Suggestions for a useable tank bag for the GSA 1250

I've used the Givi tank bag, with the ring on the tank cap, with zero issues for nearly 4 years. Never heard of anyone having issues with them damaging the tank..sounds like your dealer is just trying to sell you a BMW bag
A friend of mine has a givi tank bag with the tank filler ring connector. He now carries an allen key to fit the tank ring as two or three times he has been unable to open the filler cap, he has to do a bit of adjusting then it pops open.
BMW large tank bag for me. It lives on the bike as it carries all the boy scout stuff, 7 years and 60,000mls, still completely waterproof.

Plus one on the GIVI, I have two givi tank bags Large & Small both powered, excellent.

SW Motech Pro GS. Utterly brilliant, locates itself on the ring, very well built and designed 10 out of 10.

Hi
I'm on my third GS and have had the Givi tank lock fitted without any problems.
Not heard of anything untoward.

There were issues with the gsa lc's when they first came out with filler caps leaking, BMW blamed heavy Givi tank bags on tank ring mounts distorting the tank filler neck

Depending on what you want to carry in it will help you decide which type to get. I’ve had all sorts over the years, mostly of the big bucket type. Great for capacity but end up looking like a man’s kitchen drawer! I have a Mosko Moto Nomad on my GSA and it’s fantastic. Great quality and lots of storage capacity for those things you carry in a tank bag. The best feature is that it is layered so that you can sort your dunnage out by type, and not have to hunt for stuff at the bottom every time you want something.

I’ve used SW Motech tankbags for years without issue. Five years/26k miles on my 2014 R1200GS and 2.5 years/16.5k on my 2019 R1250GS :thumby: They’re much more practical than tank bags with straps.

There were issues with the gsa lc's when they first came out with filler caps leaking, BMW blamed heavy Givi tank bags on tank ring mounts distorting the tank filler neck

The filler neck on my AUB was replaced under warranty due to leakage.

I like the BMW tank bags and have both the small and large. I suppose if you're only carrying very small lightweight items they may be fine. I sometimes carry my Canon 5D and various L lenses and wouldn't want that weight hanging on a tank ring.

They take a few seconds to fit and remove.

The great 1250GSA tank bag search of 2021 continues..
I`ve put hours and hours of research into this, probably more research than i ever did buying a house or what school to send my kids to ffs.....
How can buying such a seemingly simple piece of motorcycling luggage be so bewildering?

I do like a tank bag and always have one fitted, examples of the priorities for this purchase are as follows;
1) must fit the contours of the tank and be snugly fitted without any `bunching up` - no gaps underneath the bag or fixing harness. Straps are fine.
2) Cannot be one of the type that affix to the tank filler cap that look like they are `floating` (see above) `cos they look like ass.
3)easily on and off-able for re-fuelling.
4)not so large that i cannot see the dash.
5)preferably not BMW or TT branded....

Does anyone have any experience with the following tank bags that could provide some thoughts on the above points;

Giant Loop Fandango Pro

SW-Motech Pro Enduro Motorcycle Tank Bag

Nelson Rigg

Givi Gravel-T WP Tank Bag 20L GRT715

Muchas gracias.

Why not the BMW one?

Designed by the manufacturer to suit their bike...

Why not the BMW one?

After having tried several different bags, I've landed on the BMW bag. It does have it's draw backs, but there is one thing that trumps everything else in my book: It's waterproof.
I HATE tankbag covers, in-convenient in use, and flaps in the wind.
What I dislike with the BMW bag is the absolutely and utterly useless map window. The map window is not waterproof (The water proofing does not work for the window), besides, driving in sunny weather, the window reflects the sunlight and blinds the rider.
One more detail that sucks is the strapping system. The bag is not very stable sideways, but after I started to cross the strap (left holding the right lock and vice versa) the stability has improved. Anyway, in spite of all it's drawbacks it is still my preferred tank bag for the time being...

Why not the BMW one?

On that logic you would only ever fit OEM farkles and other bits. There are other manufacturers out there that do the job so much better for some things.

..................and look what i ended up with.
Who would of thought that a BMW accessory specially tailored for the bike would be a perfect, no-fuss fit and exactly what i was after all along........?
:blast

Tank-Bag.jpg

They are a good quality bag (I have one sat in my garage right now) which as you say fits well. My issue with them is that unless you are carrying bulky stuff, camera etc, then they are just a big bucket where things get shoved. Trying to find stuff then gets difficult! I also found the map case thingy on the top useless as its gathers condensation like no ones business unless its a totally dry and warm day. Goes nice with your paint scheme though.

Have you considered the mosko Moto Nomad ( now for some reason called the nomax. )

It is my go to bag now. Put it through its paces including an overland From the UK to India. Perfect for a tank bag.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On that logic you would only ever fit OEM farkles and other bits. There are other manufacturers out there that do the job so much better for some things.

But not for tank bags... In my opinion.

As mentioned earlier, I have both small and large. The drawback of the map pocket not being waterproof is a minor inconvenience to me as I've not needed use maps for years and any paper documents I put in there are in self-seal bags.

Waterproof and hold 5kg's safely - certainly wouldn't trust a filler fit type to hold anywhere near that amount, particularly under heavy braking.

I wouldn't use a ring mounted bag either. I use the Mosko Nomad. The map pocket is a pain as nothing of any importance can be stored in it as its gets wet. The tank bag is in itself waterproof, but the condensation issue defeats the object!

Back
Top Bottom