DCT Rear Brake Conversion

It’s something I want to do too simply for more control but definitely will be keeping the foot brake

Good thing here is you can simply unbolt it, or put it back on, depending on your ride planned.

That will be easy enough...

Ok.... I think I've pretty much got the left hand side brake lever sorted out.

It can be done using the Honda X-Adv kit.

Jonathan at Rugged Roads has been very helpful and helping me in the background. The only part missing at this end, is the brake hose that's long enough to reach the rear brake.

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 685
THE PROBLEM

The Problem is the Parking Brake Lever, which now has to be relocated......

This bit I'm stuck on. :nenau

I'm toying with the idea of a VFR/CrossTourer DCT rear parking brake handle. But don't know the diameter of the mounting bracket, or where it might go on the Africa Twin? Or even if it's compatible.

I've searched on Google and can't find anybody that's tried it? Or rejected it as a plan?

The Problem is the Parking Brake Lever, which now has to be relocated......

This bit I'm stuck on. :nenau

I'm toying with the idea of a VFR/CrossTourer DCT rear parking brake handle. But don't know the diameter of the mounting bracket, or where it might go on the Africa Twin? Or even if it's compatible.

I've searched on Google and can't find anybody that's tried it? Or rejected it as a plan?

Do away with the parking brake completely and use some aircraft chocks :D or a stick between the spokes:thumb2

Is the vrf brake different the the CRF one?

Do away with the parking brake completely and use some aircraft chocks :D or a stick between the spokes:thumb2

Is the vrf brake different the the CRF one?

Or just a rubber band round the throttle and front brake lever....

It’s cable operated in exactly the same way so thefore all you need to do is mount the VFR lever on the bars somewhere , if there is room, and then possible re route the cable slightly differently around the bike to allow for the fact that the lever will be more “inboard” than it’s current position so the cable will be slightly too long...or get the cable shortened.

I can go and measure the diameter of my bars where the lever is mounted if that helps ?

Or just a rubber band round the throttle and front brake lever....

This might just be the better option :thumb

It’s cable operated in exactly the same way so thefore all you need to do is mount the VFR lever on the bars somewhere , if there is room, and then possible re route the cable slightly differently around the bike to allow for the fact that the lever will be more “inboard” than it’s current position so the cable will be slightly too long...or get the cable shortened.

I can go and measure the diameter of my bars where the lever is mounted if that helps ?

This might just be the better option :thumb

Yes please Rushy, can you measure the bars?

Do you have the Handbrake Lever.... ?

When I had my Crosstourer DCT I think I used the handbrake once, it was next to useless

Just saying :nenau

Yes, same here. I'm seriously thinking of eliminating it. Although I think I'll need something by law, especially when leaving bike on a slope.

A thick cable tie would do the job, pre-looped, just hook it over the compressed lever...... when you need it....

Yes I do . The handlebars are fat bars. I just measured them and they taper down to a constant 21mm OD where are the controls are fitted including the handbrake lever . :thumb

Cheers, I'll have a look at that again tomorrow.

When I had my Crosstourer DCT I think I used the handbrake once, it was next to useless

Just saying :nenau

Yup. I recently fitted new rear pads to both callipers , adjusted the parking brake as per the manual and it was spot on . After one days riding I tried it and it seemed to have gone out of adjustment . The next time I tried 500 miles later was to hold the bike on a very steep hill whilst I took a photo. Didn’t hold it . I also tried to park up on the gated road leading down into Dent to hold open a gate and had to let one of the other lads do it or my bike would have just rolled off the side stand.

Yes, same here. I'm seriously thinking of eliminating it. Although I think I'll need something by law, especially when leaving bike on a slope.

A thick cable tie would do the job, pre-looped, just hook it over the compressed lever...... when you need it....

You can get cable ties that have a release on them so the are reusable :thumb

You can get cable ties that have a release on them so the are reusable :thumb

That's not how I intend to use them, but cheers for the idea.

I'll show a picture once I've done a mock up....

Ok here you go.

What about two cable ties.... one thick one (to be used as the main locking mechanism) and one very small one, to hold the big one to the lever.

Under normal force, it slides up and down the hand-guard rail. When needed for lockout, it needs to be pulled hard and looped over the handlebar.

As the main lockout cable tie is at an angle, it has to be manoeuvred into position, it can't accidentally flop into the locked position.

(The pictures may not be in sequence, but it shows the idea and in practice on the front brake lever)

Attachments

• 20190619_083010.jpg
    20190619_083010.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 661
  • 20190619_083027.jpg
    20190619_083027.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 673
  • 20190619_083045.jpg
    20190619_083045.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 653
  • 20190619_083058.jpg
    20190619_083058.jpg