Slovenia.......hints and tips...

gerarddwatts

huge member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having a trip to Slovenia by way of change this year.

I've got Bled, Mangart, Soca valley, Piran/Adriatic, Lipica/horses, caves on the list, as well as Ljubliana.

Any other must sees?

ta

Don't take the tunnel from Villach - go over the top

Approach the Soca Valley from Italy via the Passo di Predil

Drink their wine

Having a trip to Slovenia by way of change this year.

I've got Bled, Mangart, Soca valley, Piran/Adriatic, Lipica/horses, caves on the list, as well as Ljubliana.

Any other must sees?

ta

There's a WW2 Partisan Resistance Hospital up in a wood/caves which Micky and myself had a mooch around, some 10 years back

See if I can locate it, worth a look

This is it - the Fanja

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/slovenia/articles/a-brief-history-of-franja-partisan-hospital/

Also take the dirt back roads from Kranska Gora to Bled, worth doing and keeps off the busy tourist tarmac routes - lots of military sites and memorials that nobody sees

Seek out the George Best tribute bar in Bled, near the castle and tucked away beside the YHA - all locals frequent it and off the tourist drag

There's a WW2 Partisan Resistance Hospital up in a wood/caves which Micky and myself had a mooch around, some 10 years back

See if I can locate it, worth a look

This is it - the Fanja

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/slovenia/articles/a-brief-history-of-franja-partisan-hospital/

Also take the dirt back roads from Kranska Gora to Bled, worth doing and keeps off the busy tourist tarmac routes - lots of military sites and memorials that nobody sees

Seek out the George Best tribute bar in Bled, near the castle and tucked away beside the YHA - all locals frequent it and off the tourist drag

What he says :thumb2

Great trip JB :thumb2

:beerjug:

Radovljica, a few minutes from Bled. Don't forget the Gingerbread museum:)

Stayed in Hotel Piran in err Piran. Recommended:thumb2 Watch out for parking as strictly speaking the centre is for residents only and most people park just out of town. Hotel above runs a shuttle service from carpark (safe enough). If you're lucky you may find a space in the (tiny) town or hotel for a bike but as always, take local advice otherwise 40E fine. Excellent seafood btw.

If you do fancy popping across the border to Croatia recommend Rovinj, 50 mileish.

Enjoy, beautiful country.

Radovljica, a few minutes from Bled. Don't forget the Gingerbread museum:)

Stayed in Hotel Piran in err Piran. Recommended:thumb2 Watch out for parking as strictly speaking the centre is for residents only and most people park just out of town. Hotel above runs a shuttle service from carpark (safe enough). If you're lucky you may find a space in the (tiny) town or hotel for a bike but as always, take local advice otherwise 40E fine. Excellent seafood btw.

If you do fancy popping across the border to Croatia recommend Rovinj, 50 mileish.

Enjoy, beautiful country.

Stayed at Hotel Piran too
Lovely beachside town

Heading back over there later this year too so I'll follow this thread :thumb2

Good rides out on the interior of the Istrian Peninsula of Croatia if staying in Piran area, as border is only 15 mins away

Didn’t Henry Cole (not everyone’s cup of tea) do a ride to Slovenia?

Didn’t Henry Cole (not everyone’s cup of tea) do a ride to Slovenia?

Apparently so....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r-3eV2gBVXw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On your way down to Slovenia it's worth a stop over at Faaker See, Austria on the border of Slovenia.
There's loads of hotels and campsites. We camped at the Anderwald site, it's only about 30 miles north of Lake Bled.
We did four days there, and I remember riding down to Lake Bled for lunch. Excellent, you'll love it.

Hi Gerard,
We will be staying in Postojna and Ljubljana this year on our way to/from the Croatian Islands.

When we first visited Slovenia in 2011 we stayed in Bled - it's beautiful, but very touristy/busy - but we found the road from Bled to the west up to Lake Bohinj - only 15 miles or so, but lovely scenic road and great swimming (if that's your thing!) in the lake.
Also, at the far end of the lake you can walk up to the waterfall Slap Savica - worth the effort.
The lake is in the middle of the Triglavski National Park so is surrounded on 3 sides by stunning mountains.
Next time we were in Slovenia we stayed in Stara Fuzina, a small traditional village near to Lake Bohinj.
The Mangart road is well worth the effort - first time we tried it we found out it was still closed with snow short of the top:blast - we found out later Jockser of this parish had also tried it that same day. Next time we made it - on a beautiful day.
If your at Mangart Road you'll probably do the Sella Predil which has an old fortress at the top of the pass. On the north side of the pass is the stunning Lago de Predil which has a nice beach and you can swim in the "refreshing" water.

Lots of great roads as mentioned by others - like the Vrsic etc......................ENJOY:thumb

Pics..........Mangart closed, Lake bohinj, Mangart open, Lago de Predil

Cheers........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_3952_1.JPG
    IMG_3952_1.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0656_1.JPG
    IMG_0656_1.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0486_1.JPG
    IMG_0486_1.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 331