Which Garmin for brightness, large screen and Mapsource compatibility?

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
I've fallen behind in knowledge of what's out there and would appreciate some pointers.

I currently have a Zümo 660 but find the screen is hard to read in bright sunlight (Morocco, Spain) and I could do with a larger screen. I believe the 660 is 4.3".

I'm only interested in Garmin (and not the BMW-badged variants). I cannot get to grips with Basecamp so it MUST support Mapsource.

I want to be able to load additional map sets, hold up to 20 routes, 500 waypoints, able to store multi-day tracklogs, battery for off-bike route planning, obviously waterproof with motorcycle mount plus ideally car mount. Don't particularly care about music.

I believe the Garmin Zümo 595, Garmin Montana and Garmin GPSmap 276Cx all have a 5" screen. Do these meet my criteria and are there others I should be considering?

Zumo 590 appears to have a bright screen, but the biggest influencing factors in screen issues (apart from bright sun) are:

Lack of visor for the unit
Dayglow jacket and angle of the screen (combination or just the angle)

Agreed!
A visor can & will make a huge difference (all things being equal).

Tim,

I know you said "not the BMW branded ones" but the Nav6's main distinction when compared to standard Garmin is that BMW specified a better screen.

The brightness and sharpness is quite an improvement over the equivalent Garmin OE version.

I bought the BMW one for that reason alone (and used it on a non-BMW bike for quite some time).

Might be worth looking at them side-by-side if you can before you decide where to invest your hard earned...

Tim,

I was looking to move from my old 660 and (if memory serves) the option was a 395 (or maybe the 396)?

But there is now a 595 which talks about have a clearer and brighter screen, so maybe this one is the right one to compare with the Nav 6 now?

I googled Garmin Zumo 595 vs BMW Nav VI and got lots of results (example: https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-595lm-or-bmw-nav-6.1277122/) and people still seem to be saying the the BMW hardware includes a better screen...

Tim,

I was looking to move from my old 660 and (if memory serves) the option was a 395 (or maybe the 396)?

But there is now a 595 which talks about have a clearer and brighter screen, so maybe this one is the right one to compare with the Nav 6 now?

I googled Garmin Zumo 595 vs BMW Nav VI and got lots of results (example: https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-595lm-or-bmw-nav-6.1277122/) and people still seem to be saying the the BMW hardware includes a better screen...

I had a 590 and changed to a NAV VI simply to get a better screen (I am also non BMW) very pleased, it still experiences reflections somewhat but is undoubtedly a much clearer and sharper screen.

I've bought a Garmin 396 and I did my first 'test' route 100 miles round warwickshire/oxfords this morning. What I miss (compared with my 'antique' Quest), is that this new unit doesn't seem to give the zoomed in view of upcoming turns and junctions. I loved that feature on the quest as it warned you (approx 30 secs or so) before your next turn. The fact that it was a zoomed in view, was great for those like me, with poor near eyesight. Anyway... I can't seem to find any option to make the new Zumo 396 do this. Is there a way? Also, it was a bright day today, and I have to say the screen is not very clear, in fact practically invisble at some sun angles.... are hoods/cowls available for zumos?

Will

I've bought a Garmin 396 and I did my first 'test' route 100 miles round warwickshire/oxfords this morning. What I miss (compared with my 'antique' Quest), is that this new unit doesn't seem to give the zoomed in view of upcoming turns and junctions. I loved that feature on the quest as it warned you (approx 30 secs or so) before your next turn. The fact that it was a zoomed in view, was great for those like me, with poor near eyesight. Anyway... I can't seem to find any option to make the new Zumo 396 do this. Is there a way? Also, it was a bright day today, and I have to say the screen is not very clear, in fact practically invisble at some sun angles.... are hoods/cowls available for zumos?

Will

You should be able to change to 'auto-zoom' in the settings (preferences?) have a look

Back
Top Bottom