Slovenia.......hints and tips...

If you are not camping have a look at Pri Marku Tourist Farm, Grngrob, Slovinia. Not far from Lake Bled. Family hotel run by lovely people, good food and reasonable prices.

On your way into Bled coming from Kranjska Gora on the 201, take a wee detour to Slap Peričnik, a really incredible waterfall. It's only a 10min spin from the 201 and well worth a visit. We spent over an hour here just walking around and admiring the place. Last section of the road to the waterfall is unpaved, but its hardcore gravel which is perfectly rideable, even 2up. :thumb2

Few pics/vids of it here - https://hatchoseurotrip2018.blogspot.com/2018/10/day-8-sonnenalpe-nassfeld-to-bled-175km.html

Hi Gerard,
We will be staying in Postojna and Ljubljana this year on our way to/from the Croatian Islands.

When we first visited Slovenia in 2011 we stayed in Bled - it's beautiful, but very touristy/busy - but we found the road from Bled to the west up to Lake Bohinj - only 15 miles or so, but lovely scenic road and great swimming (if that's your thing!) in the lake.
Also, at the far end of the lake you can walk up to the waterfall Slap Savica - worth the effort.
The lake is in the middle of the Triglavski National Park so is surrounded on 3 sides by stunning mountains.
Next time we were in Slovenia we stayed in Stara Fuzina, a small traditional village near to Lake Bohinj.
The Mangart road is well worth the effort - first time we tried it we found out it was still closed with snow short of the top:blast - we found out later Jockser of this parish had also tried it that same day. Next time we made it - on a beautiful day.
If your at Mangart Road you'll probably do the Sella Predil which has an old fortress at the top of the pass. On the north side of the pass is the stunning Lago de Predil which has a nice beach and you can swim in the "refreshing" water.

Lots of great roads as mentioned by others - like the Vrsic etc......................ENJOY:thumb

Pics..........Mangart closed, Lake bohinj, Mangart open, Lago de Predil

Cheers........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Looks lovely!

We are heading over for an overnight stop on our trip this year, this thread has given me some great direction, thanks folks.

Been down that way a couple of times, and both were enjoyable.

The roads through Triglav National Park were entertaining. As the photo shows, perfect tarmac on the way to the hairpin bends, then on each bend....

or even

Attachments

• DSCN0079.jpg
    DSCN0079.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 278
I think Lake Bohinj is lovelier than Bled; undeveloped, pristine, good for a swim, forest twisties on the way.
If you're into WW1 there a great little museum in Kobarid. I knew nothing about the war in the Alps.
The Triglav Park route from Kranska Gora (Sp?) is a must.
Wish I'd know about the caves.

Happy memories of staying with John and Roz at the Hochalm.

I'm late to the party, everyone has pretty much nailed it :thumb

Ljubljana is a gem of a small city and not to be missed. Some nice places to have a beer!

Depending on your route in, I've enjoyed taking the Plocken Pass a number of times and crossing from Italy to Slovenia using the road from Resiutta to Uccea which joins up with the Slovenian Route 401 near Bovec. The Plocken routes in nicely from the Grossglockner, if that's yer bag :thumb

Just a thought:rolleyes: - but should this thread not be in the "Balkans" section rather than the "Baltic" section???

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beerjug:

The Predjama Castle is also worth a visit.

Attachments

• cropped-predjamski-grad-1-of-1.jpg
    cropped-predjamski-grad-1-of-1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 299
Just a thought:rolleyes: - but should this thread not be in the "Balkans" section rather than the "Baltic" section???

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beerjug:

You are absolutely right!

Did you work out who was the loony in the landrover honking you in Blair the other day!

I don't remember anyone honking at me:rob Was I on the GS or S10? - I did fill up at Tesco in Blair a couple of weeks ago:confused: - are you sure it was me?

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

You are absolutely right!

Did you work out who was the loony in the landrover honking you in Blair the other day!

I don't remember anyone honking at me:rob Was I on the GS or S10? - I did fill up at Tesco in Blair a couple of weeks ago:confused: - are you sure it was me?

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

Stopped in the car park on the A93 by where the cheese shop used to be? Sure it was you.....

still have my gpx routes from last year, we were a bit unlucky with the weather the rain was biblical, pm me if you want routes, we stopped over at Hochalmspitze on the way down and back.

This might be of interest perhaps:

http://finestayslovenia.com/whattodo/motorcycling/

The routes in the website used to be published into a PDF but it’s no longer available.

Here are some screenshots from a copy I saved to iBooks:

cf6bffa3811b4ddeef79360c987781d8.jpg

d43fc962fee0ec89c393a9de7b8b410a.jpg

b3d094141bebc35f97f2025dd5bb6851.jpg

02f6930e380c95648e62cb471d00f2b1.jpg

f31d8634a0424ba05158ea1c063309d6.jpg

b66604e65f6dc98557200478996b440b.jpg

e9ec077b1a8ff23c186fe3d6d9b528bc.jpg

And a print of the map:

3865b2c7786fb533297b1e555582317e.jpg

This old thread might be useful, too:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-Betten-books-French-Alps-Slovenia-amp-Istria

Thanks all....some terrific ideas here, some of which I'd already got; some not so. We did have a run to Loch Bled a while back from Malta, so not complete virgins.

It will be a change for our gang....we've been to France for the past few years so were probably getting boring. It was the thought of the drag through Germany, much of it by necessity on motorway that was putting me off, but now outweighed by the dreadful French 50 limit.

Ta...got vignettes for Austria and tunnels; we can get to hotel from Karawanken without motorways so we'll get Slovenian ones after arrival....they wouldn't last long enough if we get them on the way in.

The Logar Valley is beautiful, we stayed at the Hotel Plesnik Logarska Dolina
Plesnik.jpg

Back
Top Bottom