Mugello moto gp trip route

samrossi46

Reaction score
Hi guys

4 of us have got a trip planned for the mugello moto gp and looking to draw on your wisdom

we are leaving notts sunday 26th may to stay overnight in dover , then catching the 7 oclock ferry monday morning and want to get to florence for friday 31st may (5 days to do the joutney there) , we are starting back home monday 3rd june to get the 4 oclock ferry friday on the 8th june so again we have 5 days to get to calais so a nice scenic route back would be nice

i have the nav 6 and cant get my thick head round basecamp so i wondered if any of you guys either have a route or could plot me a good route down via stelvio and the black forest and a route back ...

failing that if you could just give me towns etc to put straight into the sat nav ?

any help would be apreaciated

cheers for any input .... sam

Take my advice, go via chunnel and stay at Ibis on the other side, then straight away next morning, trains run every 15 minutes, 30 minutes on train and 1 mile to ibis, bikes safe by police compound.
Digs in Dover are shitty and expensive compared with Ibis, and bikes at risk.

Ged

we have booked the premier inn near dover , thats the only digs we have booked and the ferry ... its the route that im after thats all .. but i will take your advise on ibis for next time cheers guys

Make sure you have a map to avoid incurring the wrath that is surely coming your way.

If nothing else put the few things you know into Google maps, decide on your daily mileage, remembering riding in the mountainous areas it will be much less than you expect. Do you want to gun it down to the nice bits ?

I’ve probably said to much already and Wapping will be along....

Enjoy

OK:

Monday - head for Albertville and stay the night (there are cheap hotels in town with underground secure parking) or go up the D925 (heading for the RdGA) and stop just before Beaufort (good hotel on your left) in in the town itself.

Tuesday - ride the RdGA and stop wherever you fancy (I usually ride it to Jausiers and then turn towards Isola and Italy and stay in Barolo).

Wednesday - Meander north-east through Italy and stop when you think it's beer time (perhaps at a lake (Iseo is nice with hotels right at the water's edge)

Thursday - ride east and go around Lake Garda (west to north and then south) and stop somewhere nice.

Friday - free tour of the Ducati factory (you'll have to park across the road if you're not riding a Duke) and don't miss the museum. Some great cross-country routes from Bologna to Mugello and on to Florence (Scarperia, near the circuit, is gorgeous).

Monday (on the way home) - visit Tavullia for a pizza lunch. (It'll be quieter than on the Friday before the race).

Then head for the Stelvio (if you must) and meander back home any route.

You should check out the ride mag routes. They are written in GPX file . Plug and play to your nav. It won’t obviously have a door to door route. But it will give you a great idea of where to go.
Late May your going ? This your first euro jaunt ? Have a great time , Check the passes are open. Stelvio ,furka, grimsel, sometimes June before they open up.

The ride mag app has lots of info about the mugello circuit , we’re to watch were to stay etc , very helpful

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride-guide-to-the-alps

You should check out the ride mag routes. They are written in GPX file . Plug and play to your nav. It won’t obviously have a door to door route. But it will give you a great idea of where to go.
Late May your going ? This your first euro jaunt ? Have a great time , Check the passes are open. Stelvio ,furka, grimsel, sometimes June before they open up.

The ride mag app has lots of info about the mugello circuit , we’re to watch were to stay etc , very helpful

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride-guide-to-the-alps

Good point - I forgot that the Col d'Iseran doesn't open until after Mugello! :blast:blast

4 of us have got a trip planned for the mugello moto gp....

we are leaving...

cheers for any input ....

Calais to Mugello (direct) is 1,400 kms one way. You want to detour via two spots and want scenic routes. Let’s guess that is at least 3,000 kms (1,800 miles) that’s a lot of scenic you are asking for.

1. Get one of the other three to work it out. Better still, sit down with them (even by email) and do it between you all. You know you and I guess you know them, which all helps.

2. RiDE magazine has pre-made suggestions as to how to get to some of the well known / popular European race circuits and locations like the Black Forest and the Dolomites / Alps. UKGSer alone has several threads on how to get to / from the Black Forest via Calais and several about the must do locations, like the Stelvio. For example:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/191628-Advice-please-France-Italy-Stelvio-Pass

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/349423-Route-to-black-Forrest

3. Go to the excellent Kurviger website. It requires nothing more that you putting in the start and end points and then choosing whether you want to include motorways or to hit the goat tracks *

You can download the routes (see the GPS section) or zoom in to pick towns along Kurviger’s blue line to simply then put into your GPS device, which will do the rest. Don’t forget that if you chose the middle of a town / city as your destination, the device will - without a doubt - take you there, even if you’d be better off just passing it by, on the ring road for example.

4. Get a map

5. Treat it as an imaginative adventure (with a small a) for Adventure (with a capital A) bike riding mates. Once you’ve done it once, you’ll never look back

* From the middle of a field in Hertfordshire on an iPhone. It really is that easy:

553b5d8b2215e42ea6faffb15633f81e.jpg

You could do the same thing by using the ViaMichelin app, then compare it with Kurviger’s offering.

a87e9248f5adcab6e74caeaff01b859a.jpg

The great thing is that by zooming in you get the Michelin maps for free. Don’t though forget that you probably won’t have your PC on your journey, so do at least write the route down.

834787e2a6026037c69f452ef646ee62.jpg

Either route 1 or route 3 will do you. Zoom in and look where they go. Two useful tips:

1. On zooming in, if you see that the map becomes very congested with motorways, it’s probably best to take one of the motorways. Buggering about on the lesser roads will probably do you no favours. The locals spent millions of pounds and lots of effort making those roads for a purpose.

2. The danger of just pumping the town into your sat nav is that it will drag you into the town centre. At somewhere like Nancy this is sometimes a bad idea as the town is a grind to get through.

PS Check nearer the time that the Stelvio is open on the day in May / early June that you plan to be there.

https://www.stelvio.net/english/webcam/

https://www.bormio.eu/en/category/about-2/status-of-passes/

One last tip. Just putting the key destinations (perhaps in the order Calais > Mugello > Stelvio > Black Forest > Calais) into Google maps and asking it to avoid say toll roads will give you an idea. Do though take a bit of care as Google maps operate in real time; if the Stelvio is shut today it will route you away from it. Useless if it’s then open in late May or early June.

One last tip. Just putting the key destinations (perhaps in the order Calais > Mugello > Stelvio > Black Forest > Calais) into Google maps and asking it to avoid say toll roads will give you an idea. Do though take a bit of care as Google maps operate in real time; if the Stelvio is shut today it will route you away from it. Useless if it’s then open in late May or early June.

'So', he'd be better to use Kurviger or Michelin in that case.

'So', he'd be better to use Kurviger or Michelin in that case.

Indeed. Using several of the different free routing software tools will give him so pretty good ideas on the direction(s) his journey needs to take him. It’s how he then mixes them together and then loads them into his GPS device then holds the next challenge. If he just puts in the town names and then uses the device’s preference settings, it may well result in taking very different roads and right into the town centres. See several threads where bods moan about the latter, telling everyone that might listen that the device is shite.... despite it taking them exactly where the owner asked it to take them.

Rather than give him the road by road or even town by town directions, I am trying to encourage the OP and his three mates to start his / their own planning. Not least, doing so will give him / them a good idea on where he is going if things go awry. From other threads he’s only ever followed a leader to other of the large Moto GP sites, which is fine. He now has a great chance to lead his own, employing the same sort of ideas / experiences that he enjoyed on his other trips.

Indeed. Using several of the different free routing software tools will give him so pretty good ideas on the direction(s) his journey needs to take him. It’s how he then mixes them together and then loads them into his GPS device then holds the next challenge. If he just puts in the town names and then uses the device’s preference settings, it may well result in taking very different roads and right into the town centres. See several threads where bods moan about the latter, telling everyone that might listen that the device is shite.... despite it taking them exactly where the owner asked it to take them.

Rather than give him the road by road or even town by town directions, I am trying to encourage the OP and his three mates to start his / their own planning. Not least, doing so will give him / them a good idea on where he is going if things go awry. From other threads he’s only ever followed a leader to other of the large Moto GP sites, which is fine. He now has a great chance to lead his own, employing the same sort of ideas / experiences that he enjoyed on his other trips.

Agreed.

With Kurviger the only addition I'd like to see is the "rubber band" option ala Google and Basecamp.
One day, perhaps. :beerjug::beerjug::thumby::thumby:

Agreed.

With Kurviger the only addition I'd like to see is the "rubber band" option ala Google and Basecamp.
One day, perhaps. :beerjug::beerjug::thumby::thumby:

It would be a useful option but would perhaps defeat the core purpose of Kurviger. The Kurviger app is designed primarily to answer the well worn plea of “Tell me how to go A to B (or A to B to C to D....) twisty roads, no motorways”. This it will do remarkably well, giving four levels of road routing between taking motorways right through to taking goat tracks. The user needs to do nothing more, his question has been answered.

To use a rubber band method to then move the route requires that the user knows what alternative roads he’d rather take; which he doesn’t.

It would be a useful option but would perhaps defeat the core purpose of Kurviger. The Kurviger app is designed primarily to answer the well worn plea of “Tell me how to go A to B (or A to B to C to D....) twisty roads, no motorways”. This it will do remarkably well, giving four levels of road routing between taking motorways right through to taking goat tracks. The user needs to do nothing more, his question has been answered.

To use a rubber band method to then move the route requires that the user knows what alternative roads he’d rather take; which he doesn’t.

Some of us do; you and me for starters!

I thought we'd have received some feedback from the OP by this time.

I thought we'd have received some feedback from the OP by this time.

As it's lunchtime and I'm no longer in the middle of a field, I thought I'd spend 10 minutes looking at the Kurviger route, Calais > Stelvio > Mugello > Black Forest > Calais, with the website set to the third setting (Curvy route but avoiding cities and highways) and then chosing the Top Plus map overlay, via the sort of layed cake box thing in the top righthand corner of the map. This is about as close to the equivalent of a Michelin style map Kurviger provides.

It looks OK; definitely easy enough to do. Not suprisisingly, the outward and return routes are near enough along the same line, the curvy route algorithm for Calais to Mugello being much the same as the algorithm for Mugello to Calais, the only diferences being the slight detour to the Stelvio (I have put it on on the way down) and to the Black Forest on the way back.

But not entirely happy (and as it's impossible to break anything and it's free) I then mucked about a bit.

I changed the Kurviger curvy route to go: Calais > Mugello > Stelvio > Black Forest > Calais. This put the detours to Stelvio and the Black Forest both onto the return route, not one on the way down and the other on the way back. Again, not surprisingly, this changed what was near enough a single line into something maybe more interesting.

Calais to Mugello is a quite nice line that now goes roughly (the towns are close to the route, so used to identify only): Amiens, Troyes, Dijon, Besancon, Geneva, Turin, Mugello. It's the way I'd go if my intention was to go from Calais, as it is direct enough to do in a sensible timeframe (the intention being to watch a Moto GP after all) and leave enough flexibilty to pick up motorways if I was short of time or the weather was really dire. That being said, there is often far more mind numbing spray on a motorway in heavy rain than there is on a decent N or D road.

The way back, Mugello > Stelvio (assuming it's open) > Black Forest (whatever that means, as it's a huge area) > Calais is OK. It goes roughly: Mugello, Modena, Verona, Davos (the home of the world's cheapest coffee *), Schaffhausen (stop off for the Rhine Falls, perhaps?) Freiburg-im-Briesgau, Metz, St Quentin, Calais.

As Kurviger will easily deal with circular routes, the OP can do exactly the same thing in Kurviger with no problem, displaying them on one map. Zoom in and out. Use a bit of imagination and then work out how to get it from there on to a GPS device. My suggestion on the latter, do not even think of doing it as one single 2,000 mile route! Break it up into sensible daily stages, one stage for each day of your time away. Go to the GPS section if you get stuck! Am I going to recommend how to break-up two thousand miles into days and find a hotel at the end of each? No.

The more I look at Kurviger, the better it works. Is it perfect? No. Do the routes it throws up need checking, particularly if it's intended to load them into a GPS device or if the rider really does not need every twist and turn A to B? Yes, very probably.

Looking at this entire thread, it shows why 'rip-off' tour guide companies charge 'rip-off' prices to guide bods on motorbikes over 2,000 miles from Calais to Mugello and back, along interesting routes. If you are going to do it properly, then it's not easy, not least as they do don't know anything about a customer's expectations, riding abilities and whether they like five star accommodation or Formula 1. It takes time and effort, two qualities that many people are apparently short of (or are keen to avoid) hence the "Me and my mates want to go down windy roads for two thousand miles.... and we leave at...." The internet and GPS devices are supposed to have made things easier. To a very large degree they have made it too easy, as all someone has to do is type, "Me and my mates....". At the same time it seems (to some at least) to have made it incredibly hard, because they do not try. The world survived and thrived before UKGSer and GPS devices, as we all bought a map and used our imagination. Imagination is a powerful tool, give it a go; it's free at least.

Await the OP's words.....

* I lied about that bit. It's bloody expensive!

hi guys
that is fantastic info and i really appreciate your input , i have done a few trips in the past to monza cattalunya with the guys ... and in 2017 i did misano with just me and the daughter on the back which took me from calais to belgium luxembourg through the black forest lichtenstein switzerland and down into italy , i just put a destination in and let the nav do the work , im happy to take your recommendations rather than second guessin ,.. would you recommend crunching some miles to get into them there hills the first day ?

Back
Top Bottom