Nordkapp

Swell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m planning a ride to Nordkapp next Jul/Aug. I’m planning to go through Denmark, Sweden then Norway and circle round the top before passing back into Sweden for the ride south back to Denmark. Has anyone got any experience of such a ride and if so are there regular campsites throughout Sweden’s Baltic coast and North Norway. I’ve read there’s no problem wild camping but I’d like to have the option to stay on a site if possible. Thanks in advance.

Hi there. You will find many camping sites along the Swedish coast.
Wild camping is also absolutely legal. Hotel in Sweden is really expensive.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I’m planning a ride to Nordkapp next Jul/Aug. I’m planning to go through Denmark, Sweden then Norway and circle round the top before passing back into Sweden for the ride south back to Denmark. Has anyone got any experience of such a ride and if so are there regular campsites throughout Sweden’s Baltic coast and North Norway. I’ve read there’s no problem wild camping but I’d like to have the option to stay on a site if possible. Thanks in advance.
Been to the " Kapp" a few times , no issue finding campsites in Northern Norway ,,,

And those glorified sheds/adult Wendy Houses :D
True , and on more than one occasion when it has been seriously inclement :D I have been delighted to retain the use of said Wendy house. :thumb2

Did it in 2017, going up again this year but only as far as Lofoten. No problem finding camp sites or hyttes.

True , and on more than one occasion when it has been seriously inclement :D I have been delighted to retain the use of said Wendy house. :thumb2

I loved them, especially the ones where you had to change current Kroner coins for older ones as the showers hadn't been updated. And such variety between them

This is the route i and others took in 2018. Up the west side then on to the top coming back down and on to the Lofoten Islands and
then across to Sweden eventually coming back over the Oresund bridge and tunnel. It took us 21 days. We mainly camped but did use
the Hyttes a few times which were brilliant. I had the app. Norkamp on my phone and along with our sat nav suggestions and Archies
we never had a problem finding a camp site when we were ready to knock off for the day. A tip to remember is to try and negotiate the
price of the Hyttes especially if you are turning up late and they have empty ones they are unlikely to fill.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 982
  • Screenshot (3).jpg
    Screenshot (3).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 937
  • Screenshot (4).jpg
    Screenshot (4).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 964
  • Screenshot (5).jpg
    Screenshot (5).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 983
  • Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 984
More screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).jpg
    Screenshot (7).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 991
  • Screenshot (8).jpg
    Screenshot (8).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 970
  • Screenshot (9).jpg
    Screenshot (9).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 946
  • Screenshot (10).jpg
    Screenshot (10).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 992
  • Screenshot (11).jpg
    Screenshot (11).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 957
Good luck to you all & don't forget the fly nets & insect repellent.

I've always enjoyed Sweden, particularly the relaxed lifestyle down south; Norway not so much as progress can be slow, living expensive & to cap it all, the weather was plain evil last time we were there. I have to say though, I really wouldn't relish the flog up to the Nordkapp & back; I know it's on many a biker's bucket list, but it's an effort v reward thing . Probably just me though - maybe I need to be enlightened by one of you regulars.

Suppose it's just what you enjoy doing --- or not ,, i have been to " top" 4 times and enjoy the constantly changing scenery in Norway .
Sweden / Finland to me is just a memory of well surfaced road inside millions of pine trees .

Suppose it's just what you enjoy doing --- or not ,, i have been to " top" 4 times and enjoy the constantly changing scenery in Norway .
Sweden / Finland to me is just a memory of well surfaced road inside millions of pine trees .

have to agree with that, I lived in Norway and always found driving there way more interesting than sweden or finland I found much of them just flat boring and all the same, nice people but boring driving.

During my youth I completed 6 winters in Norway, one as far north as Alta. The roads at that time of year are impassable unless you ha e studded tyres or you’re driving a tracked vehicle. I’d like to visit some of the places I saw In the depths of winter, when the snow has gone, there’s more than 5 hours of daylight/day and the temperature’s are well above the -30 I regularly encountered. I’ll be meeting up with a good mate in Copenhagen who has a limited time off so a route through Sweden will be quicker than going through Norway the whole way. I’ll pack a tent but, since both of us suffer from musculoskeletal issues I expect the garden sheds with beds will be used more often than not. The plans are at an advanced stage and all that’s left is a 3-4 day recce via Copenhagen and Stockholm later this year.
Many thanks for all the advise.

During my youth I completed 6 winters in Norway, one as far north as Alta. The roads at that time of year are impassable unless you ha e studded tyres or you’re driving a tracked vehicle. I’d like to visit some of the places I saw In the depths of winter, when the snow has gone, there’s more than 5 hours of daylight/day and the temperature’s are well above the -30 I regularly encountered. I’ll be meeting up with a good mate in Copenhagen who has a limited time off so a route through Sweden will be quicker than going through Norway the whole way. I’ll pack a tent but, since both of us suffer from musculoskeletal issues I expect the garden sheds with beds will be used more often than not. The plans are at an advanced stage and all that’s left is a 3-4 day recce via Copenhagen and Stockholm later this year.
Many thanks for all the advise.

When we went we crossed from Denmark to Bergen, longer ferry crossing, which was excellent and good value with 3 of us sharing a cabin, it was a scenic crossing to hugging the coast and sailing in between the islands, this knocked a few miles off the trip for us. We returned via Finland because we attended a rally near the Russian border and sailed back from Helsinki to Germany, we still rode for over 5,000 miles though in 3 weeks.

Only just seen this but ha ha ha totally agree, I remember thinking that this was the Finnish equivalent of the M1, can see miles ahead and behind, not another vehicle in sight, to the left and right trees trees trees and more fucking trees

Do the West coast road using the little ferries of which some are electric it’s a must nicer route than the inland road through Norway. Turned back at Bodo after seeing the whirlpools as the route using the coast road had taken up a lot of time. But I will be back to get to Nordkapp

Back
Top Bottom