Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

Yep checked the pins for the hundreth time

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it is the same socket. Pin 37 already has a connector in it. I pulled that extra connector and made sure once again that the pin numbers were correct but still no joy. EWS error then switched it back everything back to normal. (at least for a BMW). :D

If i had a diagram for the k1200gt maybe i could have a think and sus it out. But i don't.

As to kit from Bert in the Nederlands has anyone tried it?

I know i'm close to getting this done, but my brain will likely melt after.

too many people not listening - not having a pop at you - just trying to get one page that makes sense.....

this thread explains just two things - and a number of elements around the fun - its a GS forum and the RT and the K Series bike's whilst before 2014 were pretty much the same thing electrically, they are NOT identical

On a GS there are mostly two basic configurations

air cooled GS or GSA - without ESA but with a trip computer (the very early very basic 2004 GS had a float but was some odd ball) - either must have a strip OR the probeemer box

air cooled GS or GSA - with ESA gets a different ZFE with two main connectors and has the brains to cope with either a strip or a float

the K series bike - in the pdf 2 posts up looks like an S with the same type of cluster and they never got Cruise (as far as I know - and even if they did likely a muddle up like the RT)

air cooled RT - had electronics for cruise control and I suspect the idiots muddled up pins trying to wire ESA and Criuse plus a silly pointless leccy screen

following that logic a K1200 or 1300GT with a very different cluster and ability for all the toys quite likely used the wrong pins for the wrong things because BMW are plain stupid

YES the probeemer box works - I fitted one 3 months ago - but must remember they make 2 models - cheaper model for two socket ZFE bikes and one that's 20 euro's more for the single socket bikes - all it does is convert a grown up signal from the float to the gibberish the strip sends to the bike - the GS version for single connector ZFE Low bikes, needs power wires to run it, no doubt doing some insanity lying to the bike the heater element of the strip is doing its bit.

Probeemer box looks to be a little more rough and ready in its mid field accuracy - but I have never let it go full to empty without messing about - either cos belatedly wiring via a relay off the bikes 12v socket and then trying to optimise 0 miles to go on its range.

the fault BMW appear to burn into the bike to make it impossible to DIY, needs a functioning strip to clear (I believe first post says this, my bike was certainly like this with a 911 or motoscan)

the calibration process (you are supposed to do when fitting a new strip etc.) also has some naughty software locking out the display if you try to do this and it fails

don't try to calibrate a strip if you have a probeemer box fitted. It doesn't work.

the piezo ignitor fix is a real fix (short term) and a nice way around much of the hell BMW deliberately built in to screw owners

adding two wires - scout the bins a local dealership they'll be 5 dead strips they replaced this week in there alongside 3 old rear shocks - is a better way forward than re-pinning as when it doesn't work u don't have the fight - you need to crimp two pins on the other end - links further back in older posts for the new pins

I bet BMW could make an update that would allow ZFE Low bikes to work either or - its probably just adding a few lines of code they wrote 13 years ago to these bikes

a hero could probably mix and match software creating an air cooled GS that had cruise and a float but no ESA - getting it on the bike would be a fight - a work around would be hacking an RT ZFE, using a probeemer box and mixing up wiring looms etc. The RT puts the cruise wires on the second ZFE connector as well has having the ambient temp sensor on the wrong pins for no reason at all (drug induced or drunken stupidity at the factory is I suspect why you already have pin 37 occupied) - of course to get a BMW to accept you are throwing software at it you'd need to know how to operate a hookey ISTA P set up - as you need to get at the Vehicle order and play VIN numbers in second hand modules

and whilst covering most of BMs electrical insanity in one post - the K1600 to MY 21 never had knock sensors - because an accountant wanted 3p more bonus - for euro 5 they fitted some and it now make more power 1000 rpm lower using the same engine and cams - tossers....

Fair enogh

I will order the probeemer box and get a used strip or make the resister mod to clear the code. Been stalking these forums for months before switching the strip over to the float on the bike and ran into this mess. I needed the correct answer and definitive answer is what you gave. Thank you sir. If you are ever in Santa Fe, I'll buy you a pint or three.

make sure you buy the correct bit he sells two types - or get busy with a raspberry pi and get programming - might be faster than the post to USA

Yeah. Got it figured which to buy. I also thought about using a PI or just a chip on a breadboard but don't want to be farting about with learning what that strip needs to send. Could do it with a functioning one but knowing BMW they are interjecting something stupid there too. I have a working bike and can wait for a fix and i don't mind sending the cash as a thank you to someone who has already done the work. Thanks again.

Air cooled GS or GSA - with ESA gets a different ZFE with two main connectors and has the brains to cope with either a strip or a float
I'll have to dig out all the paperwork i have, but the above should add

Any GS or GSA without ESA, but with one of the following ZFE's will work ..

there were 3 ZFE's if i recall low mid and high, one will not work as it dosent have the required pin out's the other two will work , but one only if certain options are not on the bike

snooping around ebay I seem to recollect I found 4

ZFE basic low
ZFE basic high (I have one of these)
think I have seen a ZFE mid but it's quite rare
ZFE high

It works great googly moogly, it works!

I went back through the posts, all of them. The issue was i was an idiot, (was?) anyway, i was not using the correct connector. Once i found it under the right side fairing everything looked like the picture in the pdf.

I swapped the pins, (I know, not what I should do, don't care) used the obdbLink LX and motoscan for BMW motorcycles, (the ultimate version). reset the code setting to potentiometer. saved (after losing connection 2 times) disconnected everything, turned ignition off, and then started the bike. Error still there but took it for a drive and it cleared before i got out of the driveway. Shows 1 bar down for fuel (almost full, like it should) . I did not need to clear error using a working fuel strip.

Thank you so much. I could not have figured out this mess without this forum.

Big thank you to Botus! :beerjug:

Dang it Bob, great news - which K bike did you fix? a GT or others with a cluster like the GS and do you have cruise?

I have a 2008 K1200GT ESA and cruise. No more yellow triangle, man that drove me nuts!

thanks - make one wonder why an RT has a hissey fit - or is that just mumbo jumbo confusion in the mix ??

yep the flashing nag is offensive - and no fuel gauge once you got used to it is really horrible

Hi, everyone.

Hello, everyone.
First I want to apologize for my bad English.
I, like everyone here, have a problem with a non-working fuel strip
I read the whole forum and watched everything on YouTube.
Shortly after my fuel strip stopped working, I also had to replace the fuel pump due to a clogged filter
I ordered the pump at Motorrad BMW Bulgaria by VIN:WB10307A67ZU69814 - made in nov 2007)
.It arrived in a float kit. I was happy because I thought it would fix the problem with the fuel strip.
I disconnected the fuel strip and I connected the fuel float and then I
installed back to the fuel tank.
The system did not work at all, an orange triangle came on and a message that there was no fuel.
I went to the Motorrad BMW service for software installation of the new level gauge. They put the latest software for my bike there because they thought that was the problem.
It turned out that they couldn't do that there either, because there was no option in the menu
My question to you is what I can and should do. I can order the module I need and wire it up without moving the cable pins. I can only change the cable pins. Will this have a positive effect? What is the correct action?

Thank you very much. Have good tires and good weather.

Hello, everyone.

I ordered the pump at Motorrad BMW Bulgaria by VIN:WB10307A67ZU69814 - made in nov 2007)
.It arrived in a float kit. I was happy because I thought it would fix the problem with the fuel strip.
I disconnected the fuel strip and I connected the fuel float and then I installed back to the fuel tank.
The system did not work at all, an orange triangle came on and a message that there was no fuel.
I went to the Motorrad BMW service for software installation of the new level gauge. They put the latest software for my bike there because they thought that was the problem.
It turned out that they couldn't do that there either, because there was no option in the menu

My question to you is what I can and should do. I can order the module I need and wire it up without moving the cable pins. I can only change the cable pins. Will this have a positive effect? What is the correct action?

Thank you very much. Have good tires and good weather.

what age bike ? there was a recall for a free new fuel pump circa 2015 on certain bikes as it cracks and sends high pressure fuel causing a fire or falling off risk. My Jun 2007 built bike got free pump) it s did not have a float

there are TWO optional toy configurations that are most common between a 2006 to 2013 bikes

1) no ESA can't use a float
2) has ESA can use a float or a strip

if you want to use a float on a non float build ESA equipped bike, you need to re pin the wires at the ZFE to suit the change, and change software coding in two places - no BMW dealer will know this or indeed do this job

if you can't be bothered to fight the fuel strip anymore but don't have ESA, you have to convert the signals sent from the float to those received by the strip pin inputs at the ZFE. The easiest way is to get the probeemer conversion box from the guy in NL. But it really needs the float mounted on the filler cap (as per later bikes) or the thing can go a bit mental if you leave it running on the side stand, and generally get erratic when half empty (other than that full up or with 60 miles to go it works perfectly )

what age bike ? there was a recall for a free new fuel pump circa 2015 on certain bikes as it cracks and sends high pressure fuel causing a fire or falling off risk. My Jun 2007 built bike got free pump) it s did not have a float

there are TWO optional toy configurations that are most common between a 2006 to 2013 bikes

if you want to use a float on a non float build ESA equipped bike, you need to re pin the wires at the ZFE to suit the change, and change software coding in two places - no BMW dealer will know this or indeed do this job

if you can't be bothered to fight the fuel strip anymore but don't have ESA, you have to convert the signals sent from the float to those received by the strip pin inputs at the ZFE. The easiest way is to get the probeemer conversion box from the guy in NL. But it really needs the float mounted on the filler cap (as per later bikes) or the thing can go a bit mental if you leave it running on the side stand, and generally get erratic when half empty (other than that full up or with 60 miles to go it works perfectly )

Thank you very much for your reply,
My bike doesn't have ESA... and that's a fact. What is your opinion on changing the pins like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTfoakxkBq4?
It seems easy to do because it will take me a day's work at most. Which won't cost me anything, just time for realization.
Interesting fact why they sent me this float kit given my order was by VIN number. But that's another topic. They do whatever they want.

its very easy to swap the wires to new pin locations - but it will give you nothing - except the need to take the tank off to put it back to std when you buy a new fuel strip

you can use the wires from a broken fuel strip (u will need to crimp connectors on the end you cut from the old strip) and add a second set of wires to the new location so you can try both pairs of pin outs on the ZFE - but it will give you nothing - other than the fact you'll still have the wires in the right place when you buy a new fuel strip

bikes without the ZFE HIGH module have never had the software to make the float sensor work - and never will because BMW are stupid - ALL ESA bikes had the twin socket ZFE HIGH module

Thanks for the reply. Not what I wanted to hear, but now I know. Since I think paying for something that doesn't have a long life is stupid, I'll solder four resistors and remove the yellow triangle. then i will reset the odometer every time i refuel.

I just worked out the point of your puzzling question..... and now get your confusion (sorry) - my simple table how to know your options, in 1) and 2) was missing a vital comma, it was supposed to say

1) no ESA, can't use a float

its what moderators are really good at fixing :okay

Hello.
Have read the whole thread but still have a question. I own an early 2010 GSA, ESA (ZFE high) that has a fuel strip and want to convert to float. I see "Thermocouples FLS08" with my Motoscan but don't see "INDUCTIVE_FUEL_SENSOR" . Is it possible to convert my bike when I cannot deactivate the inductive sensor? Best regards from a snowy Sweden.

where are you looking - one is the ZFE I forget is the other in the kombi?

on the first post (which unfortunately is so old its using a version of motoscan before the dev added my idea to place the name of the module in the bottom blue footer, so we all know which module we are playing in) we don't know for sure if BOTH his instructions are in the same module.

I think the dev renamed one of them and if you have the wrong ZFE you don't have the second choice to swap / enable (which is why it can't work) . I also suspect the side stand switch (you can see in that post) which mine doesn't have, is to reduce the side-stand idling fuel level corruption

Go to central chase electronics ZFE
and find Thermo Coupler FLS 08 and change the value to Potentiometer. Press CODE
Next, find INDUCTIVE FUEL SENSOR change to"deactivate" press code.

OK I didn't explain clearly enough.
I'm swedish so my english is not that good, sorry.
When I try to recode my motorcycle using Motoscan ultitimate + Unicarscan bluetooth, INDUCTIVE_FUEL_SENSOR is not present.
It does not exist in the menu.

Edit:
As I understand it (as I said, my English is not that good) others in this thread have also come across this. In e.g. post #49 mentions vee5 that "I don't see a parameter for INDUCTIVE_FUEL_SENSOR so I guess I have a different ZFE version".
I am therefore guessing that there are ZFEs that do not have a coding option to remove the inductive sensor. What I can't figure out is if it still works or if my bike can't be converted to a float with the ZFE I have.
Best regards

Back
Top Bottom