Transferring latest map update from Zumo 660 to Mapsource

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
Ever since moving to Macs ten years ago I've been running Mapsource via a Windows XP virtual machine (Parallels Desktop) under Mac OS X. This enables me to have Mapsource running in a window on the Mac desktop.

I have Olaf's MarocTopo Map which I believe is loaded on the Zumo internal storage.

I have now updated my Zumo 660 to the latest CN Europe NT 2019.20 maps and these are now on a MicroSD card in the Zumo. I now need to backload the 2019.20 maps into Mapsource, otherwise every route I plan would be recalculated when I download it to the Zumo.

I did this two or three years ago but can't remember the procedure, maybe it was some technique I found on the zumoforums. I tried uploading via Mapsource but that doesn't work, it can retrieve the Olaf maps but not the CN Europe.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Any good:

When I connect my device, Garmin Express opens. I can then click Device and see all the stuff on my device (not the data, but the meta data). A part of that is the installed maps on the device. If I open that map, I can choose to install it on the computer as well: open "On device and computer".

Yes, I saw that, but I don't have Garmin Express loaded on my Mac, just MapSource, MapInstall, and WebUpdater. I downloaded Garmin Express but it won't load on Windows XP, it says it needs Windows 7.

So I wonder how I managed to backload the 2014.10 maps into MapSource before?

No idea, I’m afraid.

One idea. Can you load BaseCamp? BaseCamp draws the maps from the device automatically. It really is not as unfriendly as people make out and it works really well on a Mac. I don’t know one end of a computer from another, if I can work it on my Mac, any twit can.

I'll take another look at BaseCamp. I would need it to operate seamlessly with DropBox so that I can share the same monolithic file setup between my devices. The work involved in moving stuff over could be frightening.

I use BaseCamp on my Mac, desktop and laptop. It works perfectly with DropBox and several other file / data storage dump things. It also links seamlessly with memory sticks, which I find useful.

If you are competent with Mapsource on a PC, BaseCamp is really no harder on a Mac.

Back
Top Bottom