Has anybody bought a tank bag for the 1250 GSA? My research tells me there does not seem to be much choice.

BMW advise against using the Givi tank lock type because of the strain it puts on the petrol filler ring, and if it dies damage the tank it may invalidate the warranty.

I'm looking for suggestions, has anybody got one they are happy with and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation.

Vince

I'm perfectly happy with the small BMW tankbag. Fitted well on my 1200 and now transferred to my 1250. It did make a very small rub mark on the tank of the 1200, so I've put a small piece of helicopter tape on the new bike to protect it.

I've used the Givi tank bag, with the ring on the tank cap, with zero issues for nearly 4 years. Never heard of anyone having issues with them damaging the tank..sounds like your dealer is just trying to sell you a BMW bag

Same here and now you have the tanklokED series that can be locked to the ring with a key

My 63 plate had a new tank fitted under warranty due to the filler being distorted and leaking petrol. It was an approved used bike and no idea if it had a tank ring fitted before I got it.

For this reason alone I'm happy to stick with the BMW tank bag.

I use the Touratech bag - Ambato Exp Sport. Easy to put on - take off. For me more practical than the BMW option. Good quality. No issues.

One of the bolts came out skewiff when I fitted my Givi tank ring to my GSA - the bolt had never been out before. I had to take all the plastic off the fuel tank so that I could tap out the thread as my tap wasn't long enough and I've learnt never to force bolts into place on motorbikes. Being cynical, maybe that's why BMW don't want you taking the bolts out as stripping the thread is going to be an expensive repair (maybe new tank as mentioned above?).

SW Motech sits fine on mine and the added map pocket is handy too as it is held in place with a couple of toggles rather than just Velcro which didn’t hold well in cross winds.....the ring is fixed solid to tank and I can’t imagine any problem.....had a Touratech one previous and it slid all over the place.......

Attachments

• 21A746AB-BBF2-4D3D-891C-3845FC884701.jpg
    21A746AB-BBF2-4D3D-891C-3845FC884701.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 2,149
  • FFFA2298-CE25-4AA4-B2EE-5DC34C2C3735.jpg
    FFFA2298-CE25-4AA4-B2EE-5DC34C2C3735.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,832
  • D3F258FC-1616-4255-B750-A6D78791F3A1.jpg
    D3F258FC-1616-4255-B750-A6D78791F3A1.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,837
If you use a tankring fixing, then the bigger/heavier ithe tankbag is then the more strain it will put on the filler fixing. These fixings have to resist the acceleration and braking forces applied to the mass of the tankbag and contents, but are just brass inserts moulded into the plastic of the tank. I decided not to risk it, and find the small BMW bag ideal.

any one got any pics of the small BMW tank back fitted? wanted to see how it looks for size etc ..

any one got any pics of the small BMW tank back fitted? wanted to see how it looks for size etc ..

Here are a few of STD GS small tank bag fitted to GSA

a67b934e8eab1d0a2ca2f7832a5ee653.jpg
9a8e98e1dd68790b26b0cf5cd574ca93.jpg

e16d5503144bee9bec79be76b9efaaff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be looking to get a tank bag for my GSA 2016 in the next month or so, i assume this is the genuine BMW bag. Have heard for tank bags scratching / damaging tanks, have you had any problems with yours?

Thanks

Mine didn't scratch the tank as such, but did cause a little scuffing about 2-3 inches down from the filler, over a couple of years and 11k miles, most of which were done with the tankbag on. That was on a GS, so not sure how similar the top panel is to the GSA. It pretty much polished out, but I've put a little helicopter tape on the relevant area on my 1250 and a bit of self adhesive foam rubber on the underside of the tank bag which should avoid this in future.

I'm very happy with the small BMW tank bag and it was cheaper than a small SW Motech one.......

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3ad.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3ad.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 2,117

I will be looking to get a tank bag for my GSA 2016 in the next month or so, i assume this is the genuine BMW bag. Have heard for tank bags scratching / damaging tanks, have you had any problems with yours?

Thanks

Yes, it is a genuine BMW tank bag, but it was originally on my standard 2016 GS. It is not recommended for the GSA, but I found it fitted ok.

In all the time I used it on my GS, including a 2700 mile trip around Europe, I never had any issues with it scratching the tank. But then I was careful where I put it down.

I sold it recently, as I prefer a handlebar bag, which is ideal for toll change and phone charging.

I've used the Givi tank bag, with the ring on the tank cap, with zero issues for nearly 4 years. Never heard of anyone having issues with them damaging the tank..sounds like your dealer is just trying to sell you a BMW bag

There was quite a big thing in the States when the GSA LC came out , numerous issues with tank ring mounted tank bags distorting the filler neck of the aluminium tank, BMW in the States was informing owners that any tank neck leakage that they believed to be caused by the fitting of such tank bags would not be covered by the warranty

Mine didn't scratch the tank as such, but did cause a little scuffing about 2-3 inches down from the filler, over a couple of years and 11k miles, most of which were done with the tankbag on. That was on a GS, so not sure how similar the top panel is to the GSA. It pretty much polished out, but I've put a little helicopter tape on the relevant area on my 1250 and a bit of self adhesive foam rubber on the underside of the tank bag which should avoid this in future.

Fred - I had the same light 'smudging' on my GS with the standard GS bag but lower down. About 4 inches up from the seat - after about 7000 miles. I also plan to put it on my new 1250 GSA (as the GSA ones are too tall). I have had a 3m type film installed over the top part of the tank, but could you show us a pick of your protective tape and padding? That sounds good. :)

Fred - I had the same light 'smudging' on my GS with the standard GS bag but lower down. About 4 inches up from the seat - after about 7000 miles. I also plan to put it on my new 1250 GSA (as the GSA ones are too tall). I have had a 3m type film installed over the top part of the tank, but could you show us a pick of your protective tape and padding? That sounds good. :)

I'm not exactly sure where my scuffing was because I've didn't measure it before I changed bikes, but I've now put some self adhesive foam rubber on the underside of the bag and some helicopter tape where that makes contact. This now holds the rest of the bag away from the paintwork. Some pics below:

A6K5-50815-XL.jpg

A6K5-50816-XL.jpg

A6K5-50812-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom