Opinion

Me it would be the xtz 660, anything Indian will shake itself to death, I might get shot down but still have to find something solid that they build, they even wrecked Lambretta scooters

My opinion, fwiw, is go down the second hand route.

Whilst the Himalayan looks to be an excellent bike, in all the reports I've watched and read, it's a bit gutless on the roads, if you're doing distances. If that doesn't bother you, then crack on.

It may be worth you looking at the comparison videos on YouTube. There's a chap, Nathan Millward who has done several excellent and lengthy reviews.

Only you can know which bike is for you. :thumb2

Would depend on what you intend to use it for ?

What made you consider the Enfield Himalayan in the first place and what sort of riding are you going to undertake?

I have one and love it. Done 1700 miles on it so far and i smile each time i ride it. Some bikes are having "issues" but they get sorted under warranty but,they are so simple that if you are handy with tools are easily fixed yourself. My bike will max out at a true 80mph. but will hold 70 all day if required but, it's really comfy at around 50 to 60. The handling is rock steady in the twisties at legal speeds as is the suspension. Being a long stroke engine it pulls really well and is a delight to plod along nice and easy. If anyone wants to discuss the Himalayan with me pm me and i'll pm you my phone number as i have recently had wrist surgery and i don't want to carry on typing :D

There are loads of videos on the bike and they generally come out in it's favour.

Look on utube for a woman adventure rider calling herself "Itchy boots" she is travelling the world on a Himalayan and does great videos.

Opinions please would you buy a new Enfield Himalayan or spend the same money on secondhand BMW f650gs/xtz 660 .

Not a Himalayan i know; but i had a little ride on my mates Enfield the other day; what a cracking bike; if the Himalayan is finished as well as the Interceptor; you should'nt have much to worry about.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190425-103325.jpg
    Screenshot_20190425-103325.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 321
I hear that the new 650 twin motor will be in a new Himalayan very soon. Should make it much more usable.

TBH idon't think that will happen as it's too big a lump to get into that frame but, i suppose there
may be a completely new bike; that's not going to happen soon though i reckon. If they did bring
a new one out with the twin in it i don't think i would want to change as the twin would be quite
a bit heavier (and more expensive) and it's the lighter weight, lower seat hight and price that
attracted me to the Himalayan. As far as the "useable" thing goes, the Himalayan is well useable
as it is and is getting into all areas of the world with a variety of riders very succesfully.
A bigger engine will of course improve the on road performance i have to agree and that's not
to be sniffed at but, in the end with the way speed limits are being rigerously policed (to raise revenue)
all over the world these days and limits being so low a bike that can keep 50 to 60 mph. comfortably
all day is, in effect, all that's necessary and can help keep you out of trouble.
Oh. yes, in addition to everything else, 70 to 80 mpg. is a bonus :D

TBH idon't think that will happen as it's too big a lump to get into that frame but, i suppose there
may be a completely new bike; that's not going to happen soon though i reckon. If they did bring
a new one out with the twin in it i don't think i would want to change as the twin would be quite
a bit heavier (and more expensive) and it's the lighter weight, lower seat hight and price that
attracted me to the Himalayan. As far as the "useable" thing goes, the Himalayan is well useable
as it is and is getting into all areas of the world with a variety of riders very succesfully.
A bigger engine will of course improve the on road performance i have to agree and that's not
to be sniffed at but, in the end with the way speed limits are being rigerously policed (to raise revenue)
all over the world these days and limits being so low a bike that can keep 50 to 60 mph. comfortably
all day is, in effect, all that's necessary and can help keep you out of trouble.
Oh. yes, in addition to everything else, 70 to 80 mpg. is a bonus :D

I've been really tempted by one of these for some time. I don't really need a high speed bike as I mainly plod around the B roads of Cumbria. Am just waiting to have a spare 4K available. I am determined to have an Enfield before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I got a demo bike and saved a lot of cash over a "new" bike and it had only done 45 miles of which i'd done 20 of them :)
There are a few coming on the used market now as there always is with bikes so some lower priced stuff around.
For what you are talking about Nige it is ideal and is what i primarily got it for. I just disapear up the narrowist gnarliest lanes
over the Welsh hills for fun as the bike is so much smaller and lighter than the GS which makes it less of a problem if i
meet up with a tractor or the like coming the other way so making for a more relaxed ride (for me anyhow). If i am on a
nice twisty A or B road i up the pace (if poss.) to the legal limit and it will easily keep that going and the handling makes
it a pleasure to do. Motorway? These days i only peg along at 65 70 even on the GS so the Himalayan is up for that too.
There is a facebook group which is very lively and full of very enthusiastic owners who are doing allsorts on and to
their bikes. You also see the the problems of course of which there are a few but, as i said previously they are easily fixed.
The only real gripe i have is that the front brake really is shite taking a really good squeeze to get any real retardation but hey
it does work and it's not going to embarrass anyone on the trails :) Rear brake is fine, thankfully. Gearbox is a gem with the
sweetest cog swapping you could want. I intend to do longer, further trips on it and i think i will love it tbh. Over the period i have
had it (6 months) i have had the GS out once (which is giving it a well earned rest) but have done 1700 miles on the RE.

It depends what you want it for. If you're going to be doing a lot of quick road work then the Himalayan could leave you frustrated for pace, but for anything else I'd take one over pretty much all of the 650s. I know it's an old style of bike the Himalayan but riding them back to back it felt to me like a much more thoroughly modern set up than the Tenere, certainly far less of a mass to haul around and I preferred the Enfield off road as well. Best bet is to go and ride one and see if you like it.

^ ^ ^

You know that bloke I said had done some good youtube reviews. That's him, right there! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom