Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

Update on my conversion to float sensor.
The fuel gauge is a bit optimistic when the tank is between 1/1 to 3/4 level and the range calculator is also more hopeful than
the actual range. At 1/2 everything is correct but when I approach the 1/4 level the gauge is a bit pessimistic and shows only one bar a bit early, the estimated range then decreases in the same way. The warning light came on when I was only 4km from a gas station and I was then able to fill the bike up with 26.75 l of petrol, which should mean that I had about 6 l left, the range calculator then considered that I had 90 km before the fuel ran out.
I am very happy with how this conversion works and feel the fuel gauge is accurate enough for my needs.

Thanks for all the tips I got in this thread, I wouldn't have solved this without good information.
Best regards from Alf in Sweden.

Hello all,

I am attempting this conversion now, but have run into some problems:

- Cannot get the fuel fault to clear (I've made a breadboard circuit with resistors).
- couldn't get the bike to read the fuel float.

Process:
I initially didn't try to clear the fuel fault before starting the conversion; I installed the float sensor, swapped pins on zfe, programmed via motoscan and ran the bike for a few minutes: no change.

After no change, I've now swapped zfe pins back to original, mounted everything, and installed my bread board circuit to the 4-pin fuel sensor connection (to simulate the resistance of a working strip) in an effort to clear the fault; fault still active.

Currently the bike is configured as original (except the installed fuel float)

Any ideas?
Some of the YouTubers seem to not even swap pins on this conversion (?)

My motoscan says my zfe is k25 "high"

Would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Greeting brains trust,
I am at a loss on how to fix this problem,
I have a K25 2012 R1200GS that has a fuel level sensor fault A2E9, and has the potentiometer fuel level sensor.
So far I have checked the following and unable to rectify the problem.
1. Fuel level sensor resistance 6 to 76 ohms no open circuit and tested at the fuel pump cover terminals
2 . Wiring continuity from fuel level sensor terminals back to ZFE terminals 21 & 37
3. Tested continuity from fuel level sensor terminal with a 10 ohm resistor back to terminals 21 & 37 = 10 Ohms
Motoscan ZFE fuel level set to potentiometer and not fuel strip
So I believe that the fuel level sensor and associated wiring is OK.
Is there anything else that will prevent the ZFE from reading the fuel level sensor , in the Motoscan app setting perhaps?
Or can I turn the low fuel warning off?

Greeting brains trust,
I have a K25 2012 R1200GS that has a fuel level sensor fault A2E9, and has the potentiometer fuel level sensor.
1. Fuel level sensor resistance 6 to 76 ohms no open circuit and tested at the fuel pump cover terminals
2 . Wiring continuity from fuel level sensor terminals back to ZFE terminals 21 & 37
3. Tested continuity from fuel level sensor terminal with a 10 ohm resistor back to terminals 21 & 37 = 10 Ohms
Is there anything else that will prevent the ZFE from reading the fuel level sensor , in the Motoscan app setting perhaps?
Did you just install the potentiometer? (Float switch) or did the fault come about after you've had the float installed for a while?

I was able to sort out my fuel float conversion (the post above yours) today.

I also had the A2E9 fault.

I fixed my fault by buying a fuel strip & calibrating it to the bike before swapping wiring, programming, and hardware to the fuel float conversion.

Being a 2012 GS it should have the lever / potentiometer sender.
I would start at the basics by re-booting the ZFE , There is a live feed to the ZFE even with the ignition switched off . Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, just an easy free starting point.

Greeting brains trust,

... Visual check of the float through gas tank fill to see if it's stuck(?)

The price of the 2010 on float potentiometer has taken off over here, this seems to be catching on.
If available, the asking price is often in excess of €200.
If anyone has one on the bench, awaiting fitting, can you look for the manufacturer's part number? BMW don't make these, they are made by someone else and probably the only BMW specific part of the design will be the shape of the arm and the electrical connector.
A more generic, at least easier to find, part may be adaptable ...

from post #1

drawings for the
K25 (R 1200 GS) R 1200 GS 08 (0303,0313) shows the strip
K25 (R 1200 GS) R 1200 GS 10 (0450,0460) the float comes on bikes with the ZFE high (aka only bikes with ESA) otherwise it won't operate....
as first per link below - if you want the tank filler clip with the float included - the part is more costly part 10 here ... (the float is the same it clips to the filler neck bit or without, directly on to the pump, but then the gauge reads badly on 20 litre tank bikes.... hence the filler neck clip

magic part number... different part without the clip - same digits

from post #166
new part number for the Strip element

was Fuel level sensor 1 16147675547 £175 plus vat
now Fuel level sensor 1 16141600132 £150 plus vat[/B][/B]

Last edited:
@botus , do you havevone to hand, by any chance? BMW part number 16148554065, for the Adventure 2010 9n models.
It will have been made by one of the likes of VDO, Magnetti Marelli, VIKÄ etc. It will bear the name and part number of the manufacturer, as well as BMWs part number.
Sourcing these outside of the BMW supply chain could have some "cost efficiencies".
That is what I was asking about. The BMW part numbers are easily findable in this thread and on the online parts' fiches. I am being a cheapskate and trying to avoid the addirional premiums payable for being supplied via a BMW dealership parts counter.

Despite my reservations about the integrity of the shop, I tried one of the Fuel Sensor Tech sensors :

Fuel Sensor Tech shop

Deliveru was made from Barcelona snd taxes were paid correctly. I am in France, I could not say whether the UK import process wpuld be the same, I get the feeling it would be.

It is a generic online pop-up shop, so favoured by the here-today gone-tomorrow ebandits, hence my hesitation. Instructions are in the form of youTube videos, only in Spanish with Spanish subtitles.
The video does explain, at great length, what the issue is and how they resolved it. Bear with it to see what needs doing. You need to solder the cable tails to your existing in tank wires, follow the colour coding not the order of the wires, the strip is intended for multiple models.

It works, no need to change any ECU pins. I did use my GS-911 to calibrate it but I think the video says thay you could ignore that step.
It read empty with 5 litres in, now reads about 2/3 full with another 21 litres on top.
Only time can tell how long it will last.
Getting the old out and new in is a bit fiddly. Empty the tank and remove the filler neck assembly to make life easy. Im no way do I have Popeye forearms, there was no way that I could get my arm in to reach the hook at the filler neck. Pop the filler neck off, it will be quicker 😉
I spent a lit if time trying to work out how the bottom end is meant to be held in place, with no fuel I could see what was going on. I had to change my tank because the filler neck screws were titakky rusted into the inserts. The replacement tank is from a 2011 machine - which does not have a little bulge in the bottom of the tank to wedge a strip in place.
Thanks to @botus for finding that.

Last edited:
Hi
I have discovered this by mistake...I was working on the ESA r1200gs and it makes change from my suspension posts...
The main thingis it works!
And you don't need any magical devices!!!
So before you start you will need
1 OEM FLOAT TYPE SENSOR FOR YOUR MODEL
anyK25 After 2010 should have one...(not early 2010 gsa this comes with strip)
GSA float is mounted on the pump
GS float is mounted on the fuel cup
This includes models from 2006 to 2010 ADV (I'm working on 2010ADV)
2 Moto Scan App with OBD linkLx
3 basic mechanical skill and tools

FIRST Make sure your tank is fairly empty!!! REMOVE THE FUEL STRIP AND INSTALL THE FLOAT (I DON'T HAVE THE PICTURES SHOWING THAT )float for GSA on the fuel pump picture one

Now time to make it work
For the ZFE to be able to read the new sensor you need to swop the pins in the main connector pin 34 (green with red trace )and 35(brown with blue trace) needs to be moved to 21 and 37 on the ZFE connector
Picture 2
Check the pictures on how to disassemble the connector and remove blanking pins.
After removing transparent retainer push on the black and white inserts they will come out then remove the top part by pressing four little clips in every corner
Next, remove blanking pins in the location 37 black connector and 21 white connectors.
Swop the cable and insert blanking pins in the old locations 34,35 this will stop moisture going into the connector
On the pictures below...

Programming!
Without this computer "ZFE" doesn't know you just installed float type sensor...
Connect the cable find your bike on the list K25ADV in my case...
Go to central chase electronics ZFE
and find Thermo Coupler FLS 08 and change the value to Potentiometer. Press CODE
Next, find INDUCTIVE FUEL SENSOR change to"deactivate" press code.
You're done! Your old lady finally knows how to measure fuel properly no more yellow triangle...
Install the tank and other connectors.
Why BMW didn't do that on the recall???
You can get fuel float on ebuy or Motorworks for about 40-80 subject to availability I guess...
If anyone needs more explanation just ask If not me maybe someone else will assist you

I'm using a spare pump with sensor to demonstrate how it works
float is already in the tank...
Good luck with the conversion.

92b65f893f07eb898e2ed86b098ebe0b.jpg
b7d0f41300a756d7aeb0e7daa8ab2aed.jpg
55f809fa29cc432a6cbcfb3f3b896c48.jpg
81bd7ea8b5485af5925d2196d8aa7d03.jpg
676fdc13f9a5bd89da3deaff2d73e4ef.jpg
925c8f86db3fc49bb8adbce6952f0833.jpg
d7e9ebcf45b52e707f6efa1daa5c435c.jpg
97b26e97608e834dd9255954faa7ed95.jpg
a09a5ec325597d5ed7a8f098f1922bea.jpg
86f14ae4240100c695a3bd0d18b61bdb.jpg
898b659d4c842e899561fc531365a544.jpg
458c8d233694948e72ffd7b9e58fb81b.jpg
3dd232b34924f600de07c69ea0e2a77e.jpg
336937c4bb0be1dd8c7b873f288df322.jpg
d7a52bc583d41615f672661b2ef5cc56.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I have n '07 K1200R n want to do the switch from faulty strip to float. A few on here said they bought float off ebay for $20 to$40. Maybe I am looking for wrong part because nothing under $200 n thats a used one. If anyone knows where to find the float I can use in my bike, PLEASE advise.
Thanks

you can only do this IF you have the ZFE High module - bikes with only the Basic or Basic High ZFE do not have the software code to know what to do with the signals the float sends out

you get the ZFE high when u have ESA and I guess when you have Cruise Control... if, as it says, u r in the US try this

https://www.fuelsensortech.com/en
our fuel strip sensor was developed to be extremely durable since, due to its design, it is not subjected to any thermal stress (cause of breakage of the original sensors). Through the use of a microprocessor, the sensor manages to function exactly like the original, offering immediate replacement and extreme durability.

Last edited:
you can only do this IF you have the ZFE High module - bikes with only the Basic or Basic High ZFE do not have the software code to know what to do with the signals the float sends out

you get the ZFE high when u have ESA and I guess when you have Cruise Control... if, as it says, u r in the US try this

https://www.fuelsensortech.com/en
our fuel strip sensor was developed to be extremely durable since, due to its design, it is not subjected to any thermal stress (cause of breakage of the original sensors). Through the use of a microprocessor, the sensor manages to function exactly like the original, offering immediate replacement and extreme durability.
I have to Disagree I have a R1200GSA (2008) With a ZFE Low (Basic) Just done the conversion from film to lever changed over wiring connectors and re-coded with the moto scan ultimate working just perfect. The adaptor for the moto scan £120 from china and Software £36 from moto scan More cost affective and more useful than the Hex gs911 that i bought for over £300

you'd be one o
I have to Disagree I have a R1200GSA (2008) With a ZFE Low (Basic) Just done the conversion from film to lever changed over wiring connectors and re-coded with the moto scan ultimate working just perfect. The adaptor for the moto scan £120 from china and Software £36 from moto scan More cost affective and more useful than the Hex gs911 that i bought for over £300
you'd be one of two saying this works -

maybe the Basic LOW works - Basic HIGH doesn't

I guess you don't have TMPS? how about ABS?

rather than make one decent circuit board and saving 10 million - by not designing, testing, writing training documentation, adding flexibility for each version of software tools, software updates, fulfilling a complex supply chain to make sure the correct bike got the correct module, maintaining parts lists, and asking the supplier to make four units - the MORONS could have made one like a grown up

Last edited:
Update regarding my conversion to float.
As I said, the software in my motorcycle lacks coding for "INDUCTIVE FUEL SENSOR", but it doesn't seem to matter in my case.
I just changed "Thermo Coupler FLS 08" to "Potentiometer", swop the pins in the ZFE and my new float sensor worked immediately.
However, I had to recalibrate the sensor so that the float would give the correct values when the tank is empty or full.
I had to angle the arm and also twist it. Now I have 88ohm with empty tank and 4ohm with full which seems to be correct. The float also comes free from the transfer hose which it didn't do at first.
Will come back in a month when I've driven the bike, it's -7 and a meter of snow here.
Best regards from Sweden!

https://postimg.cc/KKWZ9D0n

It had 73 ohm at empty:

https://postimg.cc/zycZ5XTN

Had to twist it:

https://postimg.cc/23D5g2zw

And bend it:

https://postimg.cc/061grXXX
What is the part number on your ZFE ?

So now we have low, medium and high zfe along with a basic version of each?

My conversion doesn't work very well. It shows full then drops after 130 miles or so one block then very slowly until showing half and that's the lot. The range is out as well, 480 miles or so when full and 280 at half and stays there. I just use the trip but that means filling it everytime as putting a small amount in I'll forget how much when I next use it.

Is an 09 with ESA, ABS, TPMS, ASC etc so it's got to be a high ZFE.

Back
Top Bottom