Le Bas Chesnay, Domfront, Normandy

After having Bob here during a very warm spell. We have now added a drinks fridge to the Snug lounge.

Attachments

• C80D35E3-ADC3-4E84-A839-96143A383341.jpg
    C80D35E3-ADC3-4E84-A839-96143A383341.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 137
Preparing the gite today for a last minute booking for the Christmas period. Ensuring the gite is warm and cosy for the guests.

Attachments

• 2CACF552-8843-44AB-8003-E7206F82E6B4.jpg
    2CACF552-8843-44AB-8003-E7206F82E6B4.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 105
Hi folks

We are still taking bookings for this year. If you fancy staying in a biker friendly location in Normandie.

And I can thoroughly recommend this place, I’ve stayed there 3 times and could not have wished for better hospitality.

Back there again in June.

Just to mention that I enjoyed a fantastic few days here at the end of last month.

Paul & Jean are wonderful hosts and it’s just a delightful place to stay as a base for touring the local area, I’ll be back asap.

Attachments

• IMG_6396.jpeg
    IMG_6396.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6395.jpeg
    IMG_6395.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6403.jpeg
    IMG_6403.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 21
  • CF34F35A-2585-4E2D-815E-476E0763FE76.jpeg
    CF34F35A-2585-4E2D-815E-476E0763FE76.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 21
Just came across this, I thought France had very little offroad.

Only issue is post brexit you cannot just put a bike in a van and transport it - well you can, but have to hope customs don't spot it.

Just came across this, I thought France had very little offroad.

Only issue is post brexit you cannot just put a bike in a van and transport it - well you can, but have to hope customs don't spot it.

Absolute bollox on 2 counts

France has more off-road riding than we do
You can take your bike in a van, just the same as you can do by riding it through border control
You just carry the same vehicle documents you take for the van, as your bike ….as your bike will need to registered and insured to ride the public trails that are unsurfaced
You can also take unregistered bikes to an event you are competing in, as the French or Spanish organisers issue you with an entry confirmation and our ACU issue a statement letter for you to take also

People have been taking track bikes, in vans without issues, for 2-3 years

It’s statements like yours, which are totally without any factual substance….that spread misinformation

Last edited:
The off road/Chemin riding around here is virtually non stop. Minimal roadwork and you see hardly anyone out on the lanes.

No visitors since Brexit have had any issues with bikes on trailers or in vans. Who have been coming here.

As pointed out you carry all the documents with you which is a requirement in France.

The off road/Chemin riding around here is virtually non stop. Minimal roadwork and you see hardly anyone out on the lanes.

No visitors since Brexit have had any issues with bikes on trailers or in vans. Who have been coming here.

As pointed out you carry all the documents with you which is a requirement in France.

Thanks Paul, for also clearing up that misinformation too
I will check out your place in detail, for a bit of trail riding
Sounds ideal and not too far from the French ferry port either - do you get people for long weekends of trail riding?

Certainly off-road riding is popular in France.

Rasher is right though in that the regulations vis-a-vis the temporary importation of vehicles (in this example, off-road bikes in a van or on a trailer) changed post-Brexit.

Of course:

a. The chances of being pulled over are low.

b. If the driver / occupants of the pulling vehicle have their original V5 documents (along with insurance and driving licences, which they’ll need anyway) and at least sound as if their reason for crossing over is legitimate, then there is a very good chance that the customs authorities will take no further action, nor delay the person(s) progress too long. Wind up the local customs man with ‘smart Alec’ backchat or sulky strops and it might be different. But hey, that’s life.

That thought is not to say that the post-Brexit regulations have vanished. For race teams (taking 10’s or 100’s of thousands or maybe millions of pounds worth of kit) it is different again, as it is for hauliers of vehicles who offer the A to B shuttle runs.

Certainly off-road riding is popular in France.

Rasher is right though in that the regulations vis-a-vis the temporary importation of vehicles (in this example, off-road bikes in a van or on a trailer) changed post-Brexit.

Of course:

a. The chances of being pulled over are low.

b. If the driver / occupants of the pulling vehicle have their original V5 documents (along with insurance and driving licences, which they’ll need anyway) and at least sound as if their reason for crossing over is legitimate, then there is a very good chance that the customs authorities will take no further action, nor delay the person(s) progress too long. Wind up the local customs man with ‘smart Alec’ backchat or sulky strops and it might be different. But hey, that’s life.

That thought is not to say that the post-Brexit regulations have vanished. For race teams (taking 10’s or 100’s of thousands or maybe millions of pounds worth of kit) it is different again, as it is for hauliers of vehicles who offer the A to B shuttle runs.

I covered that more succinctly in post #50

It’s a non issue nowadays and I know people who take registered and non registered bikes in vans into Europe, weekly without issue, all the organising clubs, federations and the like are up to speed with the Border movement processes of regular vehicles and competition machinery

I could add the same succinct two words to your comment in the XT section :augie

Now, play nicely in the Travel section, or it’ll get moved to the pub.

:beerjug:

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, for also clearing up that misinformation too
I will check out your place in detail, for a bit of trail riding
Sounds ideal and not too far from the French ferry port either - do you get people for long weekends of trail riding?
Recently I posted up available dates on the main TRF Facebook page. As up to now it has mostly been Hertfordshire TRF riders coming over to ride the lanes.

Customs always look in our vans , whatever is inside it. It seems more to check if you have additional people inside. Just the same for roof boxes and motorhomes.

Recently I posted up available dates on the main TRF Facebook page. As up to now it has mostly been Hertfordshire TRF riders coming over to ride the lanes.

Customs always look in our vans , whatever is inside it. It seems more to check if you have additional people inside. Just the same for roof boxes and motorhomes.

Thanks for the heads up
I will see what the craic is for September or October and maybe get across this year
Be good to ride in Normandy

+1 for the Domfront area. I have cycled here a few times - much of the area to the east of Domfront is national park, really pretty and well worth a visit as it's so accessible esp. from the Normandy ports.

Thanks for all the comments and follow up posts.

Mountain bikers are ok to ride the main forest, but not motorbikes. However there are more than enough woodland trails around the area.

With regards to mountain biking we have an annual event over 36 hours when you can ride up to 360km. Around the Domfront area. Routes and refreshments supplied throughout the day and evening.

Only dates really available at the moment is 7-14 October. Can be in the gite or B&B. Up to 4 riders in total.

Mountain bikers are ok to ride the main forest, but not motorbikes…..

That explains the position much better, just in case anyone gets the impression that it’s a free for all, off-road in France.

Whilst off-roading is popular in France, large areas are often closed to all motor vehicles, particularly in high summer and / or when there is a heightened fire risk. As with speeding on the highway, don’t assume that it’s OK, just because it’s foreign.

Back
Top Bottom