How do I move a route from Kurviger to Garmin

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I'm sure this is mentioned elsewhere, but I'm lazy and stupid. (Never a good combination, but seems to suit me well where I work!)

Can a route generated on Kurviger be transferred to a Garmin Navigator VI?

Yes.

Importing a Kurviger route to a Garmin Zumo using BaseCamp.

Once you downloaded a GPX file from Kurviger, open it in BaseCamp.

If everything worked out you will see some waypoints, a straight route between the waypoints, and a track. The track should be equal to the route calculated by Kurviger.

Next?

Right, I've exported and saved the .gpx file from Kurviger on my laptop, which goes by default (on my laptop at least) to Downloads. Imported from downloads into desired location on BaseCamp. It's just calculating the route.

Worth saying (in case anyone else is wondering - or indeed wandering) that exporting the route doesn't work. You need to export the track from Kurviger, import it to the location you want in BaseCamp, then right click on the track and select "create route from selected track." You can then delete the imported track.

Thanks for your help, Mr Wapping!

Right, I've exported and saved the .gpx file from Kurviger on my laptop, which goes by default (on my laptop at least) to Downloads. Imported from downloads into desired location on BaseCamp. It's just calculating the route.

Worth saying (in case anyone else is wondering - or indeed wandering) that exporting the route doesn't work. You need to export the track from Kurviger, import it to the location you want in BaseCamp, then right click on the track and select "create route from selected track." You can then delete the imported track.

or, export as a GPX file - this gives 2 options, a direct download to anywhere - if you plug in the Garmin you can save it direct to the SD card GPX folder. The other option is to give you a link such as https://kurv.gr/L2odP which then allows you to share the file with anyone. That's my route after meeting friends from Kent Friday lunchtime to the inn we are staying at over Easter.
No need to bother Basecamp.

or, export as a GPX file - this gives 2 options, a direct download to anywhere - if you plug in the Garmin you can save it direct to the SD card GPX folder. The other option is to give you a link such as https://kurv.gr/L2odP which then allows you to share the file with anyone. That's my route after meeting friends from Kent Friday lunchtime to the inn we are staying at over Easter.
No need to bother Basecamp.

Good tip! I do like the share route option without going via basecamp, but for trip planning in advance I'd like to stick it in Basecamp to review and amend if necessary.

Are you in Kent over the weekend?

If I was able to, I would always check a route created in Kurviger in BaseCamp / Mapsource, looking for any glitches.

Good tip! I do like the share route option without going via basecamp, but for trip planning in advance I'd like to stick it in Basecamp to review and amend if necessary.

Are you in Kent over the weekend?

No, they are coming to the civilised world where we have roads with elevation change and corners. We are meeting at Steel Horse cafe between Usk & Abergavenny and heading over to Llanwrtyd Wells to stay in a brewpub for 3 nights. We hope to be sober enough to ride some Cambrian, Brecon Beacon and Black Mountain(s) passes over the weekend whilst avoiding the attention of the Heddlu.

If I was able to, I would always check a route created in Kurviger in BaseCamp / Mapsource, looking for any glitches.

I’m gonna try plotting a route in kurviger and slapping it straight into the Garmin. Bollocks to Basecamp.

Wish me luck! :D

I’m gonna try plotting a route in kurviger and slapping it straight into the Garmin. Bollocks to Basecamp.

Wish me luck! :D

This I have just gotta put down my iPad and watch....

chimp-tablet-happy-video-id146210390

thats helpful cheers using MyRoute app at the moment easy to use ,but won't allow a route transfer just a track .

thats helpful cheers using MyRoute app at the moment easy to use ,but won't allow a route transfer just a track .

Does it matter that MRoute only transfers tracks, when a track can be converted to a route very easily inside many GPS devices?

A track should convert to a route near enough exactly. The danger with importing a route is that the device might ‘see’ just the waypoints, connecting each with straight lines. The device will then have to ‘guess’ how to drag the straight lines onto roads, which it will do according to the preference settings in your device. For example, if the straight line between waypoints C and D is 10 miles of tolled motorway but you have set your device to avoid toll roads, it will render up a route that might take you miles out of your way, just so that it can obey your instruction to avoid toll roads.

This might not matter if you are on your own, except that you might be very late arriving at point D. Where it will matter, as I have seen it happen, is where you have a bunch of bods. Some of them (due to their preference settings) will take the tolled motorway and some of them won’t. When and if they ever all meet again, the first thing you’ll hear is “But my device said.....” Having hung around for an hour waiting for them, there will then be a further 30 minutes whilst assorted chimps push assorted buttons on their devices whilst scratching their heads. And so the day will progress over the next 250 miles.......

be aware, as above check your route especially if you have plotted the route in kurvy or extra kurvy mode.

be aware, as above check your route especially if you have plotted the route in kurvy or extra kurvy mode.

Good advice, as always.

The other time I have seen it go wrong (and this will apply to routes converted from tracks, too) is where the route / track from say Kurviger or downloaded from a third party, took a road - maybe a small track - that is perfectly rideable but is not shown on the Garmin or TomTom’s own map. The device will route you right to the last point it knows. It will then route you over maybe many many miles to the next point it knows, just because it has no other way of doing it.

Similarly, if the third party or Kurviger track / route takes what is now a one way street, the device will take you all around the houses (literally) just to avoid taking you 10 feet down a no entry.

Wherever possible, always check the routes you have created, especially those generated outside of Garmin or TomTom’s generic software or come to you from a third party, even someone you know or trust. Five or ten minutes spent in the comfort of your home or hotel room, might just save you hours of frustration in the rain on the road. Trust me.

Modern GPS devices are now virtually small personal computers, very powerful in their operation but sometimes quite dumb, relying entirely on the settings you have told the device to work to; it’s the P in personal. Sometimes the device will simply not be able to do what you have asked for, so it will do its best, even if that is just rendering up straight lines between A, B, C and D.

PS From time to time I download from third parties, often from German magazines, such as Alpenrider; as much for the practice as anything else. When looking at the tracks, it’s often possible to see where the bod made a mistake, doubling back to get back to where they wanted to go. It’s sometimes easy to spot where they drop off the route for lunch, coffee or to get fuel (if you just convert their track blindly, you’ll be following them) and once or twice when they have stopped off at what seems to be nothing more than some bloke’s house. I sometimes wonder if he gets pissed off with blokes on bikes sitting by his front door, scratching their heads and shouting at their Garmins.

Does it matter that MRoute only transfers tracks, when a track can be converted to a route very easily inside many GPS devices?

A track should convert to a route near enough exactly. The danger with importing a route is that the device might ‘see’ just the waypoints, connecting each with straight lines. The device will then have to ‘guess’ how to drag the straight lines onto roads, which it will do according to the preference settings in your device. For example, if the straight line between waypoints C and D is 10 miles of tolled motorway but you have set your device to avoid toll roads, it will render up a route that might take you miles out of your way, just so that it can obey your instruction to avoid toll roads.

This might not matter if you are on your own, except that you might be very late arriving at point D. Where it will matter, as I have seen it happen, is where you have a bunch of bods. Some of them (due to their preference settings) will take the tolled motorway and some of them won’t. When and if they ever all meet again, the first thing you’ll hear is “But my device said.....” Having hung around for an hour waiting for them, there will then be a further 30 minutes whilst assorted chimps push assorted buttons on their devices whilst scratching their heads. And so the day will progress over the next 250 miles.......

Thanks for that Wapping and you are right, this is exactly what happens with group riding. fortunately when we have a group we use the second man drop off so one turns with out being seen normally.

one issue with Myroute is that it does not show the waypoints when imported as a track. ( is that how it should be ? ) . So the track has a start and finish point exactly as planned along the roads we want to ride. Myroute app recommends turning off the automatic recalculation mode when using their app. So.......if we are riding through the black forest and the road is closed or for some reason we need a diversion, it becomes abit of a panic.

What I have tried that works "ok ", is to write the map in Myroute save as a track then drag n drop the file into basecamp. this brings up a map with straight red lines , ( the route ) way point to way point,but also a black line highlighting the track. I then hold the alt key on the Mac and drag the straight red lines to the black track marked roads.this drags the red route lines into the black track lines . its done it ok so far on a test ride of local roads, but feel abit insecure trying it when we heard to Italy in July.

So going back to what you are saying, in a basecamp map which just has the straight red lines from way point to way point, this would load to the Nav 6 drawn as that , but would follow its own route to get from way point to waypoint ? I have seen quite a few times this image on the nav when uploaded but just deleted it and never tried it...time to ride and try .....and thank you for the response .

No, they are coming to the civilised world where we have roads with elevation change and corners. We are meeting at Steel Horse cafe between Usk & Abergavenny and heading over to Llanwrtyd Wells to stay in a brewpub for 3 nights. We hope to be sober enough to ride some Cambrian, Brecon Beacon and Black Mountain(s) passes over the weekend whilst avoiding the attention of the Heddlu.

Woah, hold you horses, cowboy. Elevation changes AND corners, you say? At the same time?!? It'll end in tears and confuse the hell out of anyone from Romney Marsh.

Enjoy your weekend!

This I have just gotta put down my iPad and watch....

chimp-tablet-happy-video-id146210390

Well, I spent 3 minutes fiddling about, then decided that I can’t be arsed. I’ve got a rough route, so what’s the worst that can happen? :D

Back
Top Bottom