Mission - WW2 Germany

Thank you for the report and pictures. Daughter spent a year studying in Munich last year so we had several visits. Loved Nuremberg particularly the old town centre.
You could easily spend several days there. You could spend a day alone at the Palace of Justice where the trials were held. If you close your eyes you can almost hear the chanting of the crowds on the rally field. It is difficult to comprehend how Hitler whipped up so much fervour among so many people (mind you there was a degree of persuasion used to secure attendance).
If you are a German history aficionado and reader. I recommend East West Street by Philippe Sands. It is the story of how 2 separate academics from a Polish town occupied by the Nazis introduced Crimes against Humanity and Genocide, which were first tried at Nuremberg.

Thanks for the book suggestion :thumb2

Palace of Justice was a deffo on my 'must-see' list but it's closed on Tuesdays. Guess what day I was in Nuremberg? :D

Wapping is always banging on about Kurvinger, so rather than look at more depressing concentration camps, next day I plotted a route through the Harz Mountains (Hills, really) and it was brilliant. So good in fact that I kept on riding through forests, lakes and hills and didn't take any pix, sorry. Great roads :thumb2

It does work well. It’s really useful for just asking of it, “How do I get from A to B?”

:beerjug:

Good write-up and evidence of what can be done with a bit of imagination.

Thanks for taking the time to create it.

It was interesting to see the comparison between the type VII (same as U-534 at Birkenhead) and the type XXI (forerunner of modern submarines) :thumby: I've been aboard the U-505 in Chicago and that was very claustrophobic, despite it being a type IX and significantly bigger than the type VII.

A bit late getting to this report Arthur, but what an interesting ride. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Very enjoyable RR did something similar a few years back but missed out on the visit to Kiel as I had a boat to catch.

Thoroughly enjoyable read, with interesting facets of information, and great photographs.

Thank you :thumb2

:beerjug:

Superb report & piccies Arthur..
And on a great bike.. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to write that up ... most interesting. :)

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm hoping to reprise some of this trip in 2022. Nebulous plan at present is to have the bike transported again to Memmingen with Overlanders.ie but this time let them also do the return pick-up as well, instead of riding it home myself since that nice Mr Ryanair offers cheap as chips return flights to Dublin/Memmingen.

This gives me two weeks and I'm thinking of splitting it by heading back to Berchtesgaden for Week 1 - some unfinished business over there e.g. Eagle's Nest, Rosfeldstrasse again and some other planned WW2 stuff in the area which I missed last time.

Week 2 is a blank canvas, perhaps head East before dropping the bike back for pick-up. Either way, I'd like to stay in Bavaria/Southern Germany, perhaps Austria. Seven or eight flexible days for that.

Purpose of this post is seeking WW2 related recommendations from anyone with ideas. Thanks in advance .

Just read the whole post for the first time What. a great write up , really interesting , and thanks for posting

Back
Top Bottom