Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

Great work Denzo and great write up, thank you :bow.
Anyone know how much a new float unit is from a dealer? Second hand units are hard to come by, tried Motorworks last week for one after speaking to you and none on shelf. Wouldnt it be ironic if they are cheaper than a new fuel strip.
Re. what tool its the Moto Scan App with OBD linkLx (green unit shown in one of the photos) - other, cheaper clones may not do the business.

Ordered my new float sensor today from Cotswold Motorad £102

@PAPAPITUFO - yes, the first OBD i used was a cheap one from Ali with ELM327 v1.5 - read and cleared all errors, but coding needs a long string writing, and this wasnt able to do that job. Therefore i bought UniCarScan BT Diagnoseadapter and it works perfect - coding done successfully :)
@landmarkjohn - i wasnt able to buy float from GSA2010 with correct length and shaped float wire, so i bought a second hand float version from GSA2007 (it is the same potentiometer, only with different shape of wire - from potentiometer to the float) and I have to create the same shape as the GSA2010 float has, from stainless steel wire 2.4mm (should be 2.5, but i cant find it anywhere). It is important to check, if the float moves freely inside the tank without any collision.

@PAPAPITUFO - yes, the first OBD i used was a cheap one from Ali with ELM327 v1.5 - read and cleared all errors, but coding needs a long string writing, and this wasnt able to do that job. Therefore i bought UniCarScan BT Diagnoseadapter and it works perfect - coding done successfully :)
OK. Thank you. I thought it could be that, I'm going to buy another one like yours. Cheers

Not yet, I have the part now, waiting for an opportunity to get the job done.
49400718637_97166cec3d_z.jpg

49400512931_68c74e8b35_z.jpg

When I replaced the pump in my 2012 twin cam I noted the resistance of the float type sending unit for future reference.
3.5 ohms full & 88.5 ohms empty,
0 to 100 ohms are common values for automotive tank sending units, just the adapting of aftermarket units.

When I replaced the pump in my 2012 twin cam I noted the resistance of the float type sending unit for future reference.
3.5 ohms full & 88.5 ohms empty,
0 to 100 ohms are common values for automotive tank sending units, just the adapting of aftermarket units.

Thanks a lot!

Denz0-

I found this thread due to a fuel strip issue on my 08 K12s. After three replacements under warranty I wanted a new solution. Based on your research and a little trial and error, we have been able to make this work on a few K1200s bikes using a float setup from a K1300s.

For anyone wanting to know our pathway, please see here. It’s a bit different with what pins get swapped. Refer to post 40.
https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/40-k12-1300s/47211-fuel-strip-thought-4.html

Many thanks!

Rtx9r-

I notice in the link to your posting that it was mentioned in the wiring diagram for the K1200s that the float part was missing and only shows the fuel sensor, now this appears to be similar to the R1200RT, so this has put a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for the RT owners.

I already have a float waiting to drop in and I also have the OBDII links stuff.....all I need now is time and space.....perhaps a little heat too, to go and investigate mine.

I think this is great news - well done.

Another fuel strip to float conversion using this guide is a success
It took a pandemic to give me the time to work on the bike, but this weekend I removed the fuel strip and swapped the wires over in the bike to let the dash read the fuel level from the float sender.
I had emptied the tank of fuel, so when I first turned ignition on it was reading one bar which later went to no bars.
I dropped about 5 litres of fuel in to get me to the garage and put a further 15 litres in. Within seconds of restarting at the garage I was getting a high reading on the gauge.
Big thanks to the guide posted here and also the guide here which covers the same process for a K1200S.

I also videod the journey but I have since found this excellent Youtube video, which details the experience much better than I could here
OK, its in Spanish, but you can get the gist

I also videod the journey but I have since found this excellent Youtube video, which details the experience much better than I could here
OK, its in Spanish, but you can get the gist

It would be great if you could publish your video endeavours as well, rough and all as it may be I would appreciate it..... especially if it has "don't do this" advice :D

I have to do this and swapping around leads on an ECU is not for the faint of heart.

No offence to to OP and other contributors.

I agree the wiring side had held me back, however now Ive done it - its not too bad and as with all DIY jobs on the bike it gives you confidence in another area on the bike that you normally wouldnt see.
I do intend to publish the video, however I have noticed my chassis number is on full view. Im trying a few different video editing tools to try and blur that area.

Back
Top Bottom